GM SB aluminum q-jet intake manifold - Chevelle Tech
Chevelle Tech join team chevelle as a supporting member  
Chevelle Parts at SS396.com      
GROUND UP & SS396.com         
Official Sponsor of Team Chevelle

Auto Insurance

Chevelles.com is the premier Chevrolet Chevelle Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Engine AdvertisementGeneral Engine Discussion.

Old Jul 16th, 07, 9:47 PM
Senior Tech Team

Send a message via AIM to bri2203
Default GM SB aluminum q-jet intake manifold

I am looking to buy a SB aluminum q-jet intake for my chevelle so I can loose a few pounds and maybe gain a small amount of power.

I've considered the Edelbrock performer rpm q-jet version but it does not have a choke provision and if it has an exhaust crossover it does not have a heat shield.

What years did GM offer a SBC aluminum q-jet intake manifolds? I am pretty sure in the late 70s corvettes had them.

Should I just stick witht he cast iron unit?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Jul 16th, 07, 10:11 PM
Team Member
Tom

Default Re: GM SB aluminum q-jet intake manifold

You are pretty much on the mark there! The late 70s Vettes had an alum intake with a Q-jet bolt pattern-----------------------BUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUT, they also had provision for an EGR valve. In my opinion, that RUINS the manifold!!!!!
Up through 72, the FACTORY Chevy alum manifolds (for SBs) had Holley bolt patterns (62-3 had an AFB bolt pattern). Prior to 62 (56-61) the factory Chevy alum intakes were for 2x4 carbs (Carter WCFBs).
My all time favorite intake setup (for a SB and Q-jet) is one of the early style (67-72) Z28 intakes with a Mr. Gasket adapter plate and a Q-jet.
This is on my 70 conv with a SB400.

#3 FOREVER!!!!!
Light travels faster than sound. That is why some people appear to be bright until you hear them speak. (unknown)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old Jul 16th, 07, 10:38 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Steve

A regular Eledbrock Performer would be much easier and cheaper to find, and probably work just as well for what you are asking it to do.
Old Jul 16th, 07, 11:40 PM
Gold Member

There are at least two of the aluminum qjet stock manifolds. I have some of them. One type looks like an ordinary manifold and the other has a water crossover passage at the the rear for which there is no known explanation.
Old Jul 16th, 07, 11:54 PM
Senior Tech Team
Derrick

the stock aluminum q jet intakes are junk. they are light, but they warp and crack easily.
a regular Perfromer will make more power than one of them, and has provisions for the stock hot air choke. if you want it to look original, grind off all Edelbrock identifying marks and paint it orange.

-Hank Hill
Old Jul 17th, 07, 12:21 AM
Super Mod
Rich

I have a Performer RPM Q-jet Edelbrock manifold on my SB400 and it has a divorced choke so I know if they aren't making them now they did at one time. I got mine used on ebay for a bargain price and it was in great shape except for being a little dirty. It's a great manifold.

I did find out that you have to buy or make a new choke rod since the manifold is taller than a stock manifold and the distance from the carb and where the choke coil attaches is greater than it is on a stock manifold.

It's number 7104, here's the one you want (looks like it's still available new): http://store.summitracing.com/partde...4&autoview=sku

There are also a few for sale on ebay right now.
NCOA member #220
ACES member #1670
Team Chevelle #998
1965 Malibu SS L79 Restoration Page
1965 Two-Door Wagon Project Progress Page
2006 Pontiac GTO Preservation Project
Rich Cummings

Last edited by Rich-L79; Jul 17th, 07 at 12:33 AM.
Old Jul 17th, 07, 2:06 AM
Tech Team

I have the same manifold as Rich, but I went with an electric choke conversion from Carquest. It works great!
Old Jul 17th, 07, 10:39 AM
Super Mod
Rich

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big O Dave View Post
I have the same manifold as Rich, but I went with an electric choke conversion from Carquest. It works great!
On a previous Q-Jet I had the same electric choke and it did work great.
NCOA member #220
ACES member #1670
Team Chevelle #998
Rich Cummings
Old Jul 18th, 07, 10:39 PM
Senior Tech Team

Send a message via AIM to bri2203

Quote:
Originally Posted by DZAUTO View Post
You are pretty much on the mark there! The late 70s Vettes had an alum intake with a Q-jet bolt pattern-----------------------BUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUT, they also had provision for an EGR valve. In my opinion, that RUINS the manifold!!!!!
Up through 72, the FACTORY Chevy alum manifolds (for SBs) had Holley bolt patterns (62-3 had an AFB bolt pattern). Prior to 62 (56-61) the factory Chevy alum intakes were for 2x4 carbs (Carter WCFBs).
My all time favorite intake setup (for a SB and Q-jet) is one of the early style (67-72) Z28 intakes with a Mr. Gasket adapter plate and a Q-jet.
This is on my 70 conv with a SB400.

I considered using a z28 manifold(know of a 68 I can get cheap) with an adapter plate like you are suggesting. But I was planning on using vette LT-1 valve covers then I have two different spots to add oil. Still a possibility tho.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich-L79 View Post
I have a Performer RPM Q-jet Edelbrock manifold on my SB400 and it has a divorced choke so I know if they aren't making them now they did at one time. I got mine used on ebay for a bargain price and it was in great shape except for being a little dirty. It's a great manifold.

I did find out that you have to buy or make a new choke rod since the manifold is taller than a stock manifold and the distance from the carb and where the choke coil attaches is greater than it is on a stock manifold.

It's number 7104, here's the one you want (looks like it's still available new): http://store.summitracing.com/partde...4&autoview=sku

There are also a few for sale on ebay right now.
According to Summit the Performer is best between idle to 5500 and the Performer RPM is best between 1500 to 6500.

I don't think my car will ever see 6000 rpm so would I be better off with the Performer instead of the Performer RPM?
Old Jul 18th, 07, 11:18 PM
Super Mod
Rich

Quote:
Originally Posted by bri2203 View Post
According to Summit the Performer is best between idle to 5500 and the Performer RPM is best between 1500 to 6500.

I don't think my car will ever see 6000 rpm so would I be better off with the Performer instead of the Performer RPM?
Well, I have mine on a basically stock truck engine SB400 that rarely if ever sees the high side of 4500 and I don't think it's too much manifold for my engine. Mine also has small heads which along with the small cam probably limits the engine quite a bit but I feel the engine has more pep all around, idles better and has more power above 3000 than it did with the stock Q-Jet iron manifold.

The Performer is pretty small and will probably provide a bit more low end torque but won't let the engine breathe much better than a stock manifold. I think you'd be happier with the Performer RPM if you have a 350 or larger small block. Additionally, with the RPM you could make other mods to the engine without having to upgrade the intake to take full advantage of the new mods.

When I installed mine I also installed a lifter valley splash shield. It only cost $20 and helps keep oil off the hot cross-over passage on the bottom of the manifold. They also help keep the lifters in place if a rocker or push rod were to fail.
NCOA member #220
ACES member #1670
Team Chevelle #998
Rich Cummings
Old Jul 19th, 07, 7:47 PM
Team Member
GREG

You will probably be better off with a performer 2101 made for 86 and earlier model cars,the performer rpm is square bore and you will need an adapter plate, the perfomer 2101is made for spreadbore carbs like q-jet and has provisions for a q-jet choke mechanism which you can purchase a kit with the intake that will work with the q-jet, there are a couple on ebay but oreilly auto has them in my area for $130.00,i have heard the dual plane 2101s work well and give you anywhere from 20 to 50 extra hp.
Old Jul 19th, 07, 8:21 PM
Senior Tech Team
Roland

Personally, I'd take the GM cast iron manifold over the PERFORMER (not the RPM, or RPM Qjet) for a car that will never see anything more than 5000 RPM. The 3927184 manifold was a stock replacement for the 350 horse Corvette IIRC, so it can't be all that bad.

-Ayn Rand
Old Jul 19th, 07, 9:07 PM
Paul

Buy a Weiand 8004 and go!!

It beat all of them in a, I think like, 14 manifold test years ago on a mild street motor!! I have the test lit in my old Weiand cat...

Or pick up an old 2101 Performer at a swap meet for say, $50!!!

pdq67
Old Jul 19th, 07, 11:25 PM
Super Mod
Rich

Quote:
Originally Posted by elektryc102 View Post
You will probably be better off with a performer 2101 made for 86 and earlier model cars,the performer rpm is square bore and you will need an adapter plate, the perfomer 2101is made for spreadbore carbs like q-jet and has provisions for a q-jet choke mechanism which you can purchase a kit with the intake that will work with the q-jet, there are a couple on ebay but oreilly auto has them in my area for $130.00,i have heard the dual plane 2101s work well and give you anywhere from 20 to 50 extra hp.
????

The 7104 Performer RPM Q-Jet is a spreadbore manifold (notice that Q-Jet is actually part of the name of the manifold). No adaptor plate is needed if you buy the Performer RPM Q-Jet.

http://www.edelbrock.com/automotive_...perf-rpm.shtml
NCOA member #220
ACES member #1670
Team Chevelle #998
Rich Cummings
Old Jul 19th, 07, 11:48 PM
Senior Tech Team
Derrick

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdq67 View Post
Buy a Weiand 8004 and go!!

It beat all of them in a, I think like, 14 manifold test years ago on a mild street motor!! I have the test lit in my old Weiand cat...

Or pick up an old 2101 Performer at a swap meet for say, $50!!!

pdq67
i'm gonna disagree with you on the 8004 Weiand intake. sure, it might have beaten some others in a dyno shootout, but you don't drive a dyno everyday. the fit and finish on the one i bought 2 years ago was crap. you need small head bolts (header bolts) for 2 of the holes, but they are included. you need to watch the length of the center bolts, or you will bend a pushrod on each side.
the heater hose outlet on comes out straight up, where a factory one and Edelbrock one comes out at an angle. not a really big deal, i guess, but if your car has a water shutoff valve that goes there like my Monte, you won't be able to use it and will have to get a different one that goes inline. plus, it just looks cleaner when the heater hose isn't poking straight up out of the top of the engine.
after all that screwing around, it just seems soggy on the bottom end. i've neverh ad that problem with an Edelbrock intake- even when i had a Performer RPM q jet intake on the stock 307 in my Nova.
but Weiand was kind enough to caast in the firing order like a stock intake has, so that's something.
the trusty 2101 Edelbrock always fits perfect, and everything hooks up like it is an oem part. you can even use either of oem hot air choke setups on the 2101, but the Weiand doesn't even have the old rod style hookup so you are stuck with a crappy electric choke.
i should have just gotten the 2101 that was on the shelf right next to it, but i wanted to be different for some reason, and got the Weiand. i even spent an extra $15 just to be different.

-Hank Hill
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Chevelle Tech > Mechanical > Engine      Current Topic: GM SB aluminum q-jet intake manifold
Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.