What Supercharger Is This??? - Chevelle Tech
Chevelle Tech join team chevelle as a supporting member  
Chevelle Parts at SS396.com      
GROUND UP & SS396.com         
Official Sponsor of Team Chevelle

Auto Insurance

Chevelles.com is the premier Chevrolet Chevelle Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Performance Our High Performance area

Old Jul 13th, 07, 1:22 AM
Paul aka"Wally"

Default What Supercharger Is This???

HELLO GUYS I AM A NEWBIE, i have a 1981 malibu wagon i am intending on putting this supercharger in, i need to find out for sure what it is, i think its a 162 B&M marine application near as i can tell. any help would be nice, i heard there were some blower guys here that might could help me. thanks ahead of time
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Jul 13th, 07, 1:37 AM
Bob

Default Re: What Supercharger Is This???

Looks like a standard B&M small block supercharger from the late 80's early 90's. My buddy bought one about 1986 and installed it on a 350 with forged blower pistons and bow tie heads. It ran really well on the street, had about 6psi of boost with the out of the box puleys.

Don't know if they still make these.
Old Jul 13th, 07, 1:46 AM
Paul aka"Wally"

thanks for the response so fast, but i really need to find out what it is for sure, i feel its a B&M 162 marine application. hope to have it in my wagon soon.

Old Jul 13th, 07, 2:31 AM
Lifetime Premium Member
P evaD

Given the oxidation, and rust, I'd say it's from a Marine application. How is it inside?
Leading by example.
Curing cancer, one body panel at a time.
My Chevelle
now
Before
Motorvation
Resurection home page
Old Jul 13th, 07, 3:31 AM
Tech Team
Bryan

Looks like an 80's B&M 144 (144 cu. in.) for small block Chevys. It should also have a tensioner pulley to keep the 10-rib Poly-V belt tight.

Here's a short mention from a book I have, Do-It-Yourself Guide To Street Supercharging, by Pat Ganahl

"When this book was first published in 1984, B&M Automotive had just released its low-profile, low-cost, easily installed 144 cubic inch supercharger for small-block Chevys. At the time, it was untested and, given its low-cost construction, its very low-profile manifold, and especially its light-weight extruded aluminum, Teflon-tipped rotors, I was skeptical. But B&M more than proved me wrong. As of the spring of 1998, they had sold more than 22,100 superchargers of various sizes (but all of the same design) with virtually no mechanical problems at all in street or racing applications. And their performance matches their reliability.

Like the previous Penco blower, the initial B&M 144 was obviously patterned after the GMC 4-53; it's even the same displacement. The major differences are the light weight cast-aluminum case (with integral four-barrel carb mount), end plates (with ball bearings in an oil bath in front and sealed needle bearings in back), and snout, and the very light-weight rotors cut from long, aluminum extrusions and then machined. The rotors are supported on full-length steel shafts, and are of "involute" tip design (rather than "cycloidal," or round end as in 71-series GMCs), which is in keeping with 53 series design. The single Teflon strip in each rotor tip does not "wipe" the blower case, as in a competition drag blower, but is designed to maintain a .003-.004-inch clearance so it won't wear out. If, due to over-revving, the rotors should stretch enough to rub the case walls, the Teflon provides a margin of error to prevent scuffing.

The original B&M 144 was designed to be driven at relatively high over-drive ratios (1.78:1 to 2:1) to produce a maximum seven pounds of boost on 350-400 cu. in. small blocks."

...And that's all I'm typing. Your blower and manifold look exactly like the one pictured in the book. Hope that helps.
Old Jul 13th, 07, 7:29 AM
Lifetime Premium Member

i have an old b & M manuel at home, i'll look it up and see if it matches up-the diff between the 144 and 162 was the longer back part of the s/c
they also made 2 diff snouts, for a short and long w/p
Old Jul 13th, 07, 1:08 PM
Senior Tech Team
Mike

It looks like the 162ci, but I cant tell by eyeballing it whether it is a 162 or 144ci. The very first mini blower that B&M produced was a 162 and I had one of the very first on a 350 engine in the early 80's. Holley gives the dimensions of the 144 blower on their web site, so you can compare easily. That is a very nice blower and many people dont realize how efficient and powerful they are on the street. The engine will actually start easier and may run better, in addition to the power, with great gas mileage oif you keep your foot out of it.

I have no idea what the difference is for a marine blower.

That is the long snout for use with the long water pump.

Holley can rebuild it for you.
1973 RS Z28: 401ci Dart Little M, Littlefield 8-71 supercharger @14lbs boost, Callies Magnum crankshaft, Lunati Pro-Mod rods, JE pistons, 7.8:1 compression, AFR 227 Comp heads, T&D 1.6 shaft rockers. Reed solid FT cam (240/250@.050, .523/.542 lift, 112 LSA), QFT 750 carbs, Tremec TKO-500, Lemons headers, Moser 12 bolt, 33 spline axles & 3.42 gears
Old Jul 13th, 07, 6:38 PM
Paul

Call Holley up and ask them what it is IF it has a serial number on it!

They own both B&M and Weiand now..

pdq67
Old Jul 13th, 07, 9:13 PM
Lifetime Premium Member

i looked in the book i had, there was mention of a marine setup, but more for b/b's, and dealing with a blow off valve in an enclosed area
the main ref. to the s/b setup for marine use was they run wide open more offen than cars, and wether or not a mech. fuel pump would keep up
the one thing it did say was an hei dist. would not fit a 162 s/c
yours must be older, as the rear 2 bolts went thru the s/c, yours are below
Old Jul 13th, 07, 9:25 PM
Senior Tech Team
Danny

Send a message via AIM to bluechevelless Send a message via Yahoo to bluechevelless

Hey Wally thats cool, I love the wagon and would like to see it at the cruise sometime
AC PW PL
www.cardomain.com/id/3115ultima
www.g3gm.com
Old Jul 13th, 07, 9:57 PM
Senior Tech Team
Mike

I just looked at the pics of my old 162...as I mentioned, I had one of the first they made. within a couple of months of the launch of the new mini blower and mine has bolts in the back that go through the whole rear housing like the front.. not like yours which are at the bottom of the blower.

The 144ci was launched after the 162ci and the 162 was eventually phased out.
1973 RS Z28: 401ci Dart Little M, Littlefield 8-71 supercharger @14lbs boost, Callies Magnum crankshaft, Lunati Pro-Mod rods, JE pistons, 7.8:1 compression, AFR 227 Comp heads, T&D 1.6 shaft rockers. Reed solid FT cam (240/250@.050, .523/.542 lift, 112 LSA), QFT 750 carbs, Tremec TKO-500, Lemons headers, Moser 12 bolt, 33 spline axles & 3.42 gears
Old Jul 13th, 07, 11:54 PM
Tech Team
Mike

those are such a great bang for the buck and a blast to drive on the street. Hard to beat if its on a nicely built SBC or even stock.

Old Jul 14th, 07, 12:11 AM
Paul aka"Wally"

i really appreciate all your help guys, this is a tuffy to try and figure out. i am gonna just replace gaskets and the front seal add oil and bolt it on and go have some fun and not mess with what it is.

i did buy some 882 sbc heads today so i can use it like it is, guess i will sell the vortecs and intake.

by the way here is a pic of the wagon i am playing with, it has a 350c.i. vortec heads,edelbrock intake,600 edelbrock,headers,flow masters,2500 stall converter,350 turbo,373 posi,aluminum radiator. as is it has ran a 14.010 @ 98.7 mph. kinda fun the way it is, i cant wait till i get the huffer on it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Chevelle Tech > General Tech Area > Performance      Current Topic: What Supercharger Is This???
Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.