Vinyl Top Drip Rail Molding - Chevelle Tech
Chevelle Tech join team chevelle as a supporting member  
Chevelle Parts at SS396.com      
GROUND UP & SS396.com         
Official Sponsor of Team Chevelle

Auto Insurance

Chevelles.com is the premier Chevrolet Chevelle Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Body Shop Paint & Body Forum

Old Jul 11th, 07, 12:33 PM
Tech Team

Default Vinyl Top Drip Rail Molding

I have tried on two occasions now to install aftermarket drip rail molding on my 70 with a vinyl top. After trashing them and accepting the fact that I suck at installing them, I saw a few notes on sellers product stating that they are not intended for a vinyl top car. That restores my feelings of personal worth but doesn't put the trim on my car.

Does anyone know if there are vinyl top versions might be in reproduction soon? Anyone know where I could source one of the long lengths for the drivers side?
http://www.freewebs.com/chevelles1970/

"It is a mistake to allow any mechanical object to realize you are in a hurry."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Jul 11th, 07, 3:52 PM
Team Member
Dan

Default Re: Vinyl Top Drip Rail Molding

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsolomon View Post
I have tried on two occasions now to install aftermarket drip rail molding on my 70 with a vinyl top. After trashing them and accepting the fact that I suck at installing them, I saw a few notes on sellers product stating that they are not intended for a vinyl top car. That restores my feelings of personal worth but doesn't put the trim on my car.

Does anyone know if there are vinyl top versions might be in reproduction soon? Anyone know where I could source one of the long lengths for the drivers side?
Welcome to the world of repop mouldings...it is ugly.

You're going to have to search out an original set that was on a vinyl top car, no other way around it.
Old Jul 11th, 07, 4:23 PM
Tech Team
Don

Had the same problem with my 67 vinyl top drip rail mldgs, what I did was file down the top edge of the drip rail less then a 1/64" and then the mldgs fit right over the rail with the thickness of the new vinyl top. Problem solved!!!
Old Jul 25th, 07, 7:20 AM
Tech Team

I pulled the parts manual last night and found something interesting. The drip rail molding that runs along the roof line, refered to as the "Scalp, Roof Drip Molding" in the manual, has the same part number for one side but different on the other. Here is the listing.

8782460 / 8782461 1970/135-136/-37 WITH BRIGHT MOLDINGS, 1971-72/130/-37/
8782460 / 8782513 1970/ALL/-37/W?SOFT TRIM ROOF

I assume that the first number listed is drivers side. Wonder why it would be the same on the drivers side but different on the passenger side of the car?

Also of note, there is no difference on the vertical section of the trim. It lists as part numbers 7726067 7726068 for both the hard top and the soft top.

Old Jul 26th, 07, 8:37 AM
Lifetime Premium Member
Les

Dan, I'm not sure about 70's but 68-69 cars did not have felt on the underside of the vinyl top and that helped. Consider peeling up the part of your top that is in the trough at the drip rail and remove the felt, it should help.

Let a trim shop do the install, it might cost a few bucks but you might save another set of new drip rails; your marriage; fingers; high blood pressure etc.

Rides
Old Jul 26th, 07, 12:09 PM
Team Member
Danny

The trim shop ruined mine trying to put them back on after installing my vinyl top. They deducted the cost of new pieces and wished me good luck installing them.

Took a while, but I got them on there. Just don't look "too" close.

My 69 Elky
My 64 SS
Old Sep 24th, 07, 7:30 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Brian

I'm just about to get mine back from the paint shop were they also installed a new vinyl top on my '70. You guys are scaring me about putting on the mouldings - I took them off before sending to the paint shop, so it's my responsibility to relpace them.
Uh,.......yikes.
I'll try the grinding of the drip rail trick if there is a problem, and let you know how I end up.
Old Sep 25th, 07, 7:12 AM
Tech Team

If the car was originally a vinyl top car you shouldn't have a problem. It might be a little tight because the vinyl is new. Just take your time working from the rear window forward.

Old Sep 25th, 07, 8:11 AM
Senior Tech Team
Chris White

just dont wrap the V top around the drip rail. glue it down and cut it off before it goes over the drip rail. Just enough so the top of the molding just grabs a hold of the vinyl. Thats what i did and it worked gread. I just made sure there was plenty of adhesive in that valley. This way the molding fits just as it should
Old Sep 25th, 07, 8:31 AM
Team Member
Mike

I just got through struggling with these drip rail moldings on my 72. My original drip rail moldings were removed and disposed of many years ago, but I wasn't too concerned because I purchased a set of new drip rail moldings from my GM dealer back then.

Well, 16 years later , I get the car painted, installed a new vinyl top, without the padding the inexpensive tops have and try to install my new GM drip rail molding. No way would it go on without totally destroying them!

I reseached the topic here on Team Chevelle and see there may be a difference in the moldings between hardtops and vinyl top cars. So, I buy a used set that was supposedly from a vinyl top car, but they wouldn't go on either, so again I buy another set of drip rail moldings from another guy that just parted a vinyl top car.

When I get them I compared the molding to the other sets I had and it was quite obvious that the ones I just got from the vinyl top car were going to work. The channel that fits over the drip rail that the vinyl top covers were MUCH bigger, not just bent out, but much more curved to fit over the covered drip rails. I polished them up and they snapped in place, piece of cake.

Ther moral of the story is to use a set of drip rail moldings that originally came from a vinyl car, you'll be happy you did!

Mike
Old Sep 25th, 07, 9:08 AM
Senior Tech Team
Roger

Another point to consider is the paint thickness that is on the rail. The factory painted these cars with the minimum amount of paint. When we repaint we are throwing multiple coats of high build primers and blocking the roof straight. We never sand the rails down to keep the paint from building up to high. Then we toss on a BC CC paint job and it's even thicker. I prime the rails once and then tape them off to keep the extra buildup off of them so the moldings can be reinstalled.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Chevelle Tech > General Tech Area > Body Shop      Current Topic: Vinyl Top Drip Rail Molding
Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.