Classic cars exempt from smog check in AZ - Chevelle Tech
Chevelle Tech join team chevelle as a supporting member  
Chevelle Parts at SS396.com      
GROUND UP & SS396.com         
Official Sponsor of Team Chevelle

Auto Insurance

Chevelles.com is the premier Chevrolet Chevelle Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Chevelle Tech General Tech Area
Please try and post in specific forums

Old Jun 24th, 07, 10:38 PM
that Nova Guy

Default Classic cars exempt from smog check in AZ

The law went into effect on May 1st. All cars with classic/historic plates and classic car insurance are now exempt form emissions testing in AZ. It is better than a rolling exemption cause some of the 25 year old cars on the road here are smoke belching junkers that need to be removed. The law also exempts motorcycles in Pima county. So it was a double win for me. I could find nothing about it at the MVD website and there are no forms available to fill out. So I am wondering how the heck I can get on the list.

Yesterday I recieved a post card from Hagerty Insurance that states they took care of the paper work by filing electronicly with the state of Arizona. And if I have any trouble with in the future to contact them and they will take care of it. Now that is great customer service
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Jun 24th, 07, 11:20 PM
Senior Tech Team
Joe

Send a message via Yahoo to smittyocat
Default Re: Classic cars exempt from smog check in AZ

Thats great news for me I was sweating getting the 69 through emmissions with the small "modifications" to the engine.
My Homepage
Old Jun 24th, 07, 11:22 PM
Senior Tech Team

Here in IL they just changed the law so that all cars pre-1996 are exempt. I had passed the test, but this is nice because if I decide to go with a more performance oriented engine I don't have to worry abvout passing a smog test. We always had smog exempt classic car plates you get get here too, but they limited your driving to car shows and repair shops only. The change was to save the IL tax payers money because now they only perform the OBDII engine check. They are eliminating the dyno run and tail pipe measurements.
Old Jun 24th, 07, 11:26 PM
Senior Tech Team
Joe

I dont see any merit in the Emmissions test anyway, its just a cash cow for the State and Feds. If they want to protect us from air pollution out here in AZ they should crack down harder on all the airborne dust created from construction. Just my opinion.
My Homepage
Old Jun 24th, 07, 11:29 PM
Tech Team
Bill

This was long-awaited news for me. My renewal month is June and for the first time in maaannnyyy years I just sent the MVD a check and I got my new tags. Hoooray!
Old Jun 24th, 07, 11:29 PM
Senior Tech Team
Brian

Angry Re: Classic cars exempt from smog check in AZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by smittyocat View Post
I dont see any merit in the Emmissions test anyway, its just a cash cow for the State and Feds. If they want to protect us from air pollution out here in AZ they should crack down harder on all the airborne dust created from construction. Just my opinion.
I wish Nevada would follow suit.. I have two 68's and the darn cut off is 67
13.52 @ 101.84 mph

"Just about the stupidest thing you could do, is to try and move a big block with your shoes untied."

"IF YOU HAVE A RACE CAR BUY RACE CAR PARTS"
Old Jun 25th, 07, 1:09 AM
Lifetime Premium Member

A 2002 analysis showed that the testing and repair of collectible vehicles in the Phoenix area, and of collectible vehicles and motorcycles in the Tucson area, does not provide a significant air quality benefit. Subsequently, in 2005 the Arizona Legislature passed House Bill 2357 to authorize the exemption of these vehicles. The exemptions required the approval of the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) and a request for approval of the exemptions was submitted to EPA on Dec. 23, 2005.

On Dec. 12, 2006, EPA signed a proposed approval of the exemptions . The proposed approval was published in the Federal Register on Dec. 28, 2006. Final approval of the exemptions was published on March 30, 2007 . EPA's approval becomes effective on April 30, 2007.

ADEQ and the Arizona Motor Vehicle Division have begun to implement this exemption. Owners of collectible vehicles must contact their insurance carriers to arrange for the required insurance. The carrier will notify MVD electronically, allowing the vehicle to be registered as a collectible vehicle.

Background

In 2002 the Arizona Legislature required ADEQ to study the effect of exempting motorcycles, collectible vehicles, and vehicles 25 model years old and older from the current vehicle emission testing requirements. ADEQ analyzed these vehicle categories to determine whether including them in the testing program provided a significant air quality benefit. The analysis showed that the testing and repair of collectible vehicles in the Phoenix area, and of collectible vehicles and motorcycles in the Tucson area, does not provide a significant air quality benefit. The exemption of these vehicle categories, therefore, would not interfere with continued maintenance of the carbon monoxide air quality standards and progress toward attainment of the ozone air quality standards. A complete copy of the final Report (including appendices) may be downloaded using the link provided below:

Report on Potential Exemptions from Vehicle Emissions Testing for Motorcycles, Collectible Vehicles and Vehicles 25 Model Years Old and Older
In 2005 the Arizona Legislature passed House Bill 2357, which amended the Arizona Revised Statutes (ARS) at 49-542 to authorize the exemption of certain collectible vehicles and motorcycles from being subject to the emissions testing requirements. The legislation exempts collectible vehicles in the Phoenix testing area and collectible vehicles and motorcycles in the Tucson testing area, pending approval by EPA.

On Dec. 23, 2005, a request to incorporate these changes into Arizona's air quality State Implementation Plan (SIP) was submitted to EPA for review and approval. Copies of House Bill 2357 and the request to EPA for approval of the revision to the Arizona SIP using the links provided below:

HB2357
Final State Implementation Plan (SIP) Revision for Collectible Car and Motorcycle Exemptions
In 2006 EPA requested additional analysis to demonstrate that the emissions testing program will continue to meet the vehicle emissions program performance standard and the addition of a contingency provision in case of a violation of the carbon monoxide standards. The additional analysis and contingency provision, contained in a supplement to the 2005 SIP revision, was submitted to EPA for approval in October 2006 following public review and comment.
Old Jun 25th, 07, 6:23 PM
Senior Tech Team
Bill

I've got regular plates on my 71 Chevy 402 pickup. I've got collector car insurance. They sent me the form, no emmissions test required, two year renewal available......and, I've got the sticker on the plate already. Two years for $31.++
Old Jun 25th, 07, 6:45 PM
Tech Team
ED

Joe, Emmissions=cash cow. Construction =sacred cow.
Old Jun 25th, 07, 7:33 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Bill

Another for Hagerty.....When I insured my 67 they were a pleasure to deal with. Good customer support wins my vote every time. Its nice to deal with folks that actually know and do their job.
Old Jun 25th, 07, 8:52 PM
Team Member
Tom

WE no longer have ANYTHING in OK!
#3 FOREVER!!!!!
Light travels faster than sound. That is why some people appear to be bright until you hear them speak. (unknown)
Old Jun 25th, 07, 11:53 PM
Senior Tech Team
Joe

Yeah Ed I hear ya about the construction being sacred. I asked an SRP rep why they have never imposed a water restriction even though the reservoirs are well below acceptable limits, his reply was "because if we did that then they would have to stop with construction of homes, freways etc, which would hurt the economy of the state" go figure I guess when we run out of water we can drink dirt
My Homepage
Old Jun 26th, 07, 2:11 AM
Senior Tech Team
Andy

wish the IM nazis would get with the times here in Alaska. we still have some of the strictest laws in the US here.
pre 76 vehicles have no under-hood inspection,but have to pass a tail pipe test.
pre -64 is no im.
but 76 and later...you can't do anything to. i wanted to retro fit a factory TBI setup from a suburban onto my 83 chevy PU, and they told me that it would not pass! they would rather have a carb than EFI!

thank god we have a seasonal waiver option (tags good from april 1'st to october 31'st, with no IM test required).

Sold: My 71 SS 454 clone "Back from the Dead" http://i68.photobucket.com/albums/i2...lemay05005.jpg
Old Jun 26th, 07, 9:54 AM
Lifetime Premium Member
Richy Rich

Send a message via AIM to Hi-po SS 454

What took so long!!!! Here in Cali with the worst Emission laws in the U.S. (Los Angeles) we have been exempt for many years now...1975 on down
01 HD Deuce
My Showroom
Walk around vid:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VzkB7RTVDUc
Old Jun 26th, 07, 8:52 PM
that Nova Guy

Hey Rich Az only follows CA's bad laws. It would make to much sense to copy a law that would actually benefit the residents of the Grand Canyon State But all I can say at this point is "better late than never".
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Chevelle Tech > Information Exchange > Chevelle Tech      Current Topic: Classic cars exempt from smog check in AZ
Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.