Setting up dyno tune session in San Jose CA.. - Chevelle Tech
Chevelle Tech join team chevelle as a supporting member  
Chevelle Parts at SS396.com      
GROUND UP & SS396.com         
Official Sponsor of Team Chevelle

Auto Insurance

Chevelles.com is the premier Chevrolet Chevelle Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Performance Our High Performance area

Old Apr 21st, 04, 3:25 PM

Do you want to get your car tuned for maximum performance ??? Want to make sure all that hard earned cash you put into the motor is paying off ??? Have a new combo that you want to play with, but just cant get to the track ??? Is your car performing like you think it should ??? Is your friends car kicking your butt ???

Then I have an opportunity for you !!!!

I'm trying to put together a chassis dyno tune session at Mustang Ranch in San Jose CA (tentative dates of either May 21 or June 4th)

I have a friend that lives in Nevada (he works for Summit Racing as a parts consultant, he used to work at Vic Hubbard)that does dyno tuning on all naturally aspirated musclecars etc. He comes down a couple of times a year to offer dyno tuning sessions at Mustang Ranch in San Jose. He's been tuning cars for years and know whats he's doing !!!!

But the catch is for it to be worthwhile for him to come that distance, we need to have a minimum of 3 cars total, so including mine I need 2 others to get him to come down. I have no idea about a maximum number (probably 5-6 total depending on the dyno shops schedule).

He charges $200/hr (this includes his tuning and the dyno time with AF ratio, jet changes etc, etc etc...)and says 99% of the time he can get all the tuning done in 45-60 min, including 6-7 pulls on the dyno.

Once I get a list of interested people I can set up a definitive day.

There's alot more to having a fast car than a dyno number, but its the most efficient way to tune your motor to maximum HP and TQ which then gets you closer to maximum "track tuning" and a faster ET.... why not take advantage of this opportunity ????

So if people are interested, please let me know. I can be reached directly at DRJDVM@comcast.net

And no I'm not a salesman and no, I dont get any $$ out of setting this up....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Apr 21st, 04, 3:27 PM
Lifetime Premium Member

For the $200 an hour for dyno time, you could get a few people together and do a track rental and get some real performance numbers [img]smile.gif[/img]

I wouldn't let my butt get kicked by a dynoslip..a timeslip maybe..

just ribbing you..I'm sure you'll generate some interest.
Old Apr 21st, 04, 3:38 PM
Senior Tech Team

$200 is real high IMO for dyno tuning. The shop I used charges $75/hour which is dyno clock time, not wall clock time. My car went on the rollers at 8:30-9:00 and came off at about 3:00/ He charged me for a total of three hours labor which was $225. We made numerous changes and tweaks which was between 12-15 pulls.
Old Apr 21st, 04, 3:38 PM

When was the last time you tried to rent a track ???

Like I said in the post..... dyno numbers are far less important than actual ET and trap speed etc, but its a much more efficient way to get you closer to your maximum performance.Then take it to the track and fine tune it...

Alot of people dont have the time or ability to go to the track and play with the car set-up ( the nearest track to me is 2 hours away and on most nights you get 3-4 runs max). And some of us never go to the track but still want to get our cars closer to their maximum performance, so they're fun on the street.

The goal of this isnt to set-up a "bragging rights" heirarchy... that can only be done with ET's....not dyno numbers

YES I KNOW ET AND MPH ARE MUCH MORE IMPORTANT

As far as cost, I'd love to hear more feedback about others experience with other shops and their fee etc..... Now dont forget we're in CA where EVERYTHING costs more !!!
Old Apr 21st, 04, 3:42 PM
Lifetime Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by DRJDVM:
When was the last time you tried to rent a track?
..the Oldsmobile Club I'm associated with rented my "local" track for May 7th
$90 a person,run your car all day [img]graemlins/thumbsup.gif[/img]
They do it once a year,and Fridays are open for rentals..sometimes you can get in if you know someone too.
Old Apr 21st, 04, 4:52 PM

IMHO, both tuning methods have merit, but when you are consulting with a professional on tuning, the dyno in a shop setting clearly makes the most/best use of your time and the paid professional's time. That's why Dynos exist in the first place.

At the track it's: make a pass, make a change, wait in the staging lanes, make another pass, etc....Plus, you won't really know the HP and torque curve, only your 60ft, ET, and MPH in the traps, ...and with all of influence of the driver's variance (at least in my case) pass-to-pass on top of that, to pollute the results and have you tearing hair out because you don't really know for sure if that last change you made got you quicker or slower, which is fine and dandy if being at the track is your car's purpose, or it's your hobby, or the track is convenient for you.

But for a lot (most?) of us, that just ain't the case. For me, I'll be lucky to get there 2x a year. The dyno is convenient, eliminates huge contributing measurement variables, and because it is a calibrated measurement device, is infinately more accurate and repeatable. In my case, right now, I don't want to measure my car + my ability to launch my car, I want to measure my car. ET's and associated bragging rights, if any, can come later on.

Also, for those of us who have dyno'd their engines alone, we can measure what kind of rear-wheel HP and torque we are getting once installed in the car.

For me, in San Jose, $200 for a dyno tuning session with a professional tuner, is very reasonable. The Mustang Ranch dyno fees are between 75 and 100 bones, plus you are paying a professional person $100 for his time. Add to this the consideration of how much money I have invested in my car, and for me, it represents a good value. (And, it will be fun, too, which, I think...is why I have these cars around...)

It sounds like a great opportunity to me, so count me in!
Old Apr 21st, 04, 4:54 PM

If I wasn't a ka-billion miles away I'd be game, a dyno is a great place to get the carb and distrib dialed in. I'm about 3 weeks from running my new motor. First set of aluminum heads, I'm excited!

As far as track rentals, due to the cost of safety vehicles, staffing, etc etc..most around here don't even have an option to rent it. You come when they are open or you don't come at all...LOL

Scot
Old Apr 21st, 04, 5:02 PM
Team Member

Typical dyno time is about $85 or more per hr around here. You get as many pulls as you can make in that hr but if you stop to change jets you better be fast or you'll be into that second hr before you make a second run. You also don't get any assistance other than a quick explanation of the print out for that price and bring your own tools!

I think $200 an hr is a bit steep as the tuners getting over $100 per hr ot the dyno time is more than $85 an hr but living around here I'm getting used to high and increasing prices.

I might be interested...
Old Apr 21st, 04, 7:26 PM

DRJDVM, Do you mind me asking what your buddies name is that used to work at Vic Hubbard? And by any chance do you drive a 68-69 Camaro w/ a BB?
Old Apr 21st, 04, 7:52 PM

Hi name is John Kriner

I drive a red with white stripes '69 Camaro, SB.... why ??? I live in Manteca, CA
Old Apr 21st, 04, 8:27 PM

A guy at my gym has a camaro, he used to work at Vic Hubbards. Was just wondering if you were the same person.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Chevelle Tech > General Tech Area > Performance      Current Topic: Setting up dyno tune session in San Jose CA..
Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.