is my modulator valve bad on powerglide - Chevelle Tech
Chevelle Tech join team chevelle as a supporting member  
Chevelle Parts at SS396.com      
GROUND UP & SS396.com         
Official Sponsor of Team Chevelle

Auto Insurance

Chevelles.com is the premier Chevrolet Chevelle Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Transmission & Driveline Transmissions and Differentials

Old Jun 7th, 07, 11:27 AM
Tech Team

Default is my modulator valve bad on powerglide

I just got to drive my 65 chevelle after a 6 year restoration project. When I bought it in 2000, I drove it a bit and the 2 speed powerglide, stock and original to the car, seemed to shift fine from 1-2.
However, it never turned a wheel for the last 6 years until this week. I drove it and find the following:
- it shifts very quickly out of 1 into 2, say if I turn out of my driveway onto the street I only go about 20 feet before it shifts into 2, seems way too soon.
- secondly, the shift from 1-2 seems harsh, almost a jerk, even if I go real easy on the gas pedal.
- if I accelerate from a standing stop using a bit of gas pedal, it will shift out of 1 at a higher speed, but then I get a real harsh shift, almost a bang into 2.
Could this be a bad modulator valve? this would be about the only thing I can do myself. I did change the oil and filter before taking it for the first cruise and the fluid is up to correct level. Any ideas, thanks.
Advertisement

Old Jun 7th, 07, 1:40 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Rich

Default Re: is my modulator valve bad on powerglide

Take a look and make sure every thing is still conected to trans and at carb linkage.After that long I would change mod. valve. See if theres any trans. fluid in vac. line at mod. valve.If there is ,change it. They used to sell an adjustable valve.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old Jun 8th, 07, 9:14 AM
Tech Team

thanks for the advice. I am going to check out the vacuum at the line near the modulator. If it is not too expensive I will probably replace it and see if it gets better.
Old Jun 8th, 07, 5:07 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
leo

Since it sat for so long, I would drive it to get all the hydraulic systems fully functional, sometimes sitting makes the tranny act stiff for awhile.
Maryland Chevelle Club #017
A.C.E.S.#3731
progress has little to do with speed, but lots to do with direction
www.mdchevelleclub.com

email: paughpa@verizon.net
Old Jun 8th, 07, 11:30 PM
Tech Team

thanks Leo, that also is a good idea. I am going to licence it tomorrow for full cruising. Then I will put a couple hundred miles on it before I do anything. I inquired today at a parts store and the modulator is 44 bucks. Not too bad, so I may put it in later and report back.
Old Jun 9th, 07, 2:16 PM
Gold Founding Member

44 dollars for a modulator is insane even with the exchange rate.

http://store.summitracing.com/partde...5&autoview=sku

Generally, when a modulator goes bad, the shifts will be very late--high RPM--and very hard. (until the fluid is all sucked out, then it just won't go into gear very well; and will have lots of slippage.) Early shifts don't indicate a bad modulator.
Old Jun 10th, 07, 12:10 AM
Senior Tech Team

Check the detent downshift link adjustment first. And modulators are less than $10, ouch.
Old Jun 25th, 07, 10:56 AM
Team Member
Jeff

Generally, when a modulator goes bad, the shifts will be very late--high RPM--and very hard. (until the fluid is all sucked out, then it just won't go into gear very well; and will have lots of slippage.) Early shifts don't indicate a bad modulator.[/QUOTE]

Mine is having the same problem, but my modulator isn't hooked up at all. I have the intake plugged and just loose at the modulator. What else could it be?
Old Jun 25th, 07, 10:57 AM
Team Member
Jeff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldani Motorsports View Post
Check the detent downshift link adjustment first. And modulators are less than $10, ouch.
How is that performed? How much free play is acceptable from the ball to the end of the linkage?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Chevelle Tech > Mechanical > Transmission & Driveline      Current Topic: is my modulator valve bad on powerglide
Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.