Is a 1969 L78 Nova worth anything? - Chevelle Tech
Chevelle Tech join team chevelle as a supporting member  
Chevelle Parts at SS396.com      
GROUND UP & SS396.com         
Official Sponsor of Team Chevelle

Auto Insurance

Chevelles.com is the premier Chevrolet Chevelle Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
What's it worth? & ebay/online sales discussions

Old May 25th, 07, 1:12 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Papa

Default Is a 1969 L78 Nova worth anything?

I think I found a 69 L78 Nova, I won't know until this afternoon if it's for sale. He claims to have the original build sheet that shows L78 4 speed. I didn't see any rust but couldn't crawl under because of where it was sitting. He claims to have the original engine but the transmission has been changed to an auto. I need a better look but also need opinions on value. He wants $9K for a car that needs to be restored, what do you think?

It's not publicly for sale, I was looking at a BBC/TH400 and he brought up the Nova.
Advertisement

Old May 25th, 07, 1:17 PM
Lifetime Founding Member
Von

Default Re: Is a 1969 L78 Nova worth anything?

If it has paperwork and the original engine, $9k is a steal IMO.
von '69 300 Dlx SS '69 Malibu TC #15 ACES #1575 HSCA #5
http://www.chevelles.com/showroom/da...m/DSCN1135.JPG
[img]
http://www.chevelles.com/showroom/da...m/DSCN1397.JPG
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old May 25th, 07, 1:28 PM
Team Member
BILL

it's hard to say, because you find things are regional. what i can tell you is, if that's a good solid ride, in socal, that would be considered a very good deal. parts are easy to find, throw the 4 speed back in, have a nice rare muscle car for a resonable price......
Old May 25th, 07, 2:00 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Papa

This is the first real (if true) 396 Nova I've heard of in years, nothing locally to compare the price with.
Old May 25th, 07, 2:40 PM
Team Member
Hey!

If it's a TRUE and DOCUMENTED L-78 Nova, that car is highly coveted when finished to concours restored condition. Without pictures or more information, there is absolutely no way to put a value on it.

A buddy of mine found a documented aluminum headed 375/396 4 speed Nova in West Texas with 2,200 miles on it. Covered and pampered in a garage. It was never titled and all the miles were on a local track since new. I drove this car. Total MINT condition. It still smelled new inside and the ONLY change from stock was a repaint in the original high lead Lacquer. He sold it 5 years ago for $38,000. God only know what it will sell for today.

A government big enough to give you everything you want, is strong enough to take everything you have.
..........Thomas Jefferson
Old May 25th, 07, 3:40 PM
Team Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmy P View Post
If it's a TRUE and DOCUMENTED L-78 Nova, that car is highly coveted when finished to concours restored condition. Without pictures or more information, there is absolutely no way to put a value on it.

A buddy of mine found a documented aluminum headed 375/396 4 speed Nova in West Texas with 2,200 miles on it. Covered and pampered in a garage. It was never titled and all the miles were on a local track since new. I drove this car. Total MINT condition. It still smelled new inside and the ONLY change from stock was a repaint in the original high lead Lacquer. He sold it 5 years ago for $38,000. God only know what it will sell for today.
What did he have for documentation on that alum headed Nova? Lots of guys swear there never was any made. Do you know who he sold it to?
Old May 25th, 07, 3:43 PM
Team Member
Frank

I looked this up on Manheim's web site and this is what they had to say on current value.

fair 11500 good 20300 exc 37000 show 42000

You have to compare the vehicle you are looking at to these numbers and decide for yourself. IMO it's worth the 9k.

Frank
'67 Malibu
http://www.chevelles.com/showroom/da...3_Chevelle.JPG
'70 Malibu - Finally Painted
http://www.chevelles.com/showroom/da...chevelle_1.JPG
'73 Malibu - Next Project

Old May 25th, 07, 5:06 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Papa

I just got off the phone with the seller. It is for-sale if he can get about $9K. I have an appointment Tuesday to have a better look and will get pictures if possible.

The engine and build sheet are at other locations so will only get to look at car that day. If the car proves worthy I'll make arrangements to see the build sheet/engine. I need the right engine numbers and a good build sheet to be convinced.

I guess it was originally silver with black interior....Perfect!
Old May 25th, 07, 7:14 PM
Team Member
Hey!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TDW View Post
What did he have for documentation on that alum headed Nova? Lots of guys swear there never was any made. Do you know who he sold it to?
I don't have photographic memory, but I believe it was on the build sheet. I've seen many restored cars and this motor looked nothing like those, I mean you could tell this was all original in every detail.

The owner was Bob Younk. He raced Pro stock trucks the last few years the NHRA had them. If I see him again soon, I'll ask him.

A government big enough to give you everything you want, is strong enough to take everything you have.
..........Thomas Jefferson
Old May 25th, 07, 8:26 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
John

There is an all original 69 L-78 in a restoration shop in Longview,Texas. It is Black/Black and an untouched original. The guy who owns it out of Dallas and buys cars like this ,67 Z-28, 62 409, 66 Chevelle L-78 20000 miles, 68 Camaro L-78, 64 Gto Conv. etc. All untouched originals.

This Nova is a unit not on every corner in the country and no book can appraise it. At that money I am jealous as hell. It is kind of like marrying a rich old ugly one that lets you carry the checkbook!

I may be old but I have seen all the great bands.
Old May 25th, 07, 9:51 PM
Senior Tech Team
Like the 'vert!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bunz-T View Post
There is an all original 69 L-78 in a restoration shop in Longview,Texas. It is Black/Black and an untouched original. The guy who owns it out of Dallas and buys cars like this ,67 Z-28, 62 409, 66 Chevelle L-78 20000 miles, 68 Camaro L-78, 64 Gto Conv. etc. All untouched originals.

This Nova is a unit not on every corner in the country and no book can appraise it. At that money I am jealous as hell. It is kind of like marrying a rich old ugly one that lets you carry the checkbook!

I know that guy! All he has are survivor cars...all awesome!

I will be featuring another one of his rides on Yenko.net soon!

Can you say L88 Corvette?

We should take care not to make the intellect our god; it has, of course, powerful muscles, but no personality.
Albert Einstein

http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b1...n_DSCF3532.jpg SOLD!!!!
Old May 25th, 07, 11:17 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
John

L88 Corvette? He had one of those too. Put 2200 hours of restoration work at $65 hour and sold it for over $600K. I am just priveledged to be able to prowl the shop and drool.

The same shop just put a 66 Corvette Coupe Body on a 06 Z06 frame and used every piece but the heads up display and electric seat motors. Over $200k and the owner liked it so much he wanted to do another.

I may be old but I have seen all the great bands.
Old May 25th, 07, 11:47 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Mike

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Chevelle View Post
I just got off the phone with the seller. It is for-sale if he can get about $9K. I have an appointment Tuesday to have a better look and will get pictures if possible.

The engine and build sheet are at other locations so will only get to look at car that day. If the car proves worthy I'll make arrangements to see the build sheet/engine. I need the right engine numbers and a good build sheet to be convinced.

Keep that thought in mind, you'll need EVERTHING in one location to make a reasonable decision on it. I've looked at a few cars in my day with paper work, and it always seems the ones that are questionable they don't have the paperwork with them. If anyones really trying to sell a car, I would think they would have the whole package on site if they are serious and not trying to hide anything.
70 Chevelle L78 4 Speed LeMans Blue
AACA 1st Place National Junior Award
AACA 1st Place National Senior Award
AACA 1st Place Grand National Award

Flint 70 Chevelle LS6 4 Spd 4.10 Posi in the shop!!http://s304.photobucket.com/albums/n...8/Flint%20LS6/

Very Special 21K mile, 70SS Restored by Konrad Hooper
http://s304.photobucket.com/albums/n...8/Kansas%2070/
Old May 26th, 07, 12:02 AM
Senior Tech Team
Roland

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Chevelle View Post

If that car was advertised for sale, it would have been sold already.. A Nova doesn't really have a "build sheet" like a Chevelle does, but it is similar. You should be able to easily spot the right numbers on that piece of paper. BUY IT if it's real..One thing to check is the placement of heater hoses; if they come out of the center of the heater box, that is certainly a plus.

-Ayn Rand
Old May 26th, 07, 11:36 AM
Lifetime Premium Member
Papa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzzbomb View Post
......One thing to check is the placement of heater hoses; if they come out of the center of the heater box, that is certainly a plus.
Good information...I've had some first gen. Camaros and know what to look for. Thanks.
Advertisement

Chevelle Tech > Information Exchange > What's it worth?      Current Topic: Is a 1969 L78 Nova worth anything?
Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.