68 Vent Window Frames - Chevelle Tech
Chevelle Tech join team chevelle as a supporting member  
Chevelle Parts at SS396.com      
GROUND UP & SS396.com         
Official Sponsor of Team Chevelle

Auto Insurance

Chevelles.com is the premier Chevrolet Chevelle Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Restoration Corner Where originality comes first.

Old Feb 16th, 07, 11:29 AM
Tech Team
Patrick

Default 68 Vent Window Frames

I'm about ready to send my frames out for re-chrome, and the chrome shop I'm looking at has different prices for steel frames versus pot metal frames. Does anyone know for sure if the leading edge of the vent window frame for a 68 coupe is steel or pot metal?
I guess I can look for myself when I get home... but I'm impatient.
Thanks for the help...
Patrick

1968 SS 396/325 4-Speed
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Feb 16th, 07, 12:11 PM
Team Member
Bill

Default Re: 68 Vent Window Frames

The large/heavy leading part is pot metal and the L shoped frame is steel. I was also told pot metal was difficult to chrome. Mine came out real nice and I'm sure yours will too. It just cost more and seems to take longer.
Old Feb 16th, 07, 5:18 PM
Tech Team
Patrick

Bill,
Thanks for the info...
When you say, the L-shaped part is steel, is that the rear half of the frame, or the small channel that actually attaches to the glass?
If you don't mind me asking, how much did you have to pay to have yours rechromed?
Thanks again for the help...
Patrick

1968 SS 396/325 4-Speed
Old Feb 16th, 07, 5:24 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Keith

I had the die cast corner pieces for the bed of our el Camino, repaired and rechromed. Very expensive. They actually drill out every pit and fill it in. Then they polish the whole piece before replating it. It averaged $100 per piece to do the seven pieces on the back of the el Camino. If the repro stuff fit, I could have done the car for half the price. With a magnet you can tell very quickly what is pot metal and what is steel.
Old Feb 16th, 07, 5:51 PM
Team Member
Bill

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merlin View Post
Bill,
Thanks for the info...
When you say, the L-shaped part is steel, is that the rear half of the frame, or the small channel that actually attaches to the glass?
If you don't mind me asking, how much did you have to pay to have yours rechromed?
Thanks again for the help...
Patrick
Patrick...By L shaped, I meant the piece that holds the glass. Actually it's shaped like an upside down 7.
I can't remember exactly how much it was, but all 4 pieces (2 pieces each side) were about $300.00

Also my pieces wern't pitted real bad. The inside where the weather strip runs along the pot metal piece had roughness to it. I wouldn't call it pitted, but I had the wing window units apart to replace the weather stpipping and glass so.....

Last edited by Bill Rose; Feb 16th, 07 at 6:04 PM.
Old Feb 17th, 07, 12:03 AM
Lifetime Premium Member
Les

Patrick,

I just had both of my frames re-chromed for a total $120.00. These are the ones the vent window glass slides into. As I learned from Bill Rose you can get the CORK/rubber seal, from a glass shop and put it in the "U" channel between the glass and the frame. Les

Rides
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Chevelle Tech > Specialty > Restoration Corner      Current Topic: 68 Vent Window Frames
Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.