'65 Chevelle SS Convertible - Chevelle Tech
Chevelle Tech join team chevelle as a supporting member  
Chevelle Parts at SS396.com      
GROUND UP & SS396.com         
Official Sponsor of Team Chevelle

Auto Insurance

Chevelles.com is the premier Chevrolet Chevelle Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
What's it worth? & ebay/online sales discussions

Old Feb 8th, 07, 8:16 AM
Lifetime Premium Member
Chris

Default '65 Chevelle SS Convertible

Hi all,
I've been contacted by someone selling a '65 SS convertible.
Grandson inherited car from grandmother 20 years ago and car has been sitting in garage all 20 years.
Prior to the car being stored, engine was replaced with non original small block. Car was repainted once and looks decent, as in presentable. It also had non original body side mouldings placed at the time of repaint. The original steering wheel was replaced with a '80's era GM 4 spoke cushion wheel.
Interior looks very nice, no rust at all, and is sitting on 4 flat '80's era white letter tires on original rims with SS hubcaps. Its a true SS car with original invoice. Buckets, auto floor shift, console, etc..
I have a couple of pics, but not able to post at this time.
I was contacted by the Grandson's father, and have been emailing back and forth with him. When I ask about price, he only says they want to get the best price they can for it.
Since its been sitting, it definately will need work to get it road worthy. Original engine is gone too, so that should some what lower price. I have yet to call direct, and was looking from you all to see waht you think would be a fair price to pay for such a vehicle.
Now, I'm in New York and the car is in California. That would be another issue for me, but shouldn't be impossible.
At minimum, I would expect the car will need:
brake rebuild, carb rebuild, suspension rebuild, gas tank cleaning, tires, steering wheel, paint, and possibly exhaust. Possibly more.
So, what do you think is a decent price to pay for this car?
Thanks for your thoughts.

http://mysite.verizon.net/vze7l8bs/
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Feb 8th, 07, 8:56 AM
Team Member
Mike Crown

Default Re: '65 Chevelle SS Convertible

Well, I wish more of this what is it worth posts were so detailed.. I think the only thing you left out was colors?

Here;s my guess, based on just what was presented here, condition and type of car as well as circumstances for sale...

Biggest plus is the Top going down.. and some docs...and history...

But needs work for road worthy, non orig. engine, moldings, and transport costs..

I'd offer $8,000 and start from there... That is neither too high, too low or insulting.....you are looking at ballpark fee of $1500 to get it to NY.. and the cost of road worthy fees... of course, not knowing what your intentions are.. restoration, driver,.. this could affect what you would be willing to pay.. and of course last but not least.. if you had knowledge that it USED TO BE an L-79 engine...might change what some folks think it is worth.

Mike
Old Feb 8th, 07, 11:06 AM
Lifetime Premium Member
Chris

Thanks Mike,
I was actually thinking of that price.
Not sure now as guy just wrote me that he saw a nice '65 on Ebay with a BIN of high $20K. Car was originally a standard 283, no L-79.
He's talking of bringing the car out to a large show in california to see what offers he gets. Sounds like he may be watching reruns of BJ?
Oh, light blue (marina?) with black interior...lol

Old Feb 8th, 07, 12:08 PM
Team Member
Mike Crown

Make the offer.. let him think that is all you are willing to go and if it is meant to be, it will happen.. after spending some time Trying to sell it, he may see that your offer was fair.

MC
Old Feb 8th, 07, 6:39 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Chris

lol, I just looked at his email again, he quotes a $65K BIN. I dont think I've even seen a '65 listed any where that high.
Well I wrote back with my price range. I'll see what he has to say. He has now mentioned sentimental value and irreplaceable.
Like you said, if its meant to be....
I'll update

Old Feb 8th, 07, 8:07 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Chris

Okay, quick update.
Turns out car is now not for sale.
Owners Dad had first contacted me in early december. He wrote me yesterday of it being for sale. Now as of today I learn that his son, the owner , passed away in early january. The owners dad and his wife decided that they should sell the car, but due to its tie to their son, they have decided to hold on to it for now.
He will keep my number just in case they decide to sell it as time goes by.
Must be hard to go through, so I gave him my condolences and let it be.

Old Feb 8th, 07, 11:00 PM
Team Member
Mike Crown

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malibu65 View Post
lol, I just looked at his email again, he quotes a $65K BIN. I dont think I've even seen a '65 listed any where that high.

hmmm you haven't seen what I have for sale.. just about double that price
Old Feb 9th, 07, 6:50 AM
Lifetime Premium Member
Chris

Mike,
I doubt you have a '65 with standard equipment for double that price. Maybe a Z16? By the way, love your '66.

Old Feb 9th, 07, 5:33 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Tony

There's an ad in the Chevelles.com Classifieds right now. 65 SS convertible, looks/sounds nice, California car (well, its in California not sure if its originally from Cal), 327/4-speed with upgrades like disc brakes, asking $28K...

http://www.chevelles.com/classifieds...t=10675&cat=11

So IF they decide to sell, show them an ad like that...
TC #1366
'70 Chevelle 427 Stroker
'66 Convertible Sold
Dual Quad 396 & Conv Int
'66 SS L78
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Chevelle Tech > Information Exchange > What's it worth?      Current Topic: '65 Chevelle SS Convertible
Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.