What ignition system is best for a street and strip car? - Page 3 - Chevelle Tech
Chevelle Tech join team chevelle as a supporting member  
Chevelle Parts at SS396.com      
GROUND UP & SS396.com         
Official Sponsor of Team Chevelle

Auto Insurance

Chevelles.com is the premier Chevrolet Chevelle Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Performance Our High Performance area

View Poll Results: Which is the best for a 7000 rpm engine that's also driven on the street?
MSD with ignition box 162 54.92%
MSD without ignition box (stand alone model) 15 5.08%
Mallory with ignition box 18 6.10%
Mallory without ignition box (stand alone model) 4 1.36%
DUI HEI 27 9.15%
GM HEI 56 18.98%
Accel 7 2.37%
Other (please specify) 12 4.07%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 295. You may not vote on this poll

Old Feb 1st, 07, 3:52 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Ken

Default Re: What ignition system is best for a street and strip car?

7 years and counting with my MSD 6AL, Pro Billet distributor and Blaster II coil. Street, strip and more recently storage I really like the adjustable collar on the distributor. I guess you could do the same thing with shims, but the slip collar is nice. I had a problem with my 6AL one time and it was as a result of something I did. The box was mounted on the firewall at one time. It got wet when I was cleaning out my engine compart. It was still putting out some spark but not enough to fire the engine. I left the hood opened and let the air hit it for about 1 hour and it worked beatifully. I later relocated the box to the inside of the car. Never a problem since then. Good quality ignition products IMO.

Prior to that I used an MSD HEI. I didn't really like it. Had the module fail a few times. Prior to the HEI I had the original points/condenser and stock coil. It worked reliably but it was on the stock 396/360hp engine so it wasn't a screamer buy any stretch of the imagination.

The MSD stuff is probably overkill for a full on street car, but don't doubt its reliability for a minute.

Last edited by kjett; Feb 1st, 07 at 4:07 PM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Feb 1st, 07, 4:15 PM
Tech Team

I run a stock 26 year old HEI dist. with an Accel HEI super coil hooked up to a MSD 6AL box. Although I only spin it up to 6000 RPM I have had no problems in the last 5 years since instalation except back feeding the MSD (which a diode fixed nicely) and starter heat soak which is another problem altogether.
Old Feb 5th, 07, 7:04 PM
Tech Team
John

I've had a few different ones over the years. I don't doubt you could find someone with a failure in any of the brands here and there. I had an MSD 6AL quit after a few hours and they had it shipped back to me that week all fixed and paid for shipping.

My own favorite out of what I've owned is the MSD pro billet distributor hooked to a Mallory Hyfire VI digital box mounted inside the car. With the keypad you can change limits and other things instantly.
Old Feb 5th, 07, 9:40 PM
Tech Team
Jason

MSD 85551 pro billet, MSD 6A box, MSD blaster SS coil here. Street/strip all the time. My 355 has seen 8,000 rpms many times.
72 GMC Super Custom 1500, airride, 6.0 LS motor/4L65 trans.
96 Chevy Silverado Z71
Old May 6th, 07, 10:31 PM
Senior Tech Team
Jon

Send a message via Yahoo to 70 beater

I haven't had any real problems with any of my stuff,lost some modules from a grounded fuel level wire (HEI and Mallory) before I found it.I have 2 MSD 6As,Mallory Hyfire IV,Mallory Hyfire IVc-both with rev limiters,Mallory Comp 9000 (w/MSD 6A),Mallory Unilite,Mallory Magnetic Breakerless,all of those with Mallory Promaster 29440 coils.A few GM HEIs,with GM,DUI,Hypertech,and Accel Supercoil coils,stock modules when not used with MSD.Best set of wires I've had have been Moroso.Had a couple issues with other wires-Accel 8.8 had insulation cracking early and a couple of boots come off some Taylors,good otherwise.Have had good luck with Mallory 8mm Sidewinders,they burn kinda easy though.Best luck with Autolite AR plugs,have used a lot of AC Delcos.Had some Champions fail when using the MSD/HEI/Hypertech coil combo-the spring looking conductor on the inside breaking,but there are Champions in the Vortec headed engine that are doing fine.All street strip that have been spun to 65-7000 rpm,most have seen some N2O.

I think most manufacturers make a decent product,otherwise they wouldn't be in business.I also think most problems can be traced either back to the installer or other electrical issue not in the ignition equipment but interfering with it.JMO.You'll find 10 second cars with stock HEIs and with gigadollar multi-device ignitions,guess it's up to the end user after all is said and done.I've got enough junk laying around now I don't think I'll ever need to buy another ignition part.Unless they come out with some new wiz-bang gotta have it brand new technology gadget.Or maybe if/when I convert something to F.I..

edit:just noticed this was an old thread that got bumped up.
glorified parts car
7.86 @91(1/8 w/sbc)
JAKESHOE TH 400

Last edited by 70 beater; May 6th, 07 at 11:29 PM.
Old May 6th, 07, 11:21 PM
Senior Tech Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by cstraub View Post
The Crane stuff doesn't get much press but I can tell you first hand they did their homework and the stuff is built to last. Note on the dashboards starting in Feb what ignition boxes are in the cup cars.

I highly recommend the Crane boxes.
I just went with a mallory V1 highfire, as it was reasonably priced and had nice features and lots of energy for the bucks. I don't know why I didn't give crane a look. Is their stuff multi strike? My cam is so damn big, I went with multi strike to clean up the low rpm's.
Old May 7th, 07, 2:10 AM
Lifetime Premium Member
Brian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GotSpray View Post
well this is over kill but i run a MSD programmable digital 7 pt# 7530 with matching coil and pro-billet distributor.
you have one heck of a beautiful car
Old May 8th, 07, 5:57 PM
Team Member
Jerry

Although I never plan on bouncing off 7000 rpm and racing a lot I like the MSD Digital E curve distributor along with the blaster 2 coil. For an average guy like me changing advance curves and timing is a cinch with this thing. I have had it 2 years now and it works great. With the turn of a dial you can change the amount of mech advance and how fast you want it in. Another dial lets you dial in the vacuum advance you want. It also has a built in rev limiter but you need a magnifying glass to see the hte rpm levels on the dial
Wolfplace forged rotating assembly
Cstraub pre peckerhead hydr.roller
PS 1000HP
TKO 600, 3:73's
6 L. next

http://www.chevelles.com/showroom/da...e_Rims_014.jpg

Old May 9th, 07, 12:36 AM
Tech Team
Jay

has any one used a pertronix second strike box?? im sorta interested in one. you can tweek when the first spark occours of the multiply spark on this unit. as well it has a rev limter.
78 Malibu 383/TH350 3:73 12bolt
Old May 9th, 07, 6:32 AM
Gold Founding Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by stroked78 View Post
you can tweek when the first spark occours
Yup. Called "setting the timing".

Go MSD.
Old May 9th, 07, 9:04 AM
Tech Team
Jay

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schurkey View Post
Yup. Called "setting the timing".

Go MSD.
the 2nd spark still ocures at the set timing
Old May 9th, 07, 2:08 PM
Gold Founding Member

Quote:
the 2nd spark still ocures at the set timing
So you have to run those Bosch plugs with the two ground electrodes??? One electrode for each spark???

I was under the impression that the second spark occurred 4--20 degrees after the first one. (adjustable via rotary dial)
(Page 3--Adjusting the C. A. O.)
http://www.pertronix.com/downloads/S...0Strike%20.pdf

I still say the Second Strike is designed the way it is because it's different from MSD, not because it's better than MSD. Second Strike makes good ad copy. What's the point in firing the plug 18 degrees retarded? The MSD system fires more-or-less CONTINUOUSLY for ~20 degrees.
Old May 10th, 07, 10:49 AM
Super Mod
Rich

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schurkey View Post
So you have to run those Bosch plugs with the two ground electrodes??? One electrode for each spark???

I was under the impression that the second spark occurred 4--20 degrees after the first one. (adjustable via rotary dial)
(Page 3--Adjusting the C. A. O.)
http://www.pertronix.com/downloads/S...0Strike%20.pdf

I still say the Second Strike is designed the way it is because it's different from MSD, not because it's better than MSD. Second Strike makes good ad copy. What's the point in firing the plug 18 degrees retarded? The MSD system fires more-or-less CONTINUOUSLY for ~20 degrees.
You are right, the Second Strike is adjustable as to when the 2nd spark occurs AFTER the first spark. It's nice to have that adjustability but I'm not sure what the adjustability really gains you.

What I really DO like about the Second Strike is the built in rev limiter which is fully adjustable by 100 RPM incriments eliminating the need for buying limiter chips of various ranges. I also like Pertronix ignition systems, they are simple and effective. I have a clandestine Pertronix in my restored coupe and the wagon (hot rod) has the Second Strike, billet distributor and Flame Thrower coil (looks stock, runs a much higher spark and has much quicker reload).
NCOA member #220
ACES member #1670
Team Chevelle #998
1965 Malibu SS L79 Restoration Page
1965 Two-Door Wagon Project Progress Page
2006 Pontiac GTO Preservation Project
Rich Cummings
Old May 10th, 07, 11:20 AM
Tech Team
Jay

opps so i got it wrong. i read the artical a month ago so sorry for forgeting

RICH: so you realy like the pertronix box. what lead you to buy over crane and MSD??
Old May 10th, 07, 4:49 PM
Super Mod
Rich

Quote:
opps so i got it wrong. i read the artical a month ago so sorry for forgeting

RICH: so you realy like the pertronix box. what lead you to buy over crane and MSD??
I've had a really good experience with the Pertronix I installed into the coupe. When I had to chose an entire ignition system for the wagon project I found I could do it all (box, distributor, coil) with Pertronix items and the price was reasonable given what a similar set up of another brand would cost. As I mentioned above, the ability to adjust the rev limiter without buying anything else also appeals to me.
NCOA member #220
ACES member #1670
Team Chevelle #998
1965 Malibu SS L79 Restoration Page
1965 Two-Door Wagon Project Progress Page
2006 Pontiac GTO Preservation Project
Rich Cummings
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Chevelle Tech > General Tech Area > Performance      Current Topic: What ignition system is best for a street and strip car?
Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.