Starter spins does not seem to engage - Chevelle Tech
Chevelle Tech join team chevelle as a supporting member  
Chevelle Parts at SS396.com      
GROUND UP & SS396.com         
Official Sponsor of Team Chevelle

Auto Insurance

Chevelles.com is the premier Chevrolet Chevelle Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Electrical & Wiring Troubleshooting electrical problems.

Old Jan 26th, 07, 8:30 PM
Tech Team

Default Starter spins does not seem to engage

Hey guys, need some help here. Everything is new in the resto on a 69 Chevelle SS. Wanted to get it started this weekend. Anyway...using a mini starter on a 454. Initially was not getting anything to the starter and figured out I needed to jumper the NSS. Did that and now the starter is energizing but it sounds as though it's not engaging the flywheel, just spins? Any ideas?help please. Thanks
Lou
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Jan 27th, 07, 11:34 PM
Team Member
Dave

Send a message via Skype™ to anychevy
Default Re: Starter spins does not seem to engage

I don't have any experience with mini starters but I'm sure the principals are the same, the solenoid is engaging but not throwing out ? or wrong gear for the flywheel ? teath missing from flexiplate ? pull it off and bench test it. maybe some others will chime in ?
Dave
Old Jan 29th, 07, 3:27 PM
Tech Team

Thanks for the response Dave.
Figured it out...there are two possible mounting positions with a Mini...why? Don't know why but I suppose the first installation (which made more sense to me...and where the notch on the mini starter mounting block appears to be made to wrap the edge of the block/oil pan)...was incorrecto. It was spinning but not engaging the flywheel. Well, moved it to the second position which seems to be a slight lateral move away from the block and it fixed the problem...Not sure how that works because it seems to me I would be increasing the gap between the starter gear and the flywheel by moving in that direction...But then again...starts and runs now.
Thanks again
Lou
Old Jan 29th, 07, 11:17 PM
Team Member
Dave

Is it possible that it's made to bolt up to Pontiacs, Buicks and Olds as well ?
Dave
Old Feb 2nd, 07, 11:08 PM
Tech Team
Dave

Probably the 2 mounting positions are there for different ring gears. I know there's at least 2 different gears with different numbers of teeth.
Old Feb 3rd, 07, 5:13 AM
Lifetime Premium Member
Keith

We use a Chevy mini starter on our 396 Chevelle. It whips the engine over as if all the spark plugs were removed. A lot of power for such a little unit. I have a suspicion that these little starters will over heat very quickly if your car doesn't want to start. Not much size to dissipate heat. If you get yours working, you will be pleased I am sure.
Old Feb 6th, 07, 12:25 AM
Team Member
Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith Tedford View Post
We use a Chevy mini starter on our 396 Chevelle. It whips the engine over as if all the spark plugs were removed. A lot of power for such a little unit. I have a suspicion that these little starters will over heat very quickly if your car doesn't want to start. Not much size to dissipate heat. If you get yours working, you will be pleased I am sure.
I prefer the OEM type myself, heavy I know, but when they're rebuilt right they will last for ever !
dave
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Chevelle Tech > Mechanical > Electrical & Wiring      Current Topic: Starter spins does not seem to engage
Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.