Chevelle SS vs Monte Carlo Dash - Chevelle Tech
Chevelle Tech join team chevelle as a supporting member  
Chevelle Parts at SS396.com      
GROUND UP & SS396.com         
Official Sponsor of Team Chevelle

Auto Insurance

Chevelles.com is the premier Chevrolet Chevelle Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Restoration Corner Where originality comes first.

Old Jan 16th, 07, 2:44 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Scott

Default Chevelle SS vs Monte Carlo Dash

Dear All,
I have been burned by two different sellers stating that they were selling 70 chevelle ss dashes. I would like to know the differences between a chevelle ss dash and a monte carlo ss dash. If anyone knows the breakdown in years that would be helpful also.
As far as I know:
70-71 chevelle ss dash, no seat belt warning light
72 chevelle dash has seat belt warning light
70 green gauge lettering
71-72 white gauge lettering
Differences between Monte and chevelle dash?
Monte ss dash has wood grain that overlays the ss dash. Can be removed to look like a chevelle ss dash. Some year monte ss dashes have holes in the face of the dash that the woodgrain installs into. Some years do not. The "camera case" grain is different between the monte dash and chevelle dash?
Also, I noticed two slotted holes in the dash near the heater/AC controls on the right side. Are these holes for the monte woodgrain to snap into or does the chevelle dash have them also?
If someone could post pics of the differences in the dashes I'm sure that would be of help to more than just me. I can also contribute some pics of the dashes that I have.
Thanks for all the help.
Scottie
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Jan 16th, 07, 2:47 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Scott

Default Re: Chevelle SS vs Monte Carlo Dash

Also are there any GM part #s to distinguish the different dashes?
Old Jan 16th, 07, 3:28 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Not Andy

send me a PM with your e-mail. I'm using a Monte dash for my SS dash swap too. I have the monte dash ripped out, and a new chevelle carrier ready to be built. I can probably send you pics of whatever you need. I'm re-using the cluster itself from the monte, and some innards, etc.

As for the gauge colors, you're correct. The warning light is also a 72 only, but I think it was only a mid-year thing (could very well be wrong on this).
The Monte woodgrain insert does use tabs that run through slots in the carrier and are then bent behind the backside. Mine also had some dum-dum holding it tight as well.

I can get you casting numbers on some of that stuff too. I have almost all of it readily accessable.
1999 350, Vortecs, GM's HOT cam, Holley Stealth Ram, 700R4, 4:10s
car: http://i168.photobucket.com/albums/u...ps8c002323.jpg
engine: http://i168.photobucket.com/albums/u...s/DSC03416.jpg
Old Jan 17th, 07, 9:53 AM
Lifetime Premium Member
Scott

Does anyone with an original 70 chevelle ss dash comment on what their dash looks like?
Does the 70 chevelle ss dash have the two slotted holes near the heater/AC controls?
Is the 70 chevelle ss dash the same as the 70 monte dash with the woodgrain removed?
Old Jan 17th, 07, 10:40 AM
Tech Team
Roy

My 1970 dash doesn't have any slots in it other than the ones for the heater controls. Every slot has a lever protruding. This is a non air conditioned car.
I don't know about the monte dashes.
Old Jan 17th, 07, 12:26 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Not Andy

Scottie-
In the pics you sent me, do I see small holes scattered around the gauge holes? It's a little hard to see, but what would they use those for-additional mounting holes?
1999 350, Vortecs, GM's HOT cam, Holley Stealth Ram, 700R4, 4:10s
car: http://i168.photobucket.com/albums/u...ps8c002323.jpg
engine: http://i168.photobucket.com/albums/u...s/DSC03416.jpg

Last edited by Bowtie-72; Jan 17th, 07 at 12:27 PM. Reason: spelled scottie's name wrong, IE, not Y
Old Jan 17th, 07, 12:40 PM
Tech Team

I've done a couple and am pretty sure the only difference is the woodgrain and the gauge coloring. My understanding is the 70/71 Monte dashes had the holes in them for the woodgrain clips. I feel these are pretty useless for conversions unless you are super handy filling holes where it'll look good. I never thought I could do it properly.

72 used some type of mild adhesive that comes off pretty easy. I'd think only the Monte dashes had the slots you describe to hold the end of the trim down. I just covered it on the backside with epoxy and after fresh paint, you'd never see it. I think both Chevelle/Monte had the warning light in 72. Both Chevelle and Monte could've use idiot lights and only the true SS's (I think) would've had guages in the small holes. They both mount up exactly the same, although I'll tell you the last one I did was actually slightly short on the passenger side upper mounting bracket. I had to fab a little piece to bolt to but it all worked out and looked perfect.
Old Jan 17th, 07, 12:47 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Scott

I was figuring that they were used to mount the Monte Carlo woodgrain in. Sorry about the pic, that was obtained off of ebay. I'll send you a pic of my dash when I get home from work that has the circular indents on the back face of the dash that I thought were filled. I saw that other pic from ebay that was a monte dash and figured that those holes were for mounting the woodgrain, and that someone filled mine in to disquise it as a chevelle ss dash.
Hope that makes sense.
Silver chevelle, I posted in my member showroom the pics(thanks to Bowtie-72) of the slotted holes that I was referring to. The are actually in the dash housing itself, not the heater control. If you look closely you will see them. I wanted to see if yours had them or not. The monte carlo ss dashes have them, but wanted to see if the chevelle ss dash is different. Those slots hold the woodgrain to the dash. Plus to make things more confusing I have read from other posts that different year monte carlo dashes used different methods (holes/slotted holes/adhesive) to mount the woodgrain to the dash face. Just wanted to clear this up, so people can stop passing monte carlo ss dashes off as chevelle ss dashes.
Thanks again.
Scottie

Last edited by scottie; Jan 17th, 07 at 2:48 PM.
Old Jan 17th, 07, 3:36 PM
Senior Tech Team
Mike

Quote:
only the true SS's (I think) would've had guages in the small holes

Those were option U14, Instrument panel gauges. They were optional in the Chevelle and Monte Carlo, never standard in the SS. They were not exclusive to the SS Chevelle.

The standard SS dash had the round pods with idiots light and no clock. If you ordered U14, you got the gauges, clock and tach.
Old Jan 17th, 07, 5:17 PM
Tech Team

the montie dashes unlike the chevelle dashes has slots in them so they could pop in the optional woodgrain insert if you ordered it fron the factory. the chevelle dash won't have these slots.

1969 C10 pickup, most recent project, hope to get started on it soon.
http://www.chevelles.com/showroom/da...ium/hg_003.jpg
Old Jan 17th, 07, 5:33 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Mike

Scott here's some pictures for you, hope they help.
70 Chevelle L78 4 Speed LeMans Blue
AACA 1st Place National Junior Award
AACA 1st Place National Senior Award
AACA 1st Place Grand National Award

Flint 70 Chevelle LS6 4 Spd 4.10 Posi in the shop!!http://s304.photobucket.com/albums/n...8/Flint%20LS6/

Very Special 21K mile, 70SS Restored by Konrad Hooper
http://s304.photobucket.com/albums/n...8/Kansas%2070/

Last edited by 704EVER; Jan 27th, 07 at 9:39 PM.
Old Jan 17th, 07, 6:42 PM
Tech Team

I know what slots you are referring to beside the heater control. My original 70ss has those two slots (they are very small)
Old Jan 17th, 07, 6:55 PM
Lifetime Premium Member

Some Monte dashes had the slits that held on the wood grain and some had several big holes about 1/2" diameter, one of which was through the words "washer wiper"

Gold Founding Member #3
My 69 SS
My 70 Convertible
Mid America Chevelle Club #01
Old Jan 17th, 07, 9:46 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Scott

OK
With the help of other teamchevelle members, I think I can break down the differences between the chevelle and monte ss dashes.
All SS dashes have the two small slits to the right of the heater/AC controls. I even saw this in the repop SS dash.
70 and 71 chevelle ss: No other holes/slits, no seat belt warning light
72 chevelle ss: no other holes/slits, seat belt warning light
70 and 71 monte carlo ss: 1/2 inch holes in face of dash to hold woodgrain, no seat belt warning light
72 monte carlo ss: one small slit left of the left dash heater vent, woodgrain connects here, the two small slits near the heater/AC controls, and clips two places near the steering column, has seat belt warning light
I have pics of some of these dashes if anyone needs them. Thanks for all the help.
I have one more question? Do the chevelle dashes come with the round "indentations" in the back of the dash where the gauges go? I posted another pic of this in my showroom(under scottie) to help illustrate what I am talking about.
Thanks again.
scottie
Old Jan 17th, 07, 10:16 PM
Lifetime Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottie View Post
............All SS dashes have the two small slits to the right of the heater/AC controls. I even saw this in the repop SS dash................
You sure?
I don't think mine has any slits.
I'll have to go look to make sure now that you got me curious.

Early 72 chevelles didn't have the seat belt warning light.

Gold Founding Member #3
My 69 SS
My 70 Convertible
Mid America Chevelle Club #01
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Chevelle Tech > Specialty > Restoration Corner      Current Topic: Chevelle SS vs Monte Carlo Dash
Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.