Edelbrock No Hop Bars Question - Chevelle Tech
Chevelle Tech join team chevelle as a supporting member  
Chevelle Parts at SS396.com      
GROUND UP & SS396.com         
Official Sponsor of Team Chevelle

Auto Insurance

Chevelles.com is the premier Chevrolet Chevelle Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Performance Our High Performance area

Old Dec 31st, 06, 11:22 PM
Tech Team

Default Edelbrock No Hop Bars Question

Has any one installed a set of edelbrock no hop bars in their chevelle. If so what problems did you have if any. I had a set of lake wood no hop bars on a 10 bolt before and besides taking out the housing bushings they went in without any problems. After breaking my 10 bolt with my 496 BB I put in a 12 bolt and have now decided to put in the new edelbrock no hop bars. The no hop bars looked very nice I liked the poly bushing in the no hop bar instead of the lake wood solid sleeve where the upper control arm bolts to the no hop bar. The problem I have run into is the little bolt that you have to drill into the webbing of the rear end housing. The no hop bars would not fit up tight to the rear end housing without alot of grinding. Grinding the rear end with it still in the car was not so easy and did not come out as nicely as I would of liked it to. The little bolts are not into the webbing as far as I would like them to be, but now the holes are already drilled so I guess it is what it is and Im not happy with my craftsmanship. I guess what I would like to say is to any one installing these no hop bars I wish I had taken out the axle and done a cleaner / better job than I did. I think on a hard launch those bars are driven into the hosing and not being pulled away from it so those little bolt holes will be good enough.

Any thoughts ?
Pete
12 bolt 3.73
best ET 11.34 @ 119.60 mph 1.66 60 foot

http://www.racingjunkrides.com/view_ride/375/
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Jan 1st, 07, 12:03 AM
mod since about forever, old now :)
TerribleTom II

Default Re: Edelbrock No Hop Bars Question

those bolts mostly are stressed in reverse, so don't be nailing it hard in reverse.
Old Jan 1st, 07, 10:38 AM
Senior Tech Team
Vinny Vince

Pete...I went through everything you going through...its all normal. I can't believe that this much grinding has to be done. Surely these rear end housing can't be that different from each other - I dont know why they can't get them to fit good. I really had to grind one more than the other. Also, the little bolt that is used to pin the no-hop bar to the housing was a littel too short.

But, when it is all said and done, they work awesome! I can do long "glassy" burnouts now. You can actually feel the rear end lift when taking off, even and a stop light and just letting the clutch out I can feel the rear lift slightly. What is happening is the car now "stands" on the rear, pushing the tires into the ground.

PS - be sure to check your pinion angle, as mine got thrown out of whack after installing the no-hops...then I had to buy adjustable uppers.

Old Jan 1st, 07, 12:25 PM
Tech Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by 69-CHVL View Post
Pete...I went through everything you going through...its all normal. I can't believe that this much grinding has to be done. Surely these rear end housing can't be that different from each other - I dont know why they can't get them to fit good. I really had to grind one more than the other. Also, the little bolt that is used to pin the no-hop bar to the housing was a littel too short.

But, when it is all said and done, they work awesome! I can do long "glassy" burnouts now. You can actually feel the rear end lift when taking off, even and a stop light and just letting the clutch out I can feel the rear lift slightly. What is happening is the car now "stands" on the rear, pushing the tires into the ground.

PS - be sure to check your pinion angle, as mine got thrown out of whack after installing the no-hops...then I had to buy adjustable uppers.

Vince how far into the webbing of the rear end were you able to drill that little bolt hole? Your right that bolt was to small also.

Thanks Pete
12 bolt 3.73

Old Jan 1st, 07, 12:44 PM
Tech Team

How close to the rear trunk pan do those no hop bars get at a static position? Does your car sit higher than normal(spring height)?

Jim
PSMCDR 2009

1969 COPO Chevelle Pure Stocker coming Fall 2014
Old Jan 1st, 07, 12:45 PM
Senior Tech Team
Vinny Vince

Pete...I was able to get them in pretty darn far. The directions call for at least 1/4 of webbing material has to be left outside of the bolt. I had to widen the bottom "fingers" so they would push farther into the housing. Out of the box they wouldn't go far enough into the housing.

I do think though that despite the grinding that is needed, these are the best no-hop bars b/c the have the bushing up top like you mentioned. The other don't. Not a big deal till (or if) you get adjustable uppers, as some elimiate the other bushing then you would have no bushings at all, which IMO would lead to undo stress on everything and add to the harhness.
Old Jan 1st, 07, 12:50 PM
Tech Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLerum View Post
How close to the rear trunk pan do those no hop bars get at a static position? Does your car sit higher than normal(spring height)?

Jim

Jim it wasnt close enough for me to notice, I had a friend (350 lbs) push up and down on the car with me under it and I saw no clearance issues. The car is at stock ride height with no gas tank,I use a cell.

Pete
12 bolt 3.73

Old Jan 1st, 07, 12:50 PM
Senior Tech Team
Vinny Vince

Jim, I think they get close to the pan, but dont hit AFAIK. The back does sit slightly higher now. Another nice side benfit you get is that there is now more exhaust pipe clearance since the control arms moved higher.

Old Jan 1st, 07, 2:26 PM
Tech Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by 69-CHVL View Post
Pete...I was able to get them in pretty darn far. The directions call for at least 1/4 of webbing material has to be left outside of the bolt. I had to widen the bottom "fingers" so they would push farther into the housing. Out of the box they wouldn't go far enough into the housing.

I do think though that despite the grinding that is needed, these are the best no-hop bars b/c the have the bushing up top like you mentioned. The other don't. Not a big deal till (or if) you get adjustable uppers, as some elimiate the other bushing then you would have no bushings at all, which IMO would lead to undo stress on everything and add to the harhness.

Vince I only got my little bolts in 1/4 if that ( its very close), and thats what bothers me. I dont want to swiss cheese the rear end. If I can later I will post pics.

Thanks Pete
12 bolt 3.73

Old Jan 1st, 07, 5:36 PM
Tech Team

The No Hop bars have helped the 4 speed guys with the limited tires. Mashing the tires in ground while forcing the back half of the car up has allowed guys to slip the clutch at higher RPM. Just much better improvements on the ET's with the more consistant 60 foot times. I need to get myself a pair before the season starts. The clearance on the trunk pan is a concern since it sits a little low.

Jim
PSMCDR 2009

1969 COPO Chevelle Pure Stocker coming Fall 2014
Old Jan 1st, 07, 8:46 PM
Tech Team

Here is a screw up. I went half way with the first hole before I noticed it was so close to the edge. The older I get the less I fit under that car.

What do you think?

Pete
12 bolt 3.73

Last edited by Ray Finkle; Jan 1st, 07 at 9:24 PM. Reason: images
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Chevelle Tech > General Tech Area > Performance      Current Topic: Edelbrock No Hop Bars Question
Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.