Vinyl Top trim - Chevelle Tech
Chevelle Tech join team chevelle as a supporting member  
Chevelle Parts at SS396.com      
GROUND UP & SS396.com         
Official Sponsor of Team Chevelle

Auto Insurance

Chevelles.com is the premier Chevrolet Chevelle Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Body Shop Paint & Body Forum

Old Nov 23rd, 06, 10:21 AM

Default Vinyl Top trim

I am planning to put a vinyl top on my 71. It was an original vinyl top car, but does not have any of the trim, etc. now. I just received my order of vinyl trim molding from OPGI and realized it is basically the trim, not the fasteners.
Does anyone have some info on what parts I need and where to get them to attach this pretty and expensive molding to the car?
Also, is the vinyl top material from OPGI top quality?

Thanks
Fun (most of the time) 71
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Nov 23rd, 06, 11:32 AM
Tech Team

Default Re: Vinyl Top trim

There is a guy on ebay that has an ebay store called Fasteners plus. I bought my molding clips from him and they worked fine. Not expensive either. I just put a vinyl top on my car but I got the top from npd. It is top quality and I'm sure opgi's is also.
Old Nov 23rd, 06, 11:53 AM
Senior Tech Team
Bob

CAUTION__CAUTION---------The repo rain gutter mouldings will not fit v. top cars. WHY????? My problem was with my one owner 70 SS 454. I screwed up two sets of repo gutter trim @ 90.00 a set. Then I went to a Body shop to have them installed. I must be doing something wrong???? Now I am on the third set at a body shop. The body man said "The V-top lays in the bottom of the gutter then comes up and over the outside of the gutter the gutter trim holds the V-top in place. He told me "You have the wrong trim" Heres the RUB!!! ---Most repo gutter trim is made for NON-V-TOP cars. It will be to narrow to go over the V-top and clip on to the bottom. You may want to check to see if it will go on tight WITHOUT the top. If it will go on tight without a top It WILL NOT go on with a V-top. Try to find some OEM V-top trim. Yes I used the repo trim. and I had to cut the V-top and it is glued to the bottom of the gutter. Check all avenues before you get into a JACK_POT. Just something to think about. On 70 GM cars. "TWO" gutter trims = V-top Trim and Non V-top trim. A 70 V-top trim piece will fit loose on a non -V-top car. Bob "Make the gutters fit the trim"???????????
Old Nov 23rd, 06, 6:43 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Mark

Here's their site

http://stores.ebay.com/Fasteners-Plus

Happy Thanksgiving
Old Nov 23rd, 06, 10:08 PM

Thanks to both of you. I realized it was the molding clips I need to get and then after reading about the gutter rail trim, I am sure I will need to get the vinyl top style. I have nice ones on there now, but they are tight without the vinyl.

Any good suggestions on where to get the OEM style for vinyl?
Old Nov 24th, 06, 5:59 AM
Team Member
Dan

You're going to have to source out a good used set, no other way. I will back up what Robinls5 has said as well. There IS a difference in the mouldings. I measured and it is about 1/16"-1/8". Not much but it makes the difference of them fitting or you bending the hell out of them trying to get them on.

My '69 was a non-vinyl car and I added a vinyl top to it. When I tried to install the original drip rail mouldings ( which I had paid big $$$ to have buffed ) they absolutely would not go on. I tracked down a set from a '68 Beaumont that had a vinyl top, and they popped right on.
Old Nov 24th, 06, 11:13 PM

Thumbs up Re: Vinyl Top trim

That's what I was afraid of. Any ideas of where to start looking for good originals? I guess a set from a 68-72 A-body would fit??

One silly question, is it possible to cut the vinyl short of where the molding has to push down to, or will that cause problems?

Great pix!!!

Fun 71
It's getting better all the time
Old Nov 25th, 06, 1:04 PM
Team Member
Dan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fun 71 View Post
That's what I was afraid of. Any ideas of where to start looking for good originals? I guess a set from a 68-72 A-body would fit??

One silly question, is it possible to cut the vinyl short of where the molding has to push down to, or will that cause problems?
Any Chevelle or Beaumont will do from 68-69, other year Chevelles will be different. Not sure if 68-69 Buick or Pontiac will fit, hopefuly someone will chime in.

Yes, it is possible to trim the vinyl away from the drip rail area, but then you run the risk of moisture getting under the top.
Old Nov 25th, 06, 5:17 PM
Team Member

Cool Re: Vinyl Top trim

Hate to jump in on a 66 regarding the same situation; but maybe similar problems will help. Do the 66's have the same problem with the drip rail moldings? The collision estimator sheets I have from Oct of 67 seem to indicate the rear window reveal moldings 7580180-1 (L & R) are the same for vinyl or non vinyl top 2 dr hdt cars. And that there is a front and a rear retainer used under the moldings to hold the vinyl top.

Doesn't seem to indicate a difference in the drip rail moldings; but don't know if I am reading the sheets correctly. It lists a: Molding W/strip, Roof Rail 7628184-5 and a: Retainer, Rail W/Strip 7649434-5. Assume these are the L R drip rail moldings and the L & R retainers for the drip rail when equiped with a vinyl top. any help in clarification is appreciated? Thanks.
Old Nov 25th, 06, 8:21 PM
Tech Team
Tom

Angry Re: Vinyl Top trim

Any one tried the ones from Ground Up? I just orderd a set last week and have not got them in yet. Sounds like I will be sending them back to

I to will take a set of oem's ..

3yrs and still not done..

Tom

Proud Dad of a US Marine

www.3vperformance.com
Old Nov 25th, 06, 8:31 PM
Team Member
Paul

The '70 that I had in '77 had a non original vinyl top. In the gutter there was a plastic strip holding the vinyl down and the strip was held in place by the molding. I am sure that it was forced in past the trim so that the original molding would not need to be changed. I wonder if something similar could be done now instead of trying to find original moldings?
Paul
Old Dec 8th, 06, 3:52 PM

What do you guys think about slightly removing (grinding off) some of the ledge that the drip moulding clips on to? Lar
Old Dec 8th, 06, 10:11 PM
Tech Team
john

the 70-72's are different from 68-69's i do have good used ones if you guys are interested.as for buick's pont's and olds they all differ.
Old Dec 8th, 06, 11:21 PM
Senior Tech Team

Send a message via AIM to Jim Mac

Great info, I was wondering why mine fits a little loose, I yanked them off a 72 parts car that originally was a vynle top car.
Old Dec 8th, 06, 11:36 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Chad

I'm also looking for the vinyl top set for my 71 and not having much luck yet.The 70-72 skylarks look close but not for sure if they will work or not.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Chevelle Tech > General Tech Area > Body Shop      Current Topic: Vinyl Top trim
Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.