quadrajet heat choke hookup? sb 400 - Chevelle Tech
Chevelle Tech join team chevelle as a supporting member  
Chevelle Parts at SS396.com      
GROUND UP & SS396.com         
Official Sponsor of Team Chevelle

Auto Insurance

Chevelles.com is the premier Chevrolet Chevelle Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Engine AdvertisementGeneral Engine Discussion.

Old Nov 10th, 06, 10:43 AM
Tech Team
Jeff

Default quadrajet heat choke hookup? sb 400

Hello,
I just got a 67 truck with a 72 sbc 400. The heat choke has been blocked off on the intake, someone made a plate. I purchased a rebuilt quadrajet for this motor. My question is ...is there any way to hook up a manual choke to the carb without messing up my secondary operation? or how would this heat choke setup be. i believe I have a heat riser piece that bolts to the intake. Is this just a vacuum line connection and be good to go? I pic of a heat choke setup on an intake would be great thanks. Thanks in advance
Jeff
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Nov 10th, 06, 11:16 AM
Lifetime Premium Member
Mike

Default Re: quadrajet heat choke hookup? sb 400

Is the intake the type that had a coil that was heated by the exhaust crossover? Is it the type that is called a "hot air choke"? The first type used a Quadrajet with a divorced choke. The second used one with a hot air choke.

If it's a divorced choke, no vacuum line necessary. Just get a choke coil and a choke rod.

If it's a hot air choke system, fresh air was drawn from a port on the airhorn of the carb (top section) through a vacuum line, through a metal tube heated by the intake, then the tube delivering the heated air was connected to the front of the choke assembly. If it's this type, you are in luck because you can convert it to electric choke very easily. Just put some RTV in the hole that provides the vacuum that draws the hot air - it's a tiny hole that you can see in the choke housing if you take the cover off. Then get a choke cap for a 1980+ Quadrajet that used electric choke. Run voltage to it from a souce that gets power only when the ignition is on. Put a vacuum cap on the port on the back of the carb that fed clean air to the old hot air choke, and you are done.

I have pics of both types on my signature. One carb is a 750 cfm Chevy that uses a divorced choke, the other is a 800 cfm Pontiac hot air style. Here is a pic to a 1976 Chevy hot air style choke:
http://www.geocities.com/unclepennyb...056502pass.jpg

For what it's worth, the electric / hot air style choke Quadrajets are nice, but in my experience, the old divorced choke style are hard to beat if you are looking to maximize fuel economy with an out of the box carb. My guess is that they richened up the A/F mixture to help lower Nox emissions some time around 1975, so the late 1960's or early 1970's Qj's are probably set up a little leaner. You can adjust the APT in the later ones to make up the difference, but it's a little bit of a hassle if you aren't into "tuning". Here's a link if you want to read more:

http://www.chevelles.com/forums/showthread.php?p=477716

Best Regards,

Mike

Last edited by Unclepennybags; Nov 10th, 06 at 11:46 AM.
Old Nov 10th, 06, 3:29 PM
Tech Team
Jeff

Default Re: quadrajet heat choke hookup? sb 400

Mike,
Thanks For the info, gotta to work now but Ill see what I can tear up tommorow!
Jeff
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Chevelle Tech > Mechanical > Engine      Current Topic: quadrajet heat choke hookup? sb 400
Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.