How do you straighten a hood? - Chevelle Tech
Chevelle Tech join team chevelle as a supporting member  
Chevelle Parts at SS396.com      
GROUND UP & SS396.com         
Official Sponsor of Team Chevelle

Auto Insurance

Chevelles.com is the premier Chevrolet Chevelle Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Body Shop Paint & Body Forum

Old Nov 26th, 02, 1:21 PM

I have a working Cowl Induction hood off of a parts car that I want to clean up and repaint for my '72. The problem is that over the years, I assume from being opened and closed against the pressure of the springs, the hood has developed an upward bow in the middle. This damage was clearly not caused by an impact. If you stand on either side of the car you can see the middle of the hood sits higher than the fenders by as much as a 1/4 of an inch.

Further inspection reveals that the framework under the hood has small stress cracks starting at openings in the frame about a third of the way back from the nose of the hood. I assume that these are a type of "crush zone" that is designed to compromise in an impact and fold the hood like a newer car.

There is no distinct crease. I need to know if this is something I can straighten and press back into shape. Then I am thinking I can weld up the cracks. Any ideas on how to proceed?

The car is a weekend driver. It does not have to be flawless but the car is solid and clean overall. I would like to avoid buying a repro hood at this point as there are other areas where I would like to invest the money in the car. I am guesing the cost of having a shop do the work would also exceed the amount of a repro hood as well as potentially not look as good.

Any thoughts or experience is greatly appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Nov 26th, 02, 10:35 PM
Senior Tech Team
Eric

I would replace the hood. Fixing damage like that is very hard and most often then not worth the price of a new hood. Goodmarks go for around 300 bucks and from what I hear they are great. Myself being a bodyman wouldnt fix that hood for 300 bucks...Eric

------------------
1970 chevelle
1970 chevelle SS455 not a typo its a BUICK BABY
1949 and 1972 chevy trucks
http://briefcase.yahoo.com/bc/sevt_chevelles
Old Nov 27th, 02, 6:09 AM
Lifetime Founding Member
Von

This will sound crude but it worked for me. When I bought my '69, the hood had a slight bow up about 1/4" above the fender like yours on the driver's side. When doing body work, I put it on the garage floor with the corners on carpet over 2"x4" blocks. At the area I wanted down 1/4" I built up wood blocking under it so the hood couldn't depress more than about 1/2" (so it could go down about 1/2" and spring back up some). I put padding on the hood and stood on it directly over the underside bracing along the edge. I then "jumped" up and down lightly without my bare feet leaving the padding. After doing that and checking, then "jumping" some more, I got it where I wanted it. The key is having a "limiter" under the hood so it doesn't depress too far and get kinked the other way.

------------------
von '69 300 Dlx SS TC #15 ACES #1575 HSCA #5
My '69 SS
Old Nov 27th, 02, 12:42 PM

Thanks Von, that seems like a good idea. I will give it a try. I am not looking for a show car finish right now. Hopefully I can get it close and paint it to match. I plan on repainting the entire car in a couple of years. At that point, if the repair is not up to par with the rest of the car a repro hood will e a good option.

Worst case, I further damage the hood I have and get a repro anyway. I really have nothing to loose.
Old Nov 27th, 02, 7:59 PM
Tech Team

I would try to fix the GM hood. I have scene the Goodmark Hoods and they have thin cheap metal and the underside just does'nt look like the GM Hood.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Chevelle Tech > General Tech Area > Body Shop      Current Topic: How do you straighten a hood?
Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.