doug herbert camshafts any good? - Chevelle Tech
Chevelle Tech join team chevelle as a supporting member  
Chevelle Parts at SS396.com      
GROUND UP & SS396.com         
Official Sponsor of Team Chevelle

Auto Insurance

Chevelles.com is the premier Chevrolet Chevelle Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Performance Our High Performance area

Old Oct 7th, 06, 10:38 AM
Tech Team
mike

Default doug herbert camshafts any good?

anyone ever run one? they are inexpensive. i'm looking at their smallest solid grind at about $245 cam lifters springs, locks and retainers. but if they are junk its not worth any amount of $. thanx mike
Advertisement

Old Oct 7th, 06, 12:37 PM
Senior Tech Team
Bill

Send a message via AIM to MrBill66Malibu
Thumbs up Re: doug herbert camshafts any good?

I have run their billet roller for 5 yrs in my small block and my buddy has run a roller in his big block for 7 yrs. No issues what so ever. Doug Herbert is the son of Chet Herbert, a long time cam grinder that has a very good name in the business. I trust their camshafts.

Bill
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old Oct 7th, 06, 2:08 PM
Senior Tech Team
Ken

Default Re: doug herbert camshafts any good?

I had used 2 cams from Chet Herbert back in the 60's and 70's. Both were right on the money as far as I could check them. Both worked well for my usage. One was SR, the other Hydralic flat tappet. In my opinion, Chet is "The Cam Father". I believe he ground asymetrical cams before anyone else, and his grinds were copied by many and claimed to be their own. I went to Chet first for my cam, but he said he didn't feel comfortable grinding a cam that would be used for the Rochester injection. Since the Rochester is somewhat dependant on manifold vacuum, Chet didn't want to be responsible if my car didn't run right with his cam. I ended up getting Harold's UR10/UR15 from Lunati, which I have not installed yet. Present cam is a street roller from CC. Although it's a roller, it's not agressive enough for my taste. Harold seems to think I will pick up about 20 ft. lbs with his grind, with better idle, and pull harder at higher RPM. Sounds like the magic cam to me.

Still, Chet makes good stuff. If you are wanting to see how your car will run with a roller cam, Chet will get you into one cheaper than anyone else.

I obtained my present Comp Cam in a warrenty dispute 15 years ago. That's why I used it first.
10:1, TH400, 3.31's, 4400 SS

"Life is too short to not run a solid roller cam."
"Nothing is impossible; if you don't know what you're talking about."
Kirkwoodken
Old Oct 9th, 06, 7:22 AM
Tech Team

Wink Re: doug herbert camshafts any good?

i have been running a herbert c6g roller for about 4 yrs now and got the cam used from my buddy and i know he had run it for at least 5 yrs or so.
Old Oct 9th, 06, 2:10 PM
Senior Tech Team
Dave

Why isn't Chet or Doug Hertbert cams listed in Summit or Jegs? Or do these guys sell directly to you and eliminate the middle man?

And how do these guys rate nowadays with other cam manufacturers?
Old Oct 9th, 06, 3:21 PM
Senior Tech Team
Ken

Here are a couple of links about Chet, Doug, and Doris Herbert. The world wouldn't be the same without them. In the 60's, Herbert warrenteed his cams for 5 years or 50,000 miles. You won't see anybody doing that now. Guys like Chet Herbert and Dick Mann marched to their own drums. Each made significant contributions to their diciplines. I wish them both a comfortable old age.

https://www.dougherbert.com/catalog_request.php
http://www.dragracingonline.com/features/herbert_1.html

Doug Herbert is a competitor of Summit, and has quite an extensive catalog. Check out his stuff. He's a real person.
10:1, TH400, 3.31's, 4400 SS

"Life is too short to not run a solid roller cam."
"Nothing is impossible; if you don't know what you're talking about."
Kirkwoodken
Old Oct 10th, 06, 1:22 AM
Senior Tech Team
Dave

Thanx Kirk, I just placed an order for my free catalog....looks to me like you can buy online at his website using paypal??????
Old Oct 10th, 06, 11:02 AM
Tech Team

Wink Re: doug herbert camshafts any good?

jyd hes in lincolnton n.c. up around charlotte not real far from you .there are also some good reading in his cattalogs about valve adjustments.they finnally explained it were even i could really get a grip on it.

Last edited by JUNK YARD DOG; Oct 10th, 06 at 11:04 AM. Reason: mis spelling
Old Oct 10th, 06, 1:48 PM
Senior Tech Team

Default !!!

Love there cams ,ive ran the solid flatt tappets ,and the solid rollers in small blocks ,no problems so far,I am now building a 427 bb with a solid roller ,hope it runs as good as my small blocks!!
Now for ther catalog. As soon as you pick it up make sure you have at least an hour of free and quiet time !! You will need it! I love there catalogs toooo!

KINDA makes summit look like a stock replacement parts store like kragen,checker!!!
Old Oct 12th, 06, 6:36 PM
Tech Team
Mick

Just requested the doug herbert catalog looks like his does some great products in there,also gave the Team chevelle site a good plug with my request so maybe you guys might be in for some parts .
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Chevelle Tech > General Tech Area > Performance      Current Topic: doug herbert camshafts any good?
Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.