How much does body work generally cost. - Chevelle Tech
Chevelle Tech join team chevelle as a supporting member  
Chevelle Parts at SS396.com      
GROUND UP & SS396.com         
Official Sponsor of Team Chevelle

Auto Insurance

Chevelles.com is the premier Chevrolet Chevelle Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Body Shop Paint & Body Forum

Old Sep 28th, 06, 9:14 PM
Tech Team

Default How much does body work generally cost.

hi, i am making a pretty big decision right now and would really appriciate some advice. I am 16 and bought a 64 malibu 4dr back in december. It has been off the road since then and now probably next week it will be ready for the road. When i bought the car it was under an indor cover, outside. So the rain was just kinda sitting in the cover for years and years. The paint it pretty dull and has a small amount of surface rust in some spots. Mostly just cracking in the paint, but it isnt peeling. The side of the car that was facing the road needs new rear quarter pretty bad. I would say there is a 5x2 spot, that is bubbling and pretty evident of rust but it isnt a hole. I may also need a front quarter but i think it can just be sanded and repainted. My trunk has some surface rust do to a leak somewere. It let water in and it just sat. it is not heavy and i am going to fix it before it gets bad. There are a few spots with a good amount of surface rust that i sanded down and primed and painted just to protect them. About 4 5x5in spots. The only other body work my car needs is by the rear and fron window's. When we tried to remove the front window it cracked so it is going to get replaced. We took it out because water was getting onto my floor and it was very wet which would lead to rusted out floor panels. I used some cold weld on the holes and i bondo'ed the pits (i am still doing this now). It is coming along very well and it is very smooth. After that i will shoot it with paint, put the window in, get my wipers working and then i can register it.

Alright now that i have described the car as best i can without pics here is my question. I basically need this car for a daily driver. Is this really a practicall car to do this with? I know it is not up to date with the technology but i mean is it worth keeping? I really have no clue how much body work costs and i am guessing within two years it will be pretty bad if i dont do something. I dont have alot of money so take that into consideration. So far, i have rebuild all brakes, painted, drums, new bushings for a-arms, repainted the arms, new shock all around, new wheels all around, cleaned the intake and exhaust manifold and painted them. All new plugs,wires,ignition. So far i have about $2000 in parts in this car. Or maybe a bit under.

Is this a car worth keeping? I know it is all my opinion with what i like but i am really just looking for your opinion to help me because i cant decide what to do. Also i am guessing my frame will need to be cleaned and painted too. Any advice would be very much appriciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Sep 28th, 06, 9:26 PM
Senior Tech Team
Chris White

Default Re: How much does body work generally cost.

bodywork is about $40/hour from my experience..i need about 30 hours on my 68 but thats what i was expecting.
are you looking at an investment with your car or just a money pit/have fun car? i guess thats what determines it
Old Sep 29th, 06, 12:37 AM
Lifetime Premium Member
Tom

Send a message via AIM to BlueSS454

The only other alternative is to go talk to a local vocational school body shop. They often take cars in for the students to work on so the work itself is free, you pay for materials. The only downside is, it will be out of your hands for a considerable time and they won't get into cleaning and painting a frame. FWIW, I have already into my 69 Charger about 1000 hours from when I tore it apart and still have at least another 100 to go just to get the body ready for paint.
1969 Dodge Charger
1970 Chevelle Convertible
Maryland Chevelle Club
Old Sep 29th, 06, 2:14 AM
Tech Team

i think your car is worth keeping. especially if you get pleasure and transportaion from it. as a matter of fact i envy you! when i was your age i spent most of my money and most of my time on my 1st car. and you know what? i'd do it again! good luck and God bless you.
Old Sep 29th, 06, 2:45 AM
Tech Team
Timothy

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubba68ss View Post
bodywork is about $40/hour from my experience...
Note to self, get bodywork done where this guy lives

(Decent) Shops around here average anywhere from $55-$70 an hour.

I'm to about $10K spent on mine, and it wasn't even in that bad of shape!

'01 Suzuki GSX-R1000 - 12.18 @ 122.63 5/19/2006 (uncorrected at 4,600')
'05 Dodge Magnum R/T
'94 Corvette LT1 (only 68K miles)
'72 Chevelle Malibu (under construction. still.)
Old Sep 29th, 06, 6:06 AM
Tech Team

does anybody know what the general cost is to have the body taken off to have the frame cleaned and painted, Or is this more of an hourly thing also? thanks for all your help.
Old Sep 29th, 06, 8:43 PM
Tech Team
Timothy

Taking the body off is hourly, as some are harder than others.

I had my frame straightened, media blasted, and powdercoated (with the trans crossmember and radiator support) for about $800.

'01 Suzuki GSX-R1000 - 12.18 @ 122.63 5/19/2006 (uncorrected at 4,600')
'05 Dodge Magnum R/T
'94 Corvette LT1 (only 68K miles)
'72 Chevelle Malibu (under construction. still.)
Old Oct 3rd, 06, 8:33 AM
Tech Team
Dave

I think you should keep trying to do as much as you can yourself. To do rust repair right, sand/media blasting is the only way to go, short of dipping it. But this is a car with "issues" and a budget for proper repairs is beyond what can be afforded. I'd invest in some rust preparation products like Rust Encapsulator from Eastwood or POR 15 to at least slow down the rusting. You need to know that unless sandblasted, no matter how good you grind and sand the areas, rust will come back. Nothing including primer and paint sticks to rust. The products mentioned above have some value and would be beneficial for your project.
I'd look into patch panels for the quarters, but if not too bad or large, proper guage steel could be welded into problem areas. Contours in the body also will determine what's best- flat steel or a ready made patch panel. You'd definitely have to cut out the old rusted area, then match up the patch panel. Having said that, it generally should be left for the pros. You could do the preliminary work here to save some $$.
Do the best you can yourself, learn from doing (buying a book on the subject wouldn't hurt) it yourself. Then drive the wheels of it!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Chevelle Tech > General Tech Area > Body Shop      Current Topic: How much does body work generally cost.
Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.