bell housing for a 454? - Chevelle Tech
Chevelle Tech join team chevelle as a supporting member  
Chevelle Parts at SS396.com      
GROUND UP & SS396.com         
Official Sponsor of Team Chevelle

Auto Insurance

Chevelles.com is the premier Chevrolet Chevelle Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Transmission & Driveline Transmissions and Differentials

Old Aug 15th, 06, 9:56 AM
Senior Tech Team

Send a message via AIM to Jim Mac
Default bell housing for a 454?

I got to thinking of a muncie swap last weekend, Phillip on the board here offered me good deal on one, but after pricing everything else it looks like the tranny will be the cheapest parts of the swap. Since a couple of swap meets are coming up soon I thought id see if I can find a bell housing, not looking for a 621 because of the price, and I understand a 10.5 clutch is fine so is there a list for bellhousing numbers to look for? motor is basically a truck 454 gen 4 so I know i'll need a flywheel too. I just don't want to buy something I cant use. thanks. Jim
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Aug 15th, 06, 10:01 AM
Moderator/Gold 67

Default Re: bell housing for a 454?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Mac
I got to thinking of a muncie swap last weekend, Phillip on the board here offered me good deal on one, but after pricing everything else it looks like the tranny will be the cheapest parts of the swap. Since a couple of swap meets are coming up soon I thought id see if I can find a bell housing, not looking for a 621 because of the price, and I understand a 10.5 clutch is fine so is there a list for bellhousing numbers to look for? motor is basically a truck 454 gen 4 so I know i'll need a flywheel too. I just don't want to buy something I cant use. thanks. Jim
Do a search on bell housings. Tom Parsons, aka DZAUTO, has good info on what will work and the sizes. You can use a truck housing, has a larger hole in the front but McLeod make a niffy spacer to reduce the hole to a stock muncie size and the housings are dirt cheap.
www.muncie4speed.com
www.muncie5speed.com
Nothing Shifts Like a Muncie!
Old Aug 15th, 06, 10:46 AM
Tech Team

I picked up a truck housing in excellent condition for 20 bucks! My grandpa has a lathe, so he's going to help me with the spacer. It shoudln't take more than an hour.
454/TKO 600/12 bolt w/ Locker
Old Aug 15th, 06, 11:09 AM
Team Member
Tom

Jim,
READ THIS CAREFULLY!
I would NOT advise using the smaller flywheel and 10 1/2in clutch behind a BB. Yes, the bell housings (such as a 621) are becoming a little scarce and the prices are going up on them. I used to pick them up at swap meets for around $50, but according to everyone else, that no longer seems possible!
Wally is 100% on the money about using a truck housing. The truck housing is a 100% perfect fit and the Muncie will bolt right up----------------------BUT YOU DO NEED TO USE A SPACER!!!! The reason for using a spacer is because the fit of the tranny front bearing retainer into the hole of the bell housing is what properly centers the tranny with the crankshaft. YOU CANNOT COUNT ON THOSE FOUR BOLTS TO PROPERLY CENTER THE TRANNY!
Other than the larger hole in the truck housing, the most noticeable difference between a truck and car housing is that the truck housing has a big additional bulge around the lower portion of the housing (which I personally do not like). But the housing will function just fine when using a spacer.
I presume that you are aware that the 454 must use an UNbalanced flywheel which has an extra weight on one side. These unbalanced flywheels only come in the larger 14in diameter 168 teeth version.
#3 FOREVER!!!!!
Light travels faster than sound. That is why some people appear to be bright until you hear them speak. (unknown)
Old Aug 15th, 06, 1:41 PM
Lifetime Premium Member

Hey Tom,

Would you have any casting numbers for those bell housings that could be used with the 454? Would this one work, GM460486?

I'm going to a BB eventually.
M20/3.73 Eaton posi
http://www.chevelles.com/showroom/data/500/medium/Ext08.JPG
Old Aug 15th, 06, 9:04 PM
Senior Tech Team

thanks for the info, Im just thinking im going to start collecting parts, I found a bell housing the guy said its a nova bell housing because the clutch fork angles down quite a bit, will this one work? reason I ask is I can probably get it cheap, he's cleaning his yard and gave me a 10 bolt 1st gen camaro rear and a 350 shortblock. Jim
Old Aug 15th, 06, 9:29 PM
Super Mod
Mr Bill

Jim,
Dont know how much you want to spend, but here is a brand new Lakewood with block plate for $210

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/New-L...QQcmdZViewItem

Enginerepairshop.com

1971 Heavy Chevy - original owner
1984 Buick Riviera - original owner (Wife's car)
Team Chevelle #100
Old Aug 15th, 06, 10:44 PM
Senior Tech Team

thanks for the link. Im just going to leave it alone for now, and see what pops up at the next few swap meets. On another note Im not sure the headers will clear the clutch linkage. Does anyone know if summit 9010 headers work for a 4 speed 70 chevelle? thanks Jim
Old Aug 16th, 06, 9:17 AM
Team Member
Tom

I'll look at the casting number on the truck housing tonight when I get home tonight.

You don't want an early Nova housing for two reasons.
1. The bearing fork angle is totally wrong for a Chevelle------just won't work!
2. It is ONLY for the smaller flywheel/10 1/2in clutch. For a BB, you want a big flywheel/11in clutch/big bell housing.
#3 FOREVER!!!!!
Light travels faster than sound. That is why some people appear to be bright until you hear them speak. (unknown)
Old Aug 16th, 06, 9:53 AM
Tech Team

Jim,

After cracking the 40 year old 621 in my 66 Chevelle (454) I began looking for another 621 and every good one was over $200. and I was worried about using a bellhousing that was 30 to 40 years old. Thats when I came across Keisler and their reproduction of the 621, all new and kit like a glove it even has the GM number stamped into it. I bought the kit with bolts and cover for $199. Check it out at;

http://www.keislerauto.com/gm/transm...ellhousing.asp
Old Aug 16th, 06, 9:57 AM
Team Member
Tom

Jim,
Also, bell housings (generally) have no correlation to engines. Going all the way back to 1955 (first Chevy V8), ANY bell housing for ANY Chevy V8 will bolt up to ANY Chevy V8 engine, as well as any 63-later Chevy 6cyl and V6. Thus, you can literally stick a 502 into a 55 Chevy and bolt it up to the 55 Bell housing!
The back of all Chevy V8s have the same bolt pattern for a bell housing/auto tranny.
#3 FOREVER!!!!!
Old Aug 16th, 06, 2:48 PM
Moderator/Gold 67

Here is a list of many Chevy bell housings. This is not a advertisement for these guys, just info.

http://www.tracyvette.com/bellhousings.html
www.muncie4speed.com
www.muncie5speed.com
Nothing Shifts Like a Muncie!
Old Aug 16th, 06, 7:16 PM
Team Member
Tom

The casting number on the truck housing is 460486. I've been passing these up left and right at the swap meets for years, at prices of $10-25. I guess I should start buying all I run across at these prices. As already mentioned, they can be used quite successfully with a spacer (just remember, they have that big additional bulge on the bottom).

The following are casting numbers for bell housings that can be used with the big flywheel (168 teeth) and 11in clutch.

3872444-used on some Chevelles and Vettes in 66/67-if you run across one of these it will usually command a rather high price, they're highly sought after by the BB Vette guys.

3899621-this is the typical housing for the big flywheel and was used on a bazillion cars and light trucks (I don't understand why they are so scarce and expensive!!!!!!!!!!!!!).

464697-this is virtually a clone of the above (621) housing. It was used in 80s and later as well as a parts dept service replacement. There should be a ton of them out there, but I seldom see them. If you are not a numbers nut, this is an excellent housing, SHOULD be cheap (everyone is looking for a 621) and will work just fine. Other than the casting number, it looks 100% identical to a 621.
#3 FOREVER!!!!!
Old Aug 16th, 06, 8:23 PM
Levon

We haev used the 697 housing a few times. However sometimes, when you use an aluminum nose starter, the nose will hit inside the housing. 5 minutes with a dremel fixes that though. Its a small amount that needs removal.
Team Chevelle #279
70 Chevelle SS 454 LS5 4 speed (Current Engine VortecPro 460 (513 HP) Original is resting
1966 427 Corvette SOLD
1973 Camaro IHRA Hot Rod (LS-6 Auto)11.00 @121 (Chased a 10.99 or better) SOLD

Priddis, Ab. Canada

My Showroom
Old Aug 16th, 06, 9:15 PM
Lifetime Premium Member

Thanks Tom. Excellent info. You always seem to come up with the answers.
M20/3.73 Eaton posi
http://www.chevelles.com/showroom/data/500/medium/Ext08.JPG
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Chevelle Tech > Mechanical > Transmission & Driveline      Current Topic: bell housing for a 454?
Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.