chevrolet chevelle should they make another chevelle? - Chevelle Tech
Chevelle Tech join team chevelle as a supporting member  
Chevelle Parts at SS396.com      
GROUND UP & SS396.com         
Official Sponsor of Team Chevelle

Auto Insurance

Chevelles.com is the premier Chevrolet Chevelle Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Bench Racing Stories, cruising and more.

Old Jul 10th, 06, 1:11 AM

Send a message via AIM to DYDAVID
Default chevrolet chevelle should they make another chevelle?

I personaly think this would be great to get more people into chevelles also it might increase the number of compatable parts for our older one but i think it would have to be designed just right to sell but i think they should redesign it cause their doing it with the camero and it looks badass heck my mo even wants a new camero but i would buy a new chevelle. so if you like the idea repost or something.
Advertisement

Old Jul 10th, 06, 7:19 AM
Tech Team

Default Re: chevrolet chevelle should they make another chevelle?

Don't they already make the Malibu? What a joke that is...
Old Jul 10th, 06, 8:31 AM
Senior Tech Team
"The Stig"

Give me anything (V8 RWD) from Holden's lineup, and I'd be happy
Old Jul 10th, 06, 9:27 AM
Senior Tech Team
Dave

Don't do a retro Chevelle....let's remember Chevelles for what they were from '64-'72....not what what they might try to be now.
Old Jul 10th, 06, 11:37 AM
Lifetime Premium Member
Tony

Quote:
Originally Posted by DYDAVID
I personaly think this would be great to get more people into chevelles also it might increase the number of compatable parts for our older one ...
Personally, I don't want more people getting into Chevelles... The prices are high enough already...

"compatable" parts? What do you think will be compatable and Chevelle specific??

Unless they are going to build something in the same vein as the originals (well, the "popular" originals like the SS models), then don't bother... IMO, The Chevelle name evokes nostalgic visions of the past. I don't want GM screwingthat up just to use the name... At least make it something "worthy" of the name...
TC #1366
'70 Chevelle 427 Stroker
'66 Convertible Sold
Dual Quad 396 & Conv Int
'66 SS L78
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old Jul 10th, 06, 11:53 AM
Lifetime Premium Member
Todd

Quote:
Originally Posted by DYDAVID
heck my mom even wants a new camero but i would buy a new chevelle.
David you must be very young to include your mom in your post.

I hope The big automakers start making some interesting Muscle Cars that reflect back to the 60's big engine high horse rear wheel drive cars.
If Dodge builds that new Challenger, count me in.
But I don't think there is enough market share for GM to build a new Chevelle.
And in my opinion I don't want to see the Chevelle name being used on any new car.
I think you are going to see a whole new line of economy cars being built before they ever lay pen to paper to draw up a new muscle car gas guzzler.

That is why we cherish the original 64-72 Chevelles

Old Jul 10th, 06, 12:02 PM
Senior Tech Team
Eric Shunn

There are several ways to look at this. The Malibu that is out now is exactly what the basic Chevelle was back then, a mid-sized basic car. We forget that the majority of Chevelles were exactly that, and not the SS models. However, the basic A-body platform also lent itself well to a performance model. The problem now is that trying to make a performance car out of the current Malibu would almost certainly result in a joke, because a front wheel drive car just does not make for a good performance vehicle of the type we are talking about.

If they make a Chevelle now, it would need to be a different model alltogether from the Malibu. But this talk about not bringing back the Chevelle because we need to remember it for what and not the new model is silly. I don't hear anyone saying that we should stop making Corvettes because we need to remember them for what they used to be. If they bring back the Chevelle and it's a decent car, then that's great.
If it doesn't fit, force it. If it breaks, it needed to be replaced anyway.

SuperAndy's Garage

B and A Antiques
Old Jul 10th, 06, 12:35 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Rob

Send a message via ICQ to Whittaker Send a message via AIM to Whittaker

I would have to believe it would fall into the same class of flops like the GTO. Its just a new car with an old cars name. Can't use 442 any more since we killed off Olds. Hell bring back the Belair. The new Malibu is a joke and even though I know plain old Malibus in the 60s were transportation and family cars the new one just is not the same.

When did they run out of names for new cars? Whats with Pontiac? G6? What is that about. I see that Buick gets a North Star engine. Hasn't that been around for 10 years? Where in the driving excitement?

What about a Buick GSX?

Leave Chevelle alone.

1966 Chevelle wagon, 408 SB, 3.73 12 bolt, 700R4, 12" discs front 10" rear.
Old Jul 10th, 06, 12:47 PM
Senior Tech Team

Sometimes I feel like Bill Murray in the movie "Groundhog Day"...
Old Jul 10th, 06, 12:58 PM
Senior Tech Team
Eric Shunn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whittaker
I would have to believe it would fall into the same class of flops like the GTO. Its just a new car with an old cars name. Can't use 442 any more since we killed off Olds. Hell bring back the Belair. The new Malibu is a joke and even though I know plain old Malibus in the 60s were transportation and family cars the new one just is not the same.

When did they run out of names for new cars? Whats with Pontiac? G6? What is that about. I see that Buick gets a North Star engine. Hasn't that been around for 10 years? Where in the driving excitement?

What about a Buick GSX?

Leave Chevelle alone.
I'll bet the GSX and the 442 people would say the same thing - leave the name alone!

But why not bring back the 442? Just because they stopped making them doesn't mean they can't bring it back - I'm sure they still own the rights to the Oldsmobile name.

I wouldn't necessarily call the GTO a flop. From a sales point, perhaps, although I don't know how many they sold. From a styling point, maybe. It was just OK to me, although I wouldn't mind owning one. I would have liked something other than that goofy Pontiac grille on the front. But some people liked it, some didn't. But from a performance standpoint, it is exactly, exactly, exactly what the 1964 GTO was intended to be, a small car with a powerful engine. It was certainly a muscle car in every sense of the term, only it handle much better and got much better mileage. My only complaint is that they were too expensive for my budget.

The problem I think is that the muscle car era is gone. Sure, we'll always have cars with high HP that go fast, but we can never recapture that moment in time. However, we can still have some cools cars to drool over! I would count the GTO among those, myself.

Andy
If it doesn't fit, force it. If it breaks, it needed to be replaced anyway.

SuperAndy's Garage

B and A Antiques
Old Jul 10th, 06, 6:13 PM
Senior Tech Team
Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by theclencher
Yeah- we don't need for GM to do another "Nova".
I concur....they desecrated that name by sticking it on a Toyota Corolla.

Old car names should not be resurected for newer cars.

Next Ford will come out with a 2007 Model T.....
Old Jul 10th, 06, 6:25 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Scott

And don't forget the "new" LeMans. Looked like a sad ripoff of a honda civic. The only thing close is the "new" Monte. 303hp 26mpg. Still needs to be rwd though.
TC #3238
ACES #7490
My Site
The Rebuild

To secure these rights, Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed, That whenever any Form of Government becomes destructive of these ends, it is the Right of the People to alter or to abolish it, and to institute new Government
The Declaration of Independence
Old Jul 10th, 06, 8:40 PM
Team Member
Tom

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
GM is on the way out. I look for GM to no longer exist in 10-15yrs. Part of the problem is because they just don't get it!!!!!!!!!!!! GM is so eat up with satisfying the God almighty stockholder that they don't bother to listen or pay attention to what is really needed or wanted by the "Chevy" buyer.
If Chev were to attempt to build a new Chevelle, they'd just f-----------er, screw it up!!!!!!!!!!!!!
GM has just flat lost touch with reality!
#3 FOREVER!!!!!
Light travels faster than sound. That is why some people appear to be bright until you hear them speak. (unknown)
Old Jul 10th, 06, 9:13 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
John

Designing a car for retro purposes is a quagmire. Trying to blend the distinct body changes from 64-72 would be tough one. Which one to emphasis? Each has there own followers and most likely result in some people being put off. Remember our chevelles were all over the place for designs; 4 doors, wagons, camino's, not just 2 door big blocks brutes.

How modern spin do you put on it? Ford pulled it off only because there was continuity of the product line and were able to migrate the prior models designs to the newer style without being such a drastic change.

As for bringing back old names, look at the GTO. The new GTO should have never been named such and would have been better to be the called the Monaro IMO. No lineage to really compare to and makes it's own mark.
1970 EL Camino soon to be LS1 / T56
06' GTO LS2, M6, CGM

Instructions...All I need is the exploded view.
Old Jul 10th, 06, 9:28 PM
Team Member
Joe

Chevelle? No, can't see it. But the new body style Monte Carlo would be a great car in rear drive V-8 design.

http://www.chevelles.com/showroom/sh...2/limit/recent
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Chevelle Tech > Information Exchange > Bench Racing      Current Topic: chevrolet chevelle should they make another chevelle?
Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.