first post Shafiroff Ultra Street 540 - Chevelle Tech
Chevelle Tech join team chevelle as a supporting member  
Chevelle Parts at SS396.com      
GROUND UP & SS396.com         
Official Sponsor of Team Chevelle

Auto Insurance

Chevelles.com is the premier Chevrolet Chevelle Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Performance Our High Performance area

Old Jun 28th, 06, 1:10 PM
Tech Team

Send a message via Yahoo to R67chevelle
Thumbs up first post Shafiroff Ultra Street 540

Well should have been a member a long time ago. Been reading post and info on this site on and off for about 7 years. I have a 67 chevelle I have had now for 20 years, it was my first car. I have had it stored for about the past 8 years and now I have the $ and time to start a rebuild of the way I always wanted.

Here is my questions. I have a 327 that I built in 88. It puts out 485hp with a close ratio 4 speed. Funny back then I wanted a 427 or 454 and thought back then that was big, but not today. (no disrespect to these engines)

I am looking at going big block. Shafiroff Ultra Street 540 with a alunimum merlin block, AFR 335 CNC heads, and going fuel injected w/ 125 wet plat shot of Nos. I am searching for about 720-740hp on motor thats streetable. Is this realistic?

Trans will be 4L80E with a currie 9" with around a 3.50 gear. My goal is 600rwhp. I have also entertained going 434 with Procharger.

Any suggestions or advise would be appreciated especially from Chevelle/ElCamino gearheads.... I have enjoyed this site for years, I appologize for not participating sooner and thanks to all who do participate on chevelles.com......
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Jun 28th, 06, 1:14 PM
Senior Tech Team
John

Default Re: first post Shafiroff Ultra Street 540

Either of your ideas would be killer and make the power you are looking for.
Old Jun 28th, 06, 1:26 PM
Senior Tech Team
Chris

Either way you will probably accomplish your goals. A very good friend of mine has a Shafiroff SBC (not sure what size) in his 2000# British car. If I remember correctly it put out about 625 FWHP. First pass off the trailer ran a 9.21 before he was asked to leave (convertable with no roll bar). This is also a street car and runs on hi-test.

When i was looking at a motor for my car, the Shafiroff was definatley an option. I spoke with a few different people who were helpful. I don't think you will have a problem with your power goals either way.

Chris

Big Red Roastin' Em (Video)
The Body
The Soul
Other Project - 66 Cobra - 475"BBC
Old Jun 28th, 06, 2:28 PM
Tech Team

i have a SHAFIROFF 540 SATURDAY NIGHT SPEACIAL (785 hp)version in my 67 chevelle and i am very pleased with it !!! i dont think with this version you will have a problem reaching your goals . Very nice people and a very class act shop !! if you do go with SHAFIROFF talk to MIKE and tell him PHIL sent you. Good luck with what ever you do ! If you have any Questions about them please feel free to pm me .. PHIL
Old Jun 28th, 06, 3:38 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Hobbyist

I would maybe pass on the aluminum block unless this is a race only deall.
Old Jun 28th, 06, 3:44 PM
Tech Team

I love the way your thinking, your sure to have a great performing car. I would suggest talking to Carl at CNC Blocks northeast about the Merlin. He will give you a honest feedback on his past experiences with them. I love the AFR's , they have a excellent product.
Old Jun 28th, 06, 3:59 PM
Tech Team

I second passing on the alum. block. Also check out Reher-Morrisons web site and Steve Schmidt racing.
Old Jun 28th, 06, 4:00 PM
Tech Team

Send a message via Yahoo to R67chevelle

Quote:
Originally Posted by idunno
I love the way your thinking, your sure to have a great performing car. I would suggest talking to Carl at CNC Blocks northeast about the Merlin. He will give you a honest feedback on his past experiences with them. I love the AFR's , they have a excellent product.
Reason for going to the alunimum block was for weight and the different factor. Do not know anyone personally who has used this before. I asumed like the LS motors these blocks held up very well. Am I asumming wrong? Any input would be helpful?

Also, I am aiming at running 91-93 octane with a little booster and can run on occassional long cruises.

Thanks guys for all the input...
Old Jun 28th, 06, 5:07 PM
Senior Tech Team
Troy

I wouldn't rule out an aluminum block but I'd think twice about a merlin aluminum block. Do some digging and you'll soon see why.

Old Procharged 350: 88mph 1/8, 11.9 @ 125mph 1/4, full street trim on slippery 17's, 3950# with driver, ice chest, stereo, and tools, California 91 pump gas.

In progress: Twin Turbo LS2, going for a bigger ET/MPH mismatch at the 1/4.
Old Jun 28th, 06, 5:12 PM
Team Member
Vegas TC Ambassador

Right off the bat, you better plan on running 91 octane, because that's all your gonna find at the corner station anywhere in the Las Vegas area. Used to be that the occasional Rebel station offered 105, but i think those days are gone. Haven't seen any for quite sometime.

I've lived in Vegas my whole life, bought my '66 the summer before 9th grade (1978). Plenty of drama in those 28 years. It has literally been my daily driver for the entire span, excluding time spent on any of it's three ressurections ( the most recent taking 7 months to the day following it's theft 7/31/05). It has been back in full time service since Easter and has rolled up nearly 1700 miles. All brutal city driving (Vegas in the summer is a torture chamber for performance cars , as well as, their drivers).

Your welcome to check out my combination: Dart 540cid-753.8 HP@6700rpm- 673.4 TQ @ 5200rpm; 10:1, AFR cnc'd 335's, ProSystems 1100 Dominator, Isky Solid Roller 267/273 @ .050 714/714 112 LSA. All the work was done up at Mike Lewis' (Wolfplace) last fall. I took Yellow68SS (Kyle) for some sphincter palates when he was in town about a month ago, maybe he'll chime in here, it certainly will leave a spot in your shorts.

Send me an email through TC, we'll exchange pleasantry's. I've been in contact with 4 or 5 local TCer's, actually meeting two. GSOUPME (Greg) has a '66 SS Clone (currently under going a frame off, nearing the end though) and Nelson has a restored '67 SS. Since I have so much "start over" experience, I have a pretty comprehensive collection of parts too.
COAN Extreme Street Th400/10"
3.55 12 bolt Auburn posi
DAILY DRIVER
BEST: 60' 1.59 / 1/4 10.591 / MPH 129.70
3770 lbs, 91 Octane, M/T ET Street Radials
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=88c6MLbQvEI
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rTd2O5fZ2lU&NR=1
Old Jun 28th, 06, 5:33 PM
Senior Tech Team

Geeze if you can manage a 327 with 485 h.p. on the street ,i think the 540 will be a good comparison (routiness) wise.
Old Jun 28th, 06, 7:33 PM
Senior Tech Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gokou
I wouldn't rule out an aluminum block but I'd think twice about a merlin aluminum block. Do some digging and you'll soon see why.
The cast iron blocks make about 50 H.P. more with everything else being equal and require much less maintainence. I guy i know put a 615" Donovan in his race car and it was down about 50 horsepower on the Reher-Morrison dyno according to the people who ran the tests. The small block blower motor would produce the best power if cost isn't a factor.
Old Jun 28th, 06, 7:36 PM
Senior Tech Team
Troy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harold Sutton
The cast iron blocks make about 50 H.P. more with everything else being equal and require much less maintainence. I guy i know put a 615" Donovan in his race car and it was down about 50 horsepower on the Reher-Morrison dyno according to the people who ran the tests. The small block blower motor would produce the best power if cost isn't a factor.
A very good point. I was thinking more along the lines of weight savings and not overall thermal efficiency and bore stability.

Old Procharged 350: 88mph 1/8, 11.9 @ 125mph 1/4, full street trim on slippery 17's, 3950# with driver, ice chest, stereo, and tools, California 91 pump gas.

In progress: Twin Turbo LS2, going for a bigger ET/MPH mismatch at the 1/4.
Old Jun 28th, 06, 9:19 PM
Senior Tech Team
John

50 Hp ??? I gotta tell you that seems like an awful lot. The nice thing about an aluminum block is if you pitch a rod you can repair the block. The next block for my race car will be aluminum.
Old Jun 28th, 06, 9:40 PM
Lifetime Premium Member

3:50 gears with a 4l80e? i would prob run 3:73 min., since your running the 4l80e because of the o/d, and esp if you go to the lock up conv.
prepare to spend $4k for the trans with computer
i went a diff route on the trans, using a 400 with a 2:75 1st gear kit, and 3:50 gears, tight converter
have you looked at the chevy 572 street motor, another option
im a little partial to the prochargers, but everyone has a choice
Advertisement

Chevelle Tech > General Tech Area > Performance      Current Topic: first post Shafiroff Ultra Street 540
Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.