muncie shifter linkage adjustments - Chevelle Tech
Chevelle Tech join team chevelle as a supporting member  
Chevelle Parts at SS396.com      
GROUND UP & SS396.com         
Official Sponsor of Team Chevelle

Auto Insurance

Chevelles.com is the premier Chevrolet Chevelle Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Transmission & Driveline Transmissions and Differentials

Old Jun 13th, 06, 9:01 AM
Tech Team

Default muncie shifter linkage adjustments

i'm restoring another chevelle I bought and this ones a 4 speed, it came as an original 4 speed car with the muncie 20 and its orignal shifter, the body is done trans and engine are in and now since i've been an automatic type i'm having a difficult time adjusting the trans linkages, i went into forum and there is several topics posted but none is real clear, also have service manual and its also not very clear, can anyone help??? i'd appreciate it, mike

Last edited by steelworker198; Sep 16th, 06 at 7:38 AM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Jun 13th, 06, 9:16 AM
Team Member

Default Re: muncie shifter linkage adjustments

make sure the correct levers are on the transmission. disconnect the rods from the shifter. insert a 1/4" drill bit in the shifter mechanism to line up the shifter levers. put the appropriate rods in place in the tranny levers (one at a time) starting closest to the transmission and working out. closest will be reverse. next is 1-2 and last 3-4 and adjust the length to fit into the shifter.
Old Jun 13th, 06, 12:17 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Tom Lloyd

huffhuff's description pretty much covers it.

I would like to point out that you do have the right linkage. The shop manual is a good source for orientation of the shifter linkage. I often see shifter rods on backwards.

When the drill bit (or 1/4 inch pin) goes into the shifter mechanism this positions all three levers in their neutral position.

Make sure the shifter is mounted in the final position.

Then put reverse into neutral by moving the lever on the Muncie. Adjust the rod to fit.

Do the same for 1-2, then 3-4. Done.

How do you keep you work space so clean? It looks fake! Beautiful car.
Old Jun 13th, 06, 12:34 PM
Tech Team

WTB: 70 SS396 Canadian built car, 4-spd with ZL2 flapper hood, buckets. No rag tops,A/C or vinyl roof.
Old Jun 13th, 06, 8:14 PM
Tech Team

thanks for the info, the trans was just rebuilt locally, another question, should the trans go into gear without engine running? if so mine is not, thanks mike
Old Jun 13th, 06, 8:44 PM
Senior Tech Team
Bill

Send a message via AIM to MrBill66Malibu

Mike, Yes it should go into gear with out the engine running. Do you have gear lube in it? I would put some in and turn it by hand a few times and then try to shift the gears. Sometimes things get a little stuck just sitting around.

Bill
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Chevelle Tech > Mechanical > Transmission & Driveline      Current Topic: muncie shifter linkage adjustments
Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.