Volt Meter - Chevelle Tech
Chevelle Tech join team chevelle as a supporting member  
Chevelle Parts at SS396.com      
GROUND UP & SS396.com         
Official Sponsor of Team Chevelle

Auto Insurance

Chevelles.com is the premier Chevrolet Chevelle Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Chevelle Tech General Tech Area
Please try and post in specific forums

Old Jun 11th, 06, 2:27 PM
Senior Tech Team
wes

Default Volt Meter

Hi Team

How do I wire up a aftermarket volt meter?

thanks,
wes
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Jun 11th, 06, 2:42 PM
Senior Tech Team
Bill

Send a message via AIM to MrBill66Malibu
Default Re: Volt Meter

+ positive side to key on source and ground -. the back of gauge should have a + and - symbol
Old Jun 11th, 06, 3:06 PM
Senior Tech Team
Allen Carson

Smile Re: Volt Meter

Good Choice over the AMP. METER....VOLT Meters are easy to install unlike AMP. METERS that have burned many a vehicle under the dash.
Old Jun 11th, 06, 10:12 PM
Tech Team

You should have a "ACC" terminal on your fuse panel..... connect the + wire of the gauge to it and ground the - wire to the dash.

I agree, volt meters are the way to go.

* 1968 Chevelle SS - L72 427-4 speed
* 1959 Impala __ 2dr coupe - 383 Stroker-TH400
* 1955 Belair __ 2dr coupe - 283 alum. PG
Old Jun 12th, 06, 9:37 AM
Team Member

Have an original ammeter on a 66 with the optional guage package. It works, so it's possible that the ammeter could start a fire. How does this work? Plan to put an oil/tem/volt guage package even though all the original guagues seen to work fine. So sould I unhook the ammeter or are there precaustions I should take? Thanks
Old Jun 12th, 06, 2:37 PM
Lifetime Premium Member

Amp meters are connected in SERIES with supply and indicates an increase or decrease of current (charge or drain) in the circuit. Therefore it can allow a significant amount of current to flow thru the wire if it's shorted. (read as potential for FIRE) However, FACTORY wired ampmeters rarely cause problems. Their circuits are designed to be well insulated and properly routed.

Volt meters are in PARALLEL to the supply and indicate amount of voltage present at the connecting point. Requires very little current to operate and can quick-fused to prevent heating the wiring if shorted.

Us old timers are used to ampmeters and some prefer them. They do give an actual status of the supply circuit and the alternator (gernerators in the old days). Obviously, if the current meter (ampmeter) indicates a constant negative flow of current, things won't go well for very long.

Voltmeters are a relatively recent addition to cars. They are cheaper to incorporate, easy to fuse for safety and easier for the average person with little to no electrical knowledge to understand. A volt meter can also indicate that the alternator is not funtioning or putting out 13.9 to 14.3 (nominal) voltage. If it is only showing 12 volts or less when the engine is running, it too is a good indicator that something is amiss in the charging circuit and you will be walking soon. An HEI distributors like to see a solid 12 volts at all times, not 11 or 10. However, a bad battery can still show 12 volts on a voltmeter in an unloaded condition.

Both gauges can co-exist and function just fine. No need to remove or disconnect either if they are wired and funtioning correctly. However, if their function and indications aren't clearly understood, you're better off with an idiot light. That's why they were invented. No offense intended to anyone, just MHO. My wife's Jeep has gauges. She has no clue how to interpret them for a potential problem and doesn't want to learn. But if a bright RED light comes on, she know's she has a problem. (either in the car or from the cop behind her ;-))

/h
M20/3.73 Eaton posi
http://www.chevelles.com/showroom/data/500/medium/Ext08.JPG
Old Jun 12th, 06, 7:00 PM
Team Member

Thanks for the information Herb. All original wiring with the 66 guage package that included the ammeter and it seems to work fine as far as indicating a charge or draw. Have deceided to carry an fire extingisher also, just in case. So think I go ahead and add the 3 guage set-up and keep the original guages operating also.
Old Jun 13th, 06, 10:29 AM
Lifetime Premium Member

Sounds like all good decisions Jim. Don't worry about a fire from the original amp gauge wiring. It's just not a major issue. If it were, there wouldn't be any original cars around after 30+ yrs with original amp gauges. Just be careful when monkeying around under the dash not to short anything. Like I said earlier, us old farts are used to them and I've never seen a fire caused by an amp gauge. Not saying there haven't EVER been any, but I know of none.
M20/3.73 Eaton posi
Old Jun 13th, 06, 9:49 PM
Senior Tech Team
wes

I took a second look at my gauge and it is a ammeter, should I get a voltometer instead?

thanks,
wes
Old Jun 14th, 06, 11:05 AM
Tech Team

YES........ I would. easy to hook up and safer.

* 1968 Chevelle SS - L72 427-4 speed
* 1959 Impala __ 2dr coupe - 383 Stroker-TH400
* 1955 Belair __ 2dr coupe - 283 alum. PG
Old Jun 14th, 06, 11:21 AM
Super Mod
Rich

Volt meter = easier to hook up, not as useful
Amp meter = requires more care when installing, more useful readout

I've always prefered amp meters since I can tell at a glance if the electrical system is working properly or not. Heck, my old pickup has a factory amp meter AND an aftermarket amp meter and I haven't burned it down yet. The factory gauge has unhacked factory wiring and the aftermarket gauge was wired carefully with large gauge dedicated wiring.

I've never had a problem with any of the amp gauges in any of my vehicles. I find the volt meter in my daily driver only moderately useful since it is difficult to tell if it is reading at, above or below 12 volts. I rarely even look at it. If it wasn't for the additional warning light in the daily driver I'd never really know when the electrical system is experiencing a problem. However in my truck or Chevelle, I often consult the amp meter to see how things are doing and know what I need to know at a very quick glance.
NCOA member #220
ACES member #1670
Team Chevelle #998
1965 Malibu SS L79 Restoration Page
1965 Two-Door Wagon Project Progress Page
2006 Pontiac GTO Preservation Project
Rich Cummings
Old Jun 14th, 06, 12:12 PM
Lifetime Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 67Chevelleguy
I took a second look at my gauge and it is a ammeter, should I get a voltometer instead?

thanks,
wes
I wouldn't. Just make sure it's wired correctly and use it. Like I said, I've never even heard of a car fire that could be attributed to an amp meter that was wired correctly. In the 60's, there were a lot of teenagers wrenching on these cas (I was one) and even they didn't burn them up with amp meters.
M20/3.73 Eaton posi
Old Jun 14th, 06, 1:04 PM
Super Mod
Rich

If you want to use an amp meter, simply wire it per the instructions (they are usually VERY specific and most often make specific since different cars accomplish their power systems in different manners), use large gauge dedicated wiring and route that wiring in such a way as to protect it. Be sure to use rubber grommets where the wires pass through the firewall and zip tie the wires securely to the body structure and/or other wiring harnesses to keep it out of harm's way. Make sure the connections at the gauge are secure and well separated from each other and from any metal body structure and other wiring terminals.

Of course these tips apply to ANY automotive wiring project...
NCOA member #220
ACES member #1670
Team Chevelle #998
1965 Malibu SS L79 Restoration Page
1965 Two-Door Wagon Project Progress Page
2006 Pontiac GTO Preservation Project
Rich Cummings
Old Jun 14th, 06, 2:07 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Greg

Send a message via AIM to undee70ss

I would use a voltmeter, see reasons here.

http://www.autometer.com/tech_faq_an...px?sid=1&qid=5

MY 70SS
Old Jun 14th, 06, 4:42 PM
Tech Team
Joe

Send a message via ICQ to ChicagoChevelle68

I have a amp meter installed on the '68, and early on I did have an incident where the leads behind the gauge touched. Plenty of sparks and smoke!

Towed the car home and easily replaced the wires. But it was my fault for not securing the wires properly. That was 10 years ago, and I'm still using the same Amp meter, checking the connections from time to time, but quite satisfied with it's accurate readings and health of the battery/charging relationship.

The caviat with the amp meters is what everybody else is stating....Make sure all is tight, insulated and safe.

Administrator
The Chicago Astronomer
Telescope/Observatory Operator
Adler Planetarium & Astronomy Museum
-------------------------
Any car past 1972 is just simply transportation.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Chevelle Tech > Information Exchange > Chevelle Tech      Current Topic: Volt Meter
Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.