Electrical fan or not? - Chevelle Tech
Chevelle Tech join team chevelle as a supporting member  
Chevelle Parts at SS396.com      
GROUND UP & SS396.com         
Official Sponsor of Team Chevelle

Auto Insurance

Chevelles.com is the premier Chevrolet Chevelle Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Performance Our High Performance area

Old May 24th, 06, 6:05 PM
Tech Team

Default Electrical fan or not?

Well, as I said in an earlier post I finally got my BBC 489 this Sunday. My next dilemma is what type of fan to use. Electric or mechanical. I have about 3.5 inches between the very end of my water pump pulley and the radiator, so I am space limited. I really want to run a puller type fan and have found an electric and mechanical fan that will fit. Can anyone explain the benefits of both and which I would be better off with. I'm running an AFCO aluminum radiator and I do live in Florida, so it gets pretty hot down here at times. Any recommendations are appreciated. Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old May 24th, 06, 6:14 PM
Tech Team
Dave

Send a message via AIM to Davec43 Send a message via Yahoo to Davec43
Default Re: Electrical fan or not?

What year chevelle is it? Short/long waterpump? In my 66 I had limited space as well and couldn't get any puller type fans that put out enough cfm to keep it cool where I wanted so ended up going back to flex fan and shroud.
Old May 24th, 06, 6:49 PM
Tech Team

Send a message via Yahoo to pavo

I have a small block and have a Mark VIII fan on it-sucker pulls like crazy. A buddy of mine did put one in his big block chevelle, though....
Old May 24th, 06, 6:53 PM
Tech Team
Dave

Send a message via AIM to Davec43 Send a message via Yahoo to Davec43

Yeah the mark VIII fan is awesome but its a lot thicker then 3.5 inches. Check out alumitechs website they have some good set ups. If you can't fit anything similar to that I'd just stick with a flex fan and shroud.
Old May 24th, 06, 7:52 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Green Weenie

Send a message via Yahoo to Bob West

I'd use a good ole clutch fan, fluid not thermal, releases above certain rpms, not temp. I'm using one with my AFCO alum. radiator and no shroud, it doesnt get hot and I don't have to worry about running the battery down. I don't see any real advantage of running an electric fan unless you're using an electric water pump too, otherwise leaving the fan on just cools the radiator, not the water in the block. Or you could get a Moroso water pump drive, runs fan and waterpump, as long as you don't forget it and let it run the battery down.
Old May 24th, 06, 8:41 PM
Tech Team

Thanks guys. This is going into a 68 camaro. This is the best info site I know, thats why I always post here! Bob, how would an electric fan just cool the radiator with the engine off? If it was a puller, I think it would still blow air on the motor right? I think I'm going to have to go with whatever fits the best. How much airflow (I saw a 16" flex-lite electric fan that claims around 2300 cfm) do you think would be adequate for my build? 489 10.5-1 comp, about 600 hp/ 600 ft lbs? How wide from front to back are the clutch fans? Again I only have 3.5 inches. I guess I could always go with a pusher fan, but I've read that pullers are better. I was interested in the electrics mainly because they say that they blow more air at idle because a belt driven fan will slow down as the car idles because it is belt driven, therefore rpm dependent. Please keep all opinions coming. Thanks!
Old May 24th, 06, 8:43 PM
Senior Tech Team

Bob is right. The fan will cool the water in the radiator only. There will be a small amount of engine cooling due to airflow, but the main cooling is done in the radiator.

http://s30.photobucket.com/albums/c3...t=DSC01615.jpg
Best pass so far 9.039 at 148.10, 1.266 60'
Old May 24th, 06, 8:46 PM
Tech Team

I still don't quite understand this. If the fan is behind the radiator and blowing air towards the engine (puller type), how is this mainly cooling the radiator that has no air being blown on it? Is it because the fan is sucking air through the radiator that gets blown on the engine? I would like to use a regular fan if I can fit one, I'm not crazy about MORE electrical connections, plus these fans are more affordable. How important is it to use a shroud. I don't know if i have enough room for one. Also it is an aftermarket AFCO radiator.
Old May 24th, 06, 8:58 PM
Senior Tech Team

You are right, it's airflow. It doesn't matter if it is being blown on the radiator or pulled through it, it's still cooling.

http://s30.photobucket.com/albums/c3...t=DSC01615.jpg
Best pass so far 9.039 at 148.10, 1.266 60'
Old May 24th, 06, 9:50 PM
Tech Team

I think the shroud comes into play at low speed or idle as there is little or no air coming through the radiator on it's own. The shroud allows the fan to suck all available air throught the radiator core to keep the coolant temperature within bounds. You could probably get away without a shroud out on the highway at 60 mph, but as soon as you slowed down to 25 mph or stopped in traffic I would bet that the temperature gauge would slowly start to climb. So to answer your question if at all possible I would run a shroud of some kind. Just my two cents.

"69" Chevelle Malibu coupe 350, 4 speed ,3:55 posi-trac, and some performance enhancements. Dad's mid-life toy !
Old May 24th, 06, 11:02 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Tom

Dont use a flex fan or it will overheat,they are junk.If you can fit it go with a clutch type and put a pusher in front of the radiator and run it to a switch in case the temp starts to creep up on hot days you can turn it on manually.
Old May 25th, 06, 12:19 AM
Lifetime Premium Member
Chris

Send a message via AIM to Motorhead62
Talking Re: Electrical fan or not?

A big 18 -19" clutch or flex fan will work, however, a dual 11" or 12" or even 13.5" fan will really cool that big motor. You have to set up and run a good alternator with electric fans. My big block runs 170 degress at idle when it is 100 in the shade. I am running a Be Cool radiator, dual 11" electric fans and a Stewart Components water pump. I love it and nothing else ever cooled my Chevelle as good and I have tried many configurations. I am also running a 160 amp 1-wire alternator.

Good Luck!
2008 Harley Davidson Dyna Low Rider (Stress Buster)
2003 Harley Davidson Road King Classic 100th Anniversary Edition (Cruiser)
2013 Chevy Cruze RS Turbo (Daily Driver)

My Chevelle: http://www.chevelles.com/feature/nov98.html

C & D Performance

North Texas Chevelles
Old May 25th, 06, 1:54 AM
Tech Team

Motorhead,
Yeah I was looking at the dual elec fans. I have a Power Master 140 amp one wire alternator, so I think that would be ok. What brand of dual electric fans are you using and do you have them on all the time or hooked to a temp sensor?
Old May 25th, 06, 2:20 AM
Lifetime Premium Member
P evaD

I've got a 468, 10 1/2:1 compression, with a Becool dual fan unit. I've yet to be able to overheat the motor at an idle. Comes on at 210, shuts off at 195. In my opinion, the best way to go for a street car.
Leading by example.
Curing cancer, one body panel at a time.
My Chevelle
now
Before
Motorvation
Resurection home page
Old May 25th, 06, 2:25 AM
Lifetime Premium Member
P evaD

Here's a pic of my set-up.
Leading by example.
Curing cancer, one body panel at a time.
My Chevelle
now
Before
Motorvation
Resurection home page

Last edited by Dave; Jul 24th, 06 at 11:05 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Chevelle Tech > General Tech Area > Performance      Current Topic: Electrical fan or not?
Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.