Chevy 454 Big Block - Chevelle Tech
Chevelle Tech join team chevelle as a supporting member  
Chevelle Parts at SS396.com      
GROUND UP & SS396.com         
Official Sponsor of Team Chevelle

Auto Insurance

Chevelles.com is the premier Chevrolet Chevelle Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Engine AdvertisementGeneral Engine Discussion.

Old May 23rd, 06, 12:43 AM
Tech Team
George

Default Chevy 454 Big Block

Please tell me if it is a good idea to overhaul a 454 that originally came out of a truck and put into a 70 Chevelle?? I'm making a SS 454 clone. Would I get some good power from it? What set up would work best for a weekend driver sometimes drag strip car???

I plan on boring it out 30 over and putting a steel crank, anything I should know about pros and cons??

Any help would be great.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old May 23rd, 06, 4:23 AM
Tech Team

Send a message via AIM to 71nomad
Default Re: Chevy 454 Big Block

im also building a 454 engine in my 71. im pretty sure truck blocks are taller so you may have some clearence issues. im using a popular 454 car engine casting # 361959 production years 73-90 a car style oil pan and a non raised intake. 454's can produce a lot of power with the right parts. .030 bore is a good bore to start, because you will have plenty of room to bore it again if you want. 454's can be bored to .110 over, i belive. a good bore, a good set of OVAL PORT cylinder heads with a valve job. roller rockers, 3/8 push rods, a nice forged steel crank, dome style pistons with strong steel rods. a good cam shaft to match your compresstion which should be close to 10:1 by now, with the above parts. a nice big block high flow intake. with a high flow holley carbto match. and a quality ignition system with probally get you over 500hp and around the same amount of torque. im doing pretty much the same thing to my 454 and im estimationg around 530whp. i'll probally be contradicted after this post but im planning all this for me. this is my first engine build and im not fimiliar with the process and the product yet so i do welcome it. hope i helped.
Old May 23rd, 06, 5:25 AM
Senior Tech Team

Post the casting number off of the driver's side ledge on the back of the block - that'll help identify it as either a tall deck (a.k.a. pain in the butt) or passenger car block. Unless it came out of a big truck or bus, it's probably a standard deck height block. I've pulled quite a few out of pickups and 1-ton trucks and they've all been standard deck blocks.

'Cause if they catch you in the back seat trying to pick her locks,
They're gonna send you back to mother in a cardboard box...
You better run!
Old May 23rd, 06, 6:39 AM
Tech Team

I thought the tall deck blocks were only 366 and 427 truck motors. I don't think the 454 ever came as a tall block.
Old May 23rd, 06, 6:44 AM
Lifetime Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hal_396
I thought the tall deck blocks were only 366 and 427 truck motors. I don't think the 454 ever came as a tall block.
that is absolutley correct.
No such thing as a tall deck truck 454
Old May 23rd, 06, 7:00 AM
Senior Tech Team
Chris

71nomad, whats ur parts list in which u expect to get 530 rwhp from?
Old May 23rd, 06, 8:16 AM
Tech Team

781 heads 2.19 1.88 valve job, .030 bore with dome pistons, 10.5:1 compresstion 282 cam shaft with 3/8 rods with an edelbrock air gap intake and a 750cfm dp holley carb. with i guess some tweaks hear and there for a little more power. do you think i can get that with all these things or maybe a little extra stuff on it or other part combinations "SS454"?
Old May 23rd, 06, 8:27 AM
Tech Team

IMHO for that kind of HP at the rear wheels with that setup that thinking might be a little ambitious. I have a similar setup excluding your over 10 to 1 compression (mine is 9.5 to 1) with same heads and valves. I'm running a fairly agressive street 268 voodoo cam and although I have not dyno'd it. Software dyno places my setup at around 475-490 hp on just motor. I'm hopefull for around 350 or so at the rear wheels HO wise. However, either way, you should have a real torque monster running those ovals!
Old May 23rd, 06, 8:54 AM
Senior Tech Team
Chris

71nomad, for sure you wont get 530 rwhp with that combo. 530 rwhp is like 675 hp at the crank, and you need a very stout 454 to get 675 hp N/A. Sounds like a nice reliable engine that should make very strong power over the entire torque curve. I think jmeek66's post says it correctly. I think you may want to drop the compression down to about 10:1 tops though. 10.5 with iron heads and a 282 cam might see some detonation on pump gas. If its primarily a street engine, i think building it to run on pump gas all day, even in hot weather, with optimal timing is a better approach.
Old May 23rd, 06, 12:47 PM
Tech Team
George

Thanks for all the help. I'll post the engine code when I get back to my brother's house. We are doing it at his house.

I plan on ONLY running regular gas on this car. I'm not planning to run any kind of special fuel.

One more question. Would it be a good engine to rebuild if it was a 2 bolt main as apposed to a 4 bolt main??
Old May 23rd, 06, 1:04 PM
Senior Tech Team

2 vs 4 bolts - naturally aspirated, mind you - has more to do with RPMs than horsepower. 4-bolt caps help prevent cap walk and do make a stiffer bottom end for high winding engines than anything else. Most folks will tell you that there's only about 50 - 100 hp difference between capabilities of each. If you really need a 4-bolt block, drop the additional coin and get an aftermarket block. Then you can go bug$hit crazy with a build and not have to worry about it. Big stroke, big bore, big huffer, big shot - big-inch engines are where it's at, IMHO. Whether or not the block will hold up will be the least of your worries

'Cause if they catch you in the back seat trying to pick her locks,
They're gonna send you back to mother in a cardboard box...
You better run!
Old May 23rd, 06, 1:15 PM
Tech Team
George

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr 4 speed
that is absolutley correct.
No such thing as a tall deck truck 454

So then if it is not a tall deck engine, it should fit fine in a 70 chevelle?
Old May 23rd, 06, 4:36 PM
Tech Team

Yes, it will fit. If the 70 had an original 307 motor then you'll have to change the frame mounts I believe. If it had a 350 you should be OK.
Old May 23rd, 06, 4:54 PM
Tech Team

wow i didn't think that much power was lost between the crank and the rear wheels. im a little disappointed. because i thought i was going to get at least 450hp to the wheels. i know i was shooting a little high with 530hp. but that kind of sucks. anyway, thanks guys!

Last edited by 71nomad; May 23rd, 06 at 5:11 PM.
Old May 23rd, 06, 9:59 PM
Team Member
John

Spaceace, you're combo will make a ton of power, you wont be disappointed. Assuming you have a 'regular' 454, which it probably is, it will likely have large oval port heads, which are great to use. Look for head casting # ending in 781. But to get a decent compression ratio, you will need a domed piston. The rods and crank will likely be fine to use after reconditioning. You dont need a forged crank for what you're planning, and you dont need a 4 bolt block. A 2 bolt 454 block will support well over 600 HP, so dont sweat it. If it came out of truck, it just might be a 4 bolt, which would be nice, but not necessary.

71Nomad, dont lose sleep over the HP thing....it's the torque that you will feel, not the HP, and you will for sure have a smile on your face the first time you nail it. John

Johns Ride
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Chevelle Tech > Mechanical > Engine      Current Topic: Chevy 454 Big Block
Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.