1970 Fan blower switch - Chevelle Tech
Chevelle Tech join team chevelle as a supporting member  
Chevelle Parts at SS396.com      
GROUND UP & SS396.com         
Official Sponsor of Team Chevelle

Auto Insurance

Chevelles.com is the premier Chevrolet Chevelle Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Electrical & Wiring Troubleshooting electrical problems.

Old May 17th, 06, 11:32 PM
Tech Team

Default 1970 Fan blower switch

I've got a '70 Chevelle project car and when I bought it the fan did not work at all.I'm just about finished and going thru everything for inspection so I'm trying to get the fan to run.By process of elimination,I've run a hot wire to the fan and it works.I've got juice up to the fan switch.If I jump a wire to the other side of the plug in at the fan switch it will run on high only.This was a AC car so I know it has to have everything that it came with (resistors,relays,etc.which I don't have)for it to run on low and medium,but I would be perfectly happy to have high and off.My question is if I replace the switch,it should do this right?And where can I find a switch since Autozone,Napa,Advance,nobody has a listing for one.Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old May 18th, 06, 12:08 AM

Send a message via AIM to JayJ
Default Re: 1970 Fan blower switch

Buds1970, please keep us posted on this situation. I am trying to convert my A/C to heat only using the factory A/C controls and "non-air" blower resistor. I picked up the resistor for 9 bucks from my local classic Chevy store/shop.

However, I have not found much information on the wiring now that I have the resistor.

I have heard I should be able to get rid of the entire A/C harness inside the engine compartment and have a single wire running to the blower from the resistor?switch?

Let us know!
Old May 18th, 06, 10:00 PM

Have you tried True Connections?
http://www.true-connections.com/

Gold member #3
My 69 SS
My 70 Convertible
Mid America Chevelle Club

Last edited by Dean; Sep 19th, 06 at 11:05 AM.
Old May 19th, 06, 2:04 AM

Send a message via AIM to JayJ

Dean,

Any info on how to wire an air conditioned vehicle blower speed switch to a non-air resistor then to the blower motor so I get more than one speed?
Old May 19th, 06, 10:57 AM

I think you're going to need to put the original resister back into the air flow.
I'm sure there are other ways to make the motor operate a different speeds but probably more trouble than it's worth.

Gold member #3
My 69 SS
My 70 Convertible
Old May 19th, 06, 4:09 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Jay

I had no idea this was so complicated. I guess that explains why the 70 I just bought is missing the blower switch. It was an A/C car, but the compressor was taken out of it.

There's a switch on ebay. I considered buying it, but now I apparently have more to learn about the system first.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...RK%3AMEWA%3AIT

Jay
Old May 19th, 06, 5:19 PM
Senior Tech Team
DG

Send a message via Yahoo to DG

The switch is working if you get off, HIGH fan speed and nothing. The HIGH does not go thru the resistor pack. It connects the 12v right to the fan. You should be able to duplicate that. I know I can wiggle my switch and loose med and low speed. HIGH is alway there.

I got my switch from GM a couple years ago. I think the NOS parts are goen. Repops are available.

A used switch would be ok.
TEAM Chevelle Member #0086
eBay username:
dg98adams

Tri-State Chevelle
http://www.chevelles.net/tristate/
Old May 19th, 06, 9:29 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Doug

Quote:
Originally Posted by BUDS1970
I've got a '70 Chevelle project car and when I bought it the fan did not work at all.I'm just about finished and going thru everything for inspection so I'm trying to get the fan to run.By process of elimination,I've run a hot wire to the fan and it works.I've got juice up to the fan switch.If I jump a wire to the other side of the plug in at the fan switch it will run on high only.This was a AC car so I know it has to have everything that it came with (resistors,relays,etc.which I don't have)for it to run on low and medium,but I would be perfectly happy to have high and off.My question is if I replace the switch,it should do this right?And where can I find a switch since Autozone,Napa,Advance,nobody has a listing for one.Thanks.
For high speed, the switch operates a relay under the hood on the firewall that connects a 12V power supply to the blower motor.
TC#2270
ACES#6402
Chevelle Club of Michigan
my chevelle
Old May 19th, 06, 9:48 PM

It obviously works if jumpering/bypassing the bad switch make the motor run on high speed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BUDS1970
If I jump a wire to the other side of the plug in at the fan switch it will run on high only.

Gold member #3
My 69 SS
My 70 Convertible
Old May 21st, 06, 6:56 PM
Tech Team

I wired a toggle switch in between the brown hot wire and the orange wire going to the fan.I'm perfectly happy with off and high.I even mounted it in the same location as the original switch so it looks somewhat authentic.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Chevelle Tech > Mechanical > Electrical & Wiring      Current Topic: 1970 Fan blower switch
Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.