How Much Money Does OverHaulin Put Into All Their Cars? - Chevelle Tech
Chevelle Tech join team chevelle as a supporting member  
Chevelle Parts at SS396.com      
GROUND UP & SS396.com         
Official Sponsor of Team Chevelle

Auto Insurance

Chevelles.com is the premier Chevrolet Chevelle Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Bench Racing Stories, cruising and more.

Old Apr 20th, 06, 1:26 PM
Tech Team

Default How Much Money Does OverHaulin Put Into All Their Cars?

On average? It has to be alot. I've always wondered how much it all cost. Like the chevelles and the novas.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Apr 20th, 06, 1:39 PM
Senior Tech Team
-Allan-

Default Re: How Much Money Does OverHaulin Put Into All Their Cars?

I'm guessing a lot of stuff is donated and a tax writeoff for respective companies as advertisement.....

Old Apr 20th, 06, 2:36 PM
Senior Tech Team
DG

Send a message via Yahoo to DG

The show "Rags to Riches" keeps a rolling tab of the parts on the 1 month "For Auction Super Car". Usually 100+ hours into the body ($ way low - shoule be $100 pe hour, but it looks like $50 per) and easily $20-30K in parts (except for the Hemi junk motor that turned out to be a coffee table because of the cracks - that one cost tem big$) and $5k+ just on paint.

That show spends more time on the stupid auction than the building. The thing that gets me is the drama. You can maybe learn something during the tear down (some times). But I keep watching thhose kinds of shows, rather than American Idol
TEAM Chevelle Member #0086
eBay username:
dg98adams

Tri-State Chevelle
http://www.chevelles.net/tristate/
Old Apr 20th, 06, 3:03 PM
Senior Tech Team
-Allan-

Honestly, I don't watch any of those shows... If I'm flipping the channels I'll stop for a second or I'll switch to see what they started with and what they ended with. I find all those shows like Overhaulin, Am/HR, Build or Bust, OCC and so on to be complete a complete waste of my time to watch. I'd rather watch (as my wife calls is) "when weather attacks"..... I used to pretty much watch Speed 24/7 but since they've gone away from the "How to" shows to the dramaticized "Pimp my ride" and so on, I see no reason to watch except to watch a particular program.

Although a different format, Pinks is a complete joke....

Old Apr 20th, 06, 4:27 PM
Senior Tech Team
Dan the Man

Pinks needs some work but I kinda like it!
Old Apr 20th, 06, 5:47 PM
Senior Tech Team
Roland

Quote:
Originally Posted by DG
The show "Rags to Riches" keeps a rolling tab of the parts on the 1 month "For Auction Super Car".
First off, I like Overhaulin' and WRECKS to riches. HOWEVER- I have issues with Wrecks to Riches...FIRST AND FOREMOST- what is this business taking a LeMans and "creating" a GTO, then CALLING it a GTO throughout the ENTIRE SHOW? Sorry to burst your bubble BARRY, but thats a LeMANS with a GTO NOSE and always WILL BE. Same thing goes for the Satellite they did. Its NOT a Roadrunner, its A SATELLITE no matter how much you gussy it up. All someone would have to do with those cars is check the VINS, right? I personally think its BS and gives people the wrong ideas. You can't MAKE a Lemans A GTO, only Pontiac did that. Can you make a GTO clone? Sure. But call it a clone if thats what you did; not a "SUPER DUPER CALIFRAGILISTIC MUSCLE CAR" ..

Also what is with this Ardell guy on that show? He bids on practically every single car from that show?! Does he actually own these cars, or is he BID RIGGING for Barry?

Overhaulin' is fun, but I actually DO like Wrecks to Riches better, because the pranks on OH get old, IMHO.

-Ayn Rand
Old Apr 20th, 06, 5:59 PM
Team Member
John

That's always been on of my pet peeves, especially with magazines.

Close the show/article with a complete listing of what the "stuff" you "went and picked up", or "Was just dropped off", etc., and what it COSTS!!

Even IF it was donated - state it's value! "Joe 6-pack" isn't going to get it for free... he has to PAY for it!

"Think you used enough dynamite there Butch??"
Old Apr 20th, 06, 6:42 PM
Gold Founding Member
Patrick

Here is info on Ardell Brown http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&l...s+&btnG=Search
New Heart Transplant
Old Apr 20th, 06, 8:05 PM
Banned
Carl

I don't think much money comes out of pocket at all.

Most of the parts are donated to the show in the form of sponsorship, and the labor is mostly donated.
About the only thing that costs is Chip's time and possibly paint.

I know while I was watching one night the guy that does all the pranks was saying how the motor tranny, etc were all gifts or donations from and would say like tci transmissions, motor from gm crate etc.

I think that is why they are still on.
Old Apr 20th, 06, 11:19 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Wally

Send a message via Yahoo to chevelledude71

I'm sure all the shows are using donated parts. Why else would a show be put on TV, the producers aren't going to use their own money for someone elses benefit. Plus, everytime they put a part in front of the camera it's mentioned or a sign is hanging in the background. The Barry White show is funny and they at least show it being sold at the auction. He's doing what alot of us would do if we had the means and didn't really have a care what happens to the cars that are built and sold.
Old Apr 21st, 06, 1:20 AM
Senior Tech Team

i watched wrecks to riches one time. they took the owners daughter's '69 plain jane malibu....remember that one? they made a nice car with a 502, top notch stuff. i mean the car turned out real nice. but they claimed they only had $30K in it finished. they must have had 15K in the driveline alone. they apparently don't count any labor in the final cost because they had a crew of guys working on the car for a month. that alone would be 12-15K in labor for say 5 guys for a month.
and the car sold for $60,000. i got some cars i'd like to sell the guy who bought it....
Old Apr 21st, 06, 4:03 AM
Lifetime Premium Member

I saw an episode on that wrecks/riches show tonight with the 71 LEMANS. I find it hard to believe that it is that hard to find a GTO Endura front bumper. Arent those a commonly reproduced part? Im not sure. But my pet pieve with this show is like that barret-jackson show that was on speed. Lets find an old car and restore it just to make a buck. I just feel this is not what the old car hobby is about and completely aids in what is making this hobby of ours to expensive and ruining it for the true enthusiasts. Just invites more and more investors into a hobby to add to thier portfolio.

I actually caught the end of the 69 Camaro episode and was hoping the bids would not meet the reserve and found myself hoping again for the same thing tonight. I guess im just a little sinister like that when it comes to these shows.

When the Boogeyman goes to bed, he checks the closet for Chuck Norris.

If it aint broke, just give me a minute.
Old Apr 21st, 06, 5:04 AM
Banned
Carl

oh yeah, you have to pay all the taxes on the stuff they put in your ride as well
Old Apr 21st, 06, 3:55 PM

its a form of advertisment so its all tax right off
Old Apr 21st, 06, 4:03 PM
Senior Tech Team
Dan the Man

I have issues with the Wrecks to Riches show also, although I've watched it a few times and will probably continue.

They do turn out nice. I liked the "GTO" a lot.

My brother has an Endura bumper kicking around, too bad he missed his chance to make some $$$

I do like to think that everyone who builds a nice car does it purely for the joy of it, and loves every car they touch at least a little. Deep down I know that isn't true, of course. Probably he does get joy out of it, that is how he got started after all, but the whole fix-it-to-flip-it mentality, well, dimishes it somehow.

Hope they don't drive the prices up higher than they already are!
Advertisement

Chevelle Tech > Information Exchange > Bench Racing      Current Topic: How Much Money Does OverHaulin Put Into All Their Cars?
Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.