Pop's back through carb, RH bank - Chevelle Tech
Chevelle Tech join team chevelle as a supporting member  
Chevelle Parts at SS396.com      
GROUND UP & SS396.com         
Official Sponsor of Team Chevelle

Auto Insurance

Chevelles.com is the premier Chevrolet Chevelle Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Troubleshooting Diagnosing problems done here.

Old Apr 10th, 06, 9:29 AM

Default Pop's back through carb, RH bank

Hello All!
I have a 72 Grumman RV w/454 BB, purchased 3 years back has been running great However, i noticed at times it would POP back through carb. After some checks, vac/intake leaks, new bosch plat plugs, excel wires & dist.
I removed 750 cfm carb & replaced gaskets to be certain I had no leaks & noticed the rear barrel on RH side had a decent amount of black residue, the others had none.
I now am wondering if the issue is in the valve train of the RH bank?

Any suggestions or does this sound plausible?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Apr 10th, 06, 10:08 AM
Team Member

Smile Re: Pop's back through carb, RH bank

If its a steady poping sound(esp when under a load like wheen accelorating) it could be a cam lobe/s going flat.

When a cam goes bad you will get a poping sound through the intake and there were plenty of bad cams in SBC & BBC in the early 70's to go around. I know this 1st hand from working on cars & replacing many bad cams in BBC & SBC over the past 35 yrs. This is esp true when the motor runs hot like pulling a heavy camper in your case and where the engine compartment is tight & hotter than you would find in std car engine compartment.

The best way to check for a bad cam is to warm the motor up,pull the valve covers,and start it up to see if all the rockers/valves are going up/down approx the same amount.

Note:take some small pieces of AL foil and press/form them over the upper ends of the rockers to keep oil from squirting out of the rockers making a mess.

If they are great,if any are not traveling the same distance a cam lobe or lobes is going flat or has gone completely flat.

In that case you would need a new cam lifters.

If you need a new cam send me your email address through T/C and i send you some good info on proceedures to follow to help avoid wiping out a new cam durring breakin which i see hapening from time to time here on T/C.

FYI,a compression test will not always show a worn cam because it depends on if the lobe is completly gone and if its the intake or exhaust lobe thats bad so keep that in mind.

Let us know how you make out.

Scott
1969 CHEVELLE SS396,ORIGINAL #'S MATCH,GOT IN 1978,(In 2001 rblt/bored original 396 .030 to 402)/M20/12BOLT/3:31'S
2006 YAMAHA 1700 ROADSTAR SILVERADO (1 owner ,GOT in 2009,4,700 miles/WK end fun)
1977 KAWASAKI KZ1000 (AM ORIGINAL OWNER ,GOT IN 1977,NOW has 29k miles/WK end fun)
2002 MAXIMA (DAILY DRIVER/1 owner,GOT 3/2013 w-44k miles)

Last edited by SWHEATON; Apr 10th, 06 at 10:26 AM.
Old Apr 10th, 06, 12:44 PM

Thanks Scott-
I was going to remove valve cover this evening & check springs. That should be an easy check while I'm there.
Old Apr 10th, 06, 8:42 PM

Cured: #2 intake rocker retaining nut had backed off.

I enjoyed reading all the other posts, I like the site!
Old Apr 11th, 06, 9:34 AM
Team Member

Default Re: Pop's back through carb, RH bank

Well the rocker stud backing off is nice problem to find,easy to fix and costs nothing,you lucked out.

Scott
1969 CHEVELLE SS396,ORIGINAL #'S MATCH,GOT IN 1978,(In 2001 rblt/bored original 396 .030 to 402)/M20/12BOLT/3:31'S
2006 YAMAHA 1700 ROADSTAR SILVERADO (1 owner ,GOT in 2009,4,700 miles/WK end fun)
1977 KAWASAKI KZ1000 (AM ORIGINAL OWNER ,GOT IN 1977,NOW has 29k miles/WK end fun)
2002 MAXIMA (DAILY DRIVER/1 owner,GOT 3/2013 w-44k miles)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Chevelle Tech > Mechanical > Troubleshooting      Current Topic: Pop's back through carb, RH bank
Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.