Big Block Chevy Square Port Or Oval Port - Chevelle Tech
Chevelle Tech join team chevelle as a supporting member  
Chevelle Parts at SS396.com      
GROUND UP & SS396.com         
Official Sponsor of Team Chevelle

Auto Insurance

Chevelles.com is the premier Chevrolet Chevelle Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Performance Our High Performance area

Old Mar 28th, 06, 10:05 PM

Question Big Block Chevy Square Port Or Oval Port

I Would Like To Know Out There On Some Ones Experience From Going From A Oval Port Head To A Square Port Head Lets Say You Were Running A Gear Ratio 3:73 Or 4:11 Big Block Car-what Horsepower Gains Did You Have And Also Was The Car Quit A Bit Less Street Friendly?? Also The Advantages You Found Going From A Ported Oval Port Cast Head To A Aluminum Square Port Head This Is All For Running A 496ci Or Less Cubic Inch Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Mar 28th, 06, 10:12 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Scott

Default Re: Big Block Chevy Square Port Or Oval Port

Plane and simply the rec. port heads flow a lot more air. More air = more power. You could see 20 to 30% more hp with everything else the same
TC #3238
ACES #7490
My Site
The Rebuild

To secure these rights, Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed, That whenever any Form of Government becomes destructive of these ends, it is the Right of the People to alter or to abolish it, and to institute new Government
The Declaration of Independence
Old Mar 28th, 06, 10:14 PM
Tech Team

Smile Re: Big Block Chevy Square Port Or Oval Port

Quote:
Originally Posted by oddities
I Would Like To Know Out There On Some Ones Experience From Going From A Oval Port Head To A Square Port Head Lets Say You Were Running A Gear Ratio 3:73 Or 4:11 Big Block Car-what Horsepower Gains Did You Have And Also Was The Car Quit A Bit Less Street Friendly?? Also The Advantages You Found Going From A Ported Oval Port Cast Head To A Aluminum Square Port Head This Is All For Running A 496ci Or Less Cubic Inch Thanks
How many r.p.m's do you turn the engine?How do you use the car?
Old Mar 28th, 06, 10:28 PM
Gold Member
Gene

"I Would Like To Know Out There On Some Ones Experience From Going From A Oval Port Head To A Square Port Head "

Yeah, me too. Just the facts, jack.
ACES 3112/Team Chevelle Gold #62
Be big, be a 'builder'!
Old Mar 28th, 06, 10:50 PM
Senior Tech Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by furball8994
Plane and simply the rec. port heads flow a lot more air. More air = more power. You could see 20 to 30% more hp with everything else the same
That's REALLY NOT a true statement. You asked for firsthand information, so here's mine. First a little background background: I have over 20 big block chevy cars, most with SHP options (high horse, high compression, solid lifter, rect ports). In addition to the 2 LS6 cars these include a factory L88 Corvette, several 427/435's in both alum and cast iron heads, and a Camaro with an LS7 crate motor (12:1 454, open chamber ZL1/second design L88 camshaft) There's also a 70 LS5 Corvette (oval port 10.25:1, hyd camshaft) and an L78 Nova (body now gone) 396/375 with rect. port.

What I HAVE NOT done is compare anything in the above list to the same engine with oval ports, BUT............ the LS5 Corvette with it's oval port heads is a torque monster, and Chevy actually published higher ratings on it torque wise 500 Ft/lbs than the other SHP big block Corvettes. From a roll in first gear it smokes the other cars in the barn, probably for several hundred feet or more. Also, I bought a 71 LS 5 (lower compression from the 70) several years back that somebody had stuck a set of rect. port heads on, and upgraded the camshaft. It had Hooker sidepipe headers on it. The guy had some time slips in the pocket on the dash where the car had run several times at the drag strip. I think they were like 13.60's if I remember, and fairly consistent over a period of multiple dates. I was gonna sell the car and wanted the open chamber rect. port heads for one of my hot roddy projects at the time, so I though it'd be a good thing to swap a set of oval ports. Long story short, made the swap, previous owner ended up with the car back about 6 mos. later and called and wanted to know what we'd done to it. He said it picked up a tenth and a half to two on a good day.

In another case, I've got a boat with 540 Big Block Chevy/Mercruiser. It's 9.5:1 with a BIG Crane camshaft. Boats of this type generally operate in relatively flat RPM ranges for extended distances and are pitched (geared) to max at 5K to 5500 for that reason. In a pinch once I replaced the open chamber square port heads with a set of open chamber oval ports. (remember now 540 inches and geared to need max torque in the mid 5's, where you'd think the rect. ports would be in the fat part of their band) The boat lost 1 MPH on top, but gained tremendous bottom and midrange, and I ended up leaving them on it until I built another motor several years later with more compression. The engine guy who builds a lot of Super Stock motors has said repeatedly that for anything under 600 horsepower and 550 inches that he can make more power with the oval ports than rectangular.

The reality is, properly designed ports increase velocity, and THAT is where horsepower is, and bigger isn't better in all cases, especially on smaller engines. I doubt seriously that there's an L78 (396/375) around that wouldn't benefit from a change to a good set of oval ports. Even many of Chevy's crate motors of medium displacement use the smaller ports, such as the ZZ502 crate motor, which has CONSIDERABLY smaller ports in the alum. heads than the old rect. port design. The Boss 302 Mustang and Boss 429 Mustang were both pigs off the showroom floor, mostly because of the huge intake ports mismatched to the other components.
Old Mar 28th, 06, 10:51 PM
Senior Tech Team

On a 502 with a 255/264 solid roller, changing the heads from 2.19 Holley oval ports (270 or so runners) to 2.25 310 Canfields gained about 30 HP with no change in peak torque basically. Peak HP changed from 620 to 650. HP dropped of after 6500 with the ovals a lot quicker.

If the ovals had 2.25's and bowls opened I'd expect the difference to be less yet.

Single plane intakes to match the port.

That is a fact .
9.51@143.8
Old Mar 28th, 06, 11:16 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Green Weenie

Send a message via Yahoo to Bob West

Quote:
Originally Posted by furball8994
I don't think so, you're saying my 505 that makes around 600hp is going to jump to 720-780hp with just a swap to rectal port heads?, I think thats a stretch. I could see it with more cam,more compression, and an aftermarket head like AFR or Brodix or Dart might get the job done. Just bolting them on my motor, 20-30% isnt going to happen. You have to be able to use that air, at 6500+ rpms. I shift at 6k, oval ports get the job done, and we'll soon find out what the shiny oval ports will do.
Old Mar 28th, 06, 11:47 PM
Senior Tech Team
JIM

I did some testing on a 427 in a 3600 lb race weight '68 SS/RS Camaro. It ran 11.70's@118 at the time with pocket ported "semi-open" chamber heads, 2.06/1.72 valves, a solid flat tappet, 9.8 compression. It used 4.10 gears and both an automatic and a four speed.

I later installed some closed chamber rectangular ports with a little pocket work. Same cam, ended up at about 10.2 compression, tried several intakes. Basically made a pig out of it. It was a lot of fun with the 4 speed, but you had to shift in the 7400 rpm range to make it really run. I ended up installing 4.56 gears and when it was all done it ran 11.60's! The ovals could shift at 6200-6400 and never have an issue.

Later over the years it tried open chamber ovals as well as rectangulars. Same shortblock. Ovals were always better.

Later same shortblock was installed in my '67 Vette. I used a real nice set of Merlin ovals (ported) a Comp 288 Street roller and it ran 11.20's@123 in pure street trim with 3.36's and a 5 speed.

My general take on it is that 396's and 427 are almost always better off with ovals unless you REALLY want to spin it. With rectangular ports I knew I had better not get caught on the street in the wrong gear...cause the sucker was a slug until you passed 5500 rpm!

Once you hit 454's, I think ovals are generally better.but if you have a cam that will rev and you like to really get it, rectangulars might be good along with compression.

A 496/502 is getting into smaller rectangular port area. But a nicely ported set of ovals will pull hard to 6500 rpm or so.

I think 540's need to be in the rectangular ports. There is no lack of TQ and the trick is to feed them as RPM goes past 5500-6000 rpm. It takes some volume to do that.

Then there are the 572/598/632 guys,...definitely need some heads.....I think GM is a little small on their crate motor.

Heads are where the power is. I'd spend money on good heads before I'd buy a crazy cam setup. A set of medium sized AFR 335's, Dart 335's or Brodix M2's would do great on a 496.

I saw a buddy make 660 Hp with a set of very lightly ported Merlin iron ovals on a pump gas 496 and a solid flat tappet. Sweet little truck engine!

Gearing will be important. 3.73's will likely be plenty N/A with a 496..but you could sneak out to 4.10's with a tall tire if you can rev into the 6500 range.

JIM
Old Mar 29th, 06, 12:06 AM
Tech Team

My engine builder (1000+ HP motors for offshore racing) told me to stick with the oval for the street. They will make gobs of torque and HP on the bottom and middle and still hold steady on the top.

1972 Chevelle - Blaze Orange
468 inches Q-Jet '68 Factory Intake '781's
TH350
308 10-Bolt (open)
265/50 15
Old Mar 29th, 06, 1:17 AM
Tech Team
John

Here we go again .
'70 Malibu, 454 w/Brodix Ovals, TH400 w/10" ATI, 12 bolt with 4:11's
'98 Camaro, M6, LS6 Intake, MTI lid, TB bypass, Ported Maf & TB, Pacesetter Headers, Catted Y, Texas Rumbler Catback, B&M shifter, FRA, !EGR
Old Mar 29th, 06, 8:14 AM
Senior Tech Team

Talking Re: Big Block Chevy Square Port Or Oval Port

Ovals , definately Ovals................I put em' on everything from 396's to 800 inches and every single one of those combos made more torque and peak power with the Ovals! They are simply put, unbelievable!
http://i611.photobucket.com/albums/t.../Reynolds1.jpg
The 65 Imp
http://i611.photobucket.com/albums/t...a/100_0318.jpg
Old Mar 29th, 06, 8:27 AM
Gold Founding Member
"Wild Bill"

Send a message via AIM to BillsCamino

Quote:
Originally Posted by joespanova
Ovals , definately Ovals................I put em' on everything from 396's to 800 inches and every single one of those combos made more torque and peak power with the Ovals! They are simply put, unbelievable!

Last Car

Team Chevelle #613
ACES #3920
CAMI (Ireland) #14
CanAm Chevelles #136
Carolina Chevelles #185
Heart Of Dixie #231
Long Island Chevelles #113
Old Mar 29th, 06, 8:50 AM
Senior Tech Team

For an 800cube motor I hope youre talkin oval Big Cheifs
Around 500 cubes is the break for oval / rect. heads and 6500rpm,
when the airspeed becomes to high.
62 Nova
383/200-4R/12-bolt w 373s
224/224 HR cam
1.57 10.97 @ 121.2
69 chevelle 350, 200-4R 411s 12.31@110.6 (sold)
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/709320
Old Mar 29th, 06, 9:12 AM
Tech Team

Smile Re: Big Block Chevy Square Port Or Oval Port

Quote:
Originally Posted by joespanova
I promised to be good.Oval port heads on a 800 cu. engine??I think the post was referring to stock type heads.
Old Mar 29th, 06, 10:06 AM
Gold Member
Gene

Just relevant facts gents! Opinions are like, well you know, we all have one...
ACES 3112/Team Chevelle Gold #62
Be big, be a 'builder'!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Chevelle Tech > General Tech Area > Performance      Current Topic: Big Block Chevy Square Port Or Oval Port
Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.