cast iron cylinder head repair? - Chevelle Tech
Chevelle Tech join team chevelle as a supporting member  
Chevelle Parts at SS396.com      
GROUND UP & SS396.com         
Official Sponsor of Team Chevelle

Auto Insurance

Chevelles.com is the premier Chevrolet Chevelle Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Performance Our High Performance area

Old Mar 10th, 06, 4:16 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Anthony

Default cast iron cylinder head repair?

My buddy has a set of closed chamber square port heads. I`m not sure what casting they are. Anyway, one of the heads has a crack at one of the rocker stud bosses and it`s cracked down into the intake runner. Is this fixable? Can anyone recomend a shop in Northern California? Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Mar 10th, 06, 11:21 PM
Team Member
Douglas

Send a message via AIM to star393 Send a message via Yahoo to star393
Default Re: cast iron cylinder head repair?

Quote:
Originally Posted by sschevellefan
My buddy has a set of closed chamber square port heads. I`m not sure what casting they are. Anyway, one of the heads has a crack at one of the rocker stud bosses and it`s cracked down into the intake runner. Is this fixable? Can anyone recomend a shop in Northern California? Thanks.
Anything is fixable,its not worth it. The wrong place to be cracked. Keep looking for another head or a better set of heads. Thats my opinion. Cut that one up for a porting project and learn whats inside.
Old Mar 11th, 06, 2:47 AM
Lifetime Premium Member
Anthony

thanks for the reply. I wasn`t asking for myself, I`ve already got a set of heads. I would`nt mind having them if they were cheap enough but he wants to try to get them fixed to use as a backup set of heads. Thanks.
Old Mar 11th, 06, 8:13 AM
Gold Member
Gene

Aluminum would be less of a problem, fixing cast iron is quite difficult. 049s can be had for as little as $100 a set. Cheaper than the iron repair.
ACES 3112/Team Chevelle Gold #62
Be big, be a 'builder'!
Old Mar 11th, 06, 12:26 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Anthony

My buddy already has a set of these heads on his car now but like I said, he wants to have them fixed to use as a back up set of heads. If he went to 049 heads he would loose compression and have to have bigger valves installed and have them ported. Right now his camaro runs 11.0-10.9`s with the closed square ports with a gasket match and bowl work. It might be easier to just find a replacement heads, probably cheaper than fixing the cracked one too.
Old Mar 11th, 06, 1:33 PM
Senior Tech Team
Ray

Check out this stuff. Go to the iron section. I have used it and it's easy and works. I applied it then used it then smoothed it with a die grinder. It's been two years and no problems. www.aluminumrepair.com
Old Mar 11th, 06, 1:50 PM
Tech Team

Send a message via AIM to 19Nova72

When I purchased my double hump heads that had just came off a grenaded 350, one of the intake valves got friendly with a piston. This cracked the valve guide and the valve guide boss for about 5/8". Since there was no oil behind the crack or air leak, I had em install a new guide and I was good to go. 12,000 miles later its workin great! I'd be more afraid of actually repairing it with a material thats going to expand and contract differently than the cast iron head and potentially fall off.
Old Mar 11th, 06, 2:36 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Anthony

Quote:
Originally Posted by 19Nova72
When I purchased my double hump heads that had just came off a grenaded 350, one of the intake valves got friendly with a piston. This cracked the valve guide and the valve guide boss for about 5/8". Since there was no oil behind the crack or air leak, I had em install a new guide and I was good to go. 12,000 miles later its workin great! I'd be more afraid of actually repairing it with a material thats going to expand and contract differently than the cast iron head and potentially fall off.
This crack is from the rocker stud into the intake port. If it were as easy as replacing the guide that would be great but unfortunately the only way to fixit would be to have it welded.

Camaro_fever, thanks for the link but I don`t think my buddy wants to mess with it himself. He wants to have it done by someone who knows what they are doing. I`m going to meet up with him tomorrow and I`m going to try to take a look at it and see where the crack is exactly. He might just be better off finding a replacement head. Thanks.
Old Mar 11th, 06, 11:24 PM
Tech Team

http://www.locknstitch.com

They also do welding on cast iron.
Old Mar 12th, 06, 12:06 AM
Lifetime Premium Member
Mike

Quote:
Originally Posted by cam-copier
http://www.locknstitch.com

They also do welding on cast iron.
=
And excellent work too

There is also a shop in Chico I believe or somewhere close to it that is really good at doing cast iron welding & another in Washington that I can't remember the name of that has a real good reputation.

But. unless the head is something very rare it ain't worth it.
The casting will be so distorted that every machined surface will need redoing.
================================
Welcome to the internet,,, "Experts" made daily
===
"Life is tough.,, Life is even tougher if you're stupid."
----John Wayne----

Old Mar 12th, 06, 12:27 AM
Team Member
Douglas

Send a message via AIM to star393 Send a message via Yahoo to star393

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfplace
=
And excellent work too

There is also a shop in Chico I believe or somewhere close to it that is really good at doing cast iron welding & another in Washington that I can't remember the name of that has a real good reputation.

But. unless the head is something very rare it ain't worth it.
The casting will be so distorted that every machined surface will need redoing.
We aggree on something after all. There,s another shop in Iowa also excellent work also. Item must be oven controlled welded and return back to oven so far havent seen anything other then .003 of distortion. min. one crack 145.00 plus shipping, and under stud boss not worth it. Farmers are good cast iron welders. If you people really want the address i can post it.
Does a great job welding cracks between seats into bowls on 990 heads or others.

Douglas
Old Mar 12th, 06, 12:41 AM
Lifetime Premium Member
Anthony

Mike, thanks for the info. He said they were from a 375hp 395 from a 1965 vette. I don`t know how rare they are but I just thought I would post it for him to see whats available.

Cam, thanks for the link. i`ll send it to my buddy and see what he thinks.
Old Mar 12th, 06, 8:37 AM
Tech Team
Eric

If they're really `65 (#3856208) heads, then they are worth repairing.
Old Mar 12th, 06, 9:16 AM
Senior Tech Team

We are in the processing of restoring a unit for a 1966 BB Vette. One head had a 2.000" long crack in the chamber. Both are being setup for "unleaded" while they're being repaired. The process involves machining for a seat insert but instead of pressing one in place, a "bead" of nickel weld is laid in the machined area. We will remachine the seat (weld) itself for the valve job. In short, the valve "seats" on the welded in "nickel" with NO insert. This is for the exhaust only. This is how many vintage heads are repaired. It's safer than trying to put an insert in with very old, thin, and extremely valuable cores that can't be replaced anymore.

This entire operation is being performed at "Champion Racing Head Service"
down in Palm Coast, Florida. It was started by a friend of ours, Al Mathon, who did ALL the cast iron welding for the original owners of the "AFX" cars when they surfaced on the scene years ago. Al has since had health problems, but appears to be well enough to oversee the guys at "Champion" to continue with welding repairs on "valuable" iron. The 2 heads we're having done are BB "square port" #858's. Thanks, Gary in N.Y.

P.S. You are welcome to contact them in Florida, the address is 13 Hargrove Grade, Palm Coast, Fl. 32137. The phone number is 386-446-4488. As I stated above, Al himself welded all the iron heads used in the original "Funny-Cars" when the manufacturers had only iron to offer. He did many 351 Cleveland's over the years.
Old Mar 13th, 06, 1:02 AM
Lifetime Premium Member
Anthony

GOSFAST, thanks for the contact info for Champion head service. It`s funny, this post started out for a buddy`s heads but today my neighbor gave me a set of bare 840 castings with a hole in the combustion chamber in one head. So now I have a set of heads that need to be repaired. I`m not sure if I`m going to use them but they were free so if I don`t, I`m nt out any money. thanks again.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Chevelle Tech > General Tech Area > Performance      Current Topic: cast iron cylinder head repair?
Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.