Engine Starts, then immediately stalls - Chevelle Tech
Chevelle Tech join team chevelle as a supporting member  
Chevelle Parts at SS396.com      
GROUND UP & SS396.com         
Official Sponsor of Team Chevelle

Auto Insurance

Chevelles.com is the premier Chevrolet Chevelle Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Engine AdvertisementGeneral Engine Discussion.

Old Nov 24th, 05, 12:32 AM
Senior Tech Team
Alan

Default Engine Starts, then immediately stalls

I've got a weird problem. Car will start will zero problems. Turn the key, it fires right up, but then it stalls. After multiple times of this, it will finally run normally. I can't figure it out . I've recently changed the distributor, and coil, wires (a few months ago - car ran great). Put in new plugs and swapped carburetors to try and solve this weird problem, but problem still exists. Had the positive battery cable looked at for corrosion, there was none (I'm using 1-gauge sized positive/negative cables). Then timing is set at 12* intial where it's been for a long time. Fuel filter was changed a month or more ago, and the gas tank is full. Any ideas? Turn the key, it fires up, then dies. After several times of that sequence, the engine all of a sudden fires up and runs like normal. This is driving me crazy

Thanks!

Al
Advertisement

Old Nov 24th, 05, 1:21 AM
Lifetime Premium Member

Default Re: Engine Starts, then immediately stalls

Does it die as if you were shutting the key off, like just turning off the engine? Or is it something that when it dies, it kind of fades or drops until its no longer running?

If it is dying like your shutting off the car, you could be loosing your ignition. If its slowing dying, you could be loosing airflow (very doubtfull) or more likely, its not getting enough gas for the moment. Since you swapped carbs to try to fix it. I would try looking at the fuel pump and make sure there isnt any blockage in the fuel lines. Even in the sock inside the tank may be a possible.

When the Boogeyman goes to bed, he checks the closet for Chuck Norris.

If it aint broke, just give me a minute.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old Nov 24th, 05, 1:48 AM
Senior Tech Team
Alan

Most of the time it seems to stall like when you turn the key off. Other times it will act more like it's sputtering. The former, it almost is like when you put a new carb on that doesn't have any gas in it, but you pour a little down the carb, turn the iginition, it fires, but immediately dies without sputtering. The latter is when the outside temp is cold, you pump the throttle once, turn the key, engine fires, but it dies after a few seconds. I should record a sound bite with my video camera tomorrow morning and upload it. Might be easier for you to take a guess at the problem. I have another distributor and coil I could try. I'll need to test the fuel pump for flow before ruling that good or not. I don't think it would be a clogged fuel sender sock (although I should not rule it out just yet).

I had a fuel pump go out on the car before, but it quite straight out, no warning. I've checked all the electrical wires, harnesses, connections, etc., but don't see anything that is loose or otherwise defective.

Thanks for the reply Chris.

Al
Old Nov 24th, 05, 1:57 AM
Gold Founding Member
Darren

I vote for ignition switch. Try running a jumper from the battery + to the coil +, then start it. If it stays running, it's the switch.
Beach Cam
TC #78 Gold, ACES #3130
Old Nov 24th, 05, 2:49 AM
Senior Tech Team
Alan

I'll try that in the morning Darren. Thanks for the tip. I'll report back in the morning
Old Nov 24th, 05, 12:07 PM
Senior Tech Team
Alan

I installed a jumper wire between the positive battery terminal and the positive coil terminal. Here is what happened:

1st: Jumper connected. Car starts and runs fine. Turn ignition key off, but car continues to run. I disconnect negative battery cable to stall engine.

2nd: No jumper. Car fires, then dies. Repeat, repeat, repeat. No go.

3rd: Had my Uncle hold the jumper to the positive battery terminal. Car starts and runs fine. My Uncle removes the jumper and the car dies (key is still in the RUN position).

Ignition switch bad like Darren pointed out?

Thanks,

Al
Old Nov 24th, 05, 3:57 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Greg

Send a message via AIM to undee70ss

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan
I installed a jumper wire between the positive battery terminal and the positive coil terminal. Here is what happened:

1st: Jumper connected. Car starts and runs fine. Turn ignition key off, but car continues to run. I disconnect negative battery cable to stall engine.

2nd: No jumper. Car fires, then dies. Repeat, repeat, repeat. No go.

3rd: Had my Uncle hold the jumper to the positive battery terminal. Car starts and runs fine. My Uncle removes the jumper and the car dies (key is still in the RUN position).

Ignition switch bad like Darren pointed out?

Thanks,

Al
With the jumper it will continue to run even with the key off, since you are applying battery power to the IGN. Sounds like you have a problem in the IGN circuit. Could be the ignition switch or a connection.

MY 70SS
Old Nov 24th, 05, 4:52 PM
Tech Team

Do you run a Ballast resistor on that Ignition System, I had the same problem....would cut off as soon as I let go of the key...Changed the resistor and it was fine.
World Sportsman II heads (64cc)
Voodoo 268
Edelbrock Performer intake
670 Street Avenger(hope this one lasts),
Headers running to 40 series flows

"90% of all Fords are still on the road........the other 10% made it home"
Old Nov 24th, 05, 10:06 PM
Gold Founding Member
Darren

As explained by Greg, it will stay running with the positive hooked up, since you're still putting 12v to the coil. Chevelle Dude has a good point too, haven't run across that one myself, though. If you have access to a volt/ohm meter, remove the positive wire at the coil, and read the voltage on the wire. See if it jumps around. If you can, get under the dash and unhook the ignition switch connector from the column, find the positive terminal and the "ignition run" terminal, and with the key in the run position, check the continuity across the switch. If it's jumping around, most likely the switch is the culprit.
Beach Cam
TC #78 Gold, ACES #3130
Old Nov 25th, 05, 1:02 AM
Tech Team

Will the car stay running if you give it gas? Does it have an electric or manual choke which could be malfunctioning?
Old Nov 25th, 05, 7:12 PM
Lifetime Premium Member

You might try changing the coil, it cured my similar problem
http://community.webshots.com/user/mmadd10688100
Old Nov 26th, 05, 11:29 AM
Senior Tech Team
Alan

Thanks for the replies guys.

I'll try a new ballast resister (I have a new one laying around).

If that doesn't work, I'll put my old coil back on (I know it still works)

No luck there, I'll test the ignition switch like Darren said.

I won't be home until tomorrow, so I'll post my results in the afternoon or evening.

We'll figure this problem out one way or another
Old Nov 26th, 05, 11:44 PM
Senior Tech Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cameano
I vote for ignition switch. Try running a jumper from the battery + to the coil +, then start it. If it stays running, it's the switch.
I'm kind of leaning towards the ignition switch also. Since this is a 71, the switch is on top of column and is operated by a rod that's connected to the key assembly. You can adjust the position of the ignition switch by loosening the retaining screws with a 5/16 wrench and sliding the switch up and down. It sounds like the switch is out of adjustment and when release the key to the run position, it simply shuts the engine off.
Old Nov 27th, 05, 12:30 AM
Tech Team
John

It's the ignition switch - I've seen 3 do this - one in a 67 wagon, one in a 64 EC,a nd one in a 71 GMC truck.
Old Dec 20th, 05, 12:38 AM
Senior Tech Team
Alan

Default Re: Engine Starts, then immediately stalls-UPDATE

Well, I replaced the ignition switch and thought the problem was solved. Today took the car on a errand and car wouldn't started. Same dang problem. Walked home 3 miles to get a ballast resister (I was trying my best to not get it towed). Still wouldn't fire and run. So, I called AAA and had it towed home .

I'm thinking it might be the fuel pump. I'm a little stumped! I must be losing my touch. Can't even figure out this dumb problem.
Advertisement

Chevelle Tech > Mechanical > Engine      Current Topic: Engine Starts, then immediately stalls
Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.