is a 69 nova 4 cylinder rare? - Page 2 - Chevelle Tech
Chevelle Tech join team chevelle as a supporting member  
Chevelle Parts at SS396.com      
GROUND UP & SS396.com         
Official Sponsor of Team Chevelle

Auto Insurance

Chevelles.com is the premier Chevrolet Chevelle Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Bench Racing Stories, cruising and more.

Old Nov 19th, 05, 5:31 PM
Senior Tech Team

Default Re: is a 69 nova 4 cylinder rare?

The 4 cly. also was used in boats mainly. A friend of mine has one, a '70, frame off, show winner , usually tops at every show he enters. The National Nova pres. wanted him to bring it, and display it at their show in Atlanta this year. He says he has never seen one in person, they are that rare. His car was bought through an estate sale, 40,000 mile , all original car. The only thing he did was change colors ,from yellow to black.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Nov 19th, 05, 5:36 PM
Senior Tech Team
Keith

Send a message via AIM to keithb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Garland
The 4 cly. also was used in boats mainly. A friend of mine has one, a '70, frame off, show winner , usually tops at every show he enters. The National Nova pres. wanted him to bring it, and display it at their show in Atlanta this year. He says he has never seen one in person, they are that rare. His car was bought through an estate sale, 40,000 mile , all original car. The only thing he did was change colors ,from yellow to black.
if it is that rare and all original why did he change colors? that make no sense in my mind but its not my far
1966 Chevelle SS 396/360 M21 3:73 posi. silver/blue buckets
1994 Corvette coupe LT1 auto
Maryland Chevelle Club #682
Old Nov 19th, 05, 6:30 PM
Senior Tech Team

If you were to buy this nova where the hell would you get parts for it?
Old Nov 19th, 05, 8:40 PM
Paul

Unhappy Re: is a 69 nova 4 cylinder rare?

It's a stock 230", 6-banger with 2 cylinders missing is all! Nothing out of the ordinary at all EXCEPT it is a 4-banger!

Great little motor, imho!!

AND I wished GM had it nowaday's b/c it would make a great commuter car!!

Like a 4-banger TAXI!!

A h-ll of a lot better then the pos Vega motor AND the funny thing about the Vega motor is that they got it right AFTER they made it with cast-iron sleeves, but by that time it was too f----g late!!

Same deal with the V-6 Fiero, 5-speed!!

AND don't even get me started on the '65 and newer Corvairs vs the '64 and older man-killers!!

pdq67
Old Nov 20th, 05, 1:19 AM
Senior Tech Team
Derrick

what's wrong with a V6 5 speed Fiero, except that they should have used the 3.8 instead of the 2.8?

-Hank Hill
Old Nov 20th, 05, 10:00 AM
Senior Tech Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by keithb
if it is that rare and all original why did he change colors? that make no sense in my mind but its not my far

He changed the color of the car first, and then was approached to have it displayed, and found out how rare it is. Hindsight is always 20/20. He has a thing for black cars, and trucks, so this one followed suit. The car would be worth more if it was the original color. He bought all his parts for it through Year One, and they asked him to send in a portfolio of it, for a possible photo shoot, and display on the showroom floor. When they found out it was a 4 cyl. car, they declined the offer. To look at it, it looks exactly like a COPO 427 car, dog dishes, and all, then you raise the hood, and see that little 4 cyl.

His car actually should look like Marlin's car, pictured here, before repaint.

http://www.yenko.net/features/2001/August-01-3-big.jpg

Last edited by Doug Garland; Nov 20th, 05 at 10:11 AM. Reason: add text
Old Nov 20th, 05, 11:15 AM
Paul

Unhappy Re: is a 69 nova 4 cylinder rare?

That was the problem with the V-6, 5-speed Fiero, they shoulda installed it early-on and not after the little car got such a bad rap that it wouldn't sell!

That and the V-6 needed a bigger oil pan!!!

They did the same thing with the Corvair too! Built the better one too late!

Same thing with the Vega block!! Shoulda been sleeved from the git-go!! BUT I figure it was sure cheap to make UNTIL they couldn't sell them anymore unsleeved!!

pdq67
Old Nov 20th, 05, 8:23 PM
Senior Tech Team
Dave

The 4 cylinder was the base engine for the Nova up to 1970. The six was the option. After '71 the six was the base engine.

Of interest the 153 cube 4 cylinder that came in the Novas isn't much different than the 151 cube iron dukes that were found in S-10's, 80's Camaros/Firebirds, etc.

Anyone remember the torque drive transmissions?
Old Nov 20th, 05, 10:11 PM
Senior Tech Team

The 4 cyl Nova was meant as a price leader car, but it doesn't deserve much praise. Car review writers of the era soundly panned the 4 because it was needleesly noisy (always had to buzz the engine to get the car moving), it was not smooth, and often times got no better fuel mileage than the small 6.

My only exposure to this engine is through house boats, a place where it is disproportionately represented. My experience was the same as the car test writers: it was noisy, vibrated excessively, and didn't provide much power.

Thomas
Old Nov 20th, 05, 10:46 PM
Paul

Question Re: is a 69 nova 4 cylinder rare?

Dawg,

What are you talking about??

"Anyone remember the torque drive transmissions?"..

New one on me unless you are calling it by a name I am not familiar with??

Please come back on this one.

pdq67
Old Nov 21st, 05, 12:02 AM
Senior Tech Team
Dave

The torque drive was an automatic/manual powerglide. It had only 2 gears, hi and 1st.

When you took off from a dead stop you shifted the car into 1st, then after the car was moving you shifted out of 1st into hi.

There was no clutch pedal to push. Think of it as a powerglide with a manual valve body.

It was avaliable from 1969 thru 1971 on 4 and 6 cylinder powered Novas. Not sure if they came in anything else.

I know of a guy that's giving one away if you want it.

Here's what the gear indicator looked like on torque-drive Novas (very bottom pic):
http://www.classicnovas.net/brochure/69-12.htm

Here's another one (upper left hand pic):
http://www.classicnovas.net/brochure/70-11.htm

From the 1970 Nova brochure:

Torque-drive: Low cost answer to no clutch driving. Shift manually or stay in gear without shifting in stop, slow and go traffic. Geared for fuel economy. Avaliable with 4 and 6 cylinder engines only.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bomber '67
Car review writers of the era soundly panned the 4 because it was needleesly noisy (always had to buzz the engine to get the car moving): it was noisy, vibrated excessively, and didn't provide much power.
Why does this remind me of rice burners?
Old Nov 22nd, 05, 9:52 PM
Senior Tech Team
Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by CheZeppelinCorps
If you were to buy this nova where the hell would you get parts for it?
I think the only things really unique are the radiator (can be bought at radiator shop)and the core support and shroud...all else can be bought at most any parts store.

I'm pretty sure a majority of the engine parts are interchangable with the old 2.5's in the S-10's and Camaros/Firebirds.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Chevelle Tech > Information Exchange > Bench Racing      Current Topic: is a 69 nova 4 cylinder rare?
Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.