Buffing and cleaning 14 yr old lacquer paint - Chevelle Tech
Chevelle Tech join team chevelle as a supporting member  
Chevelle Parts at SS396.com      
GROUND UP & SS396.com         
Official Sponsor of Team Chevelle

Auto Insurance

Chevelles.com is the premier Chevrolet Chevelle Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Body Shop Paint & Body Forum

Old Nov 8th, 05, 8:22 AM
Gold Founding Member
Rich

Send a message via MSN to richr
Default Buffing and cleaning 14 yr old lacquer paint

The other day I accidentally got super glue on my 14 yr old lacquer paint (another story), I tried everything to get it off carefully. Finally I had some 1500 grit paper so I carefully wet sanded it. Then of course I only had polishing compound to get those scratches off - this took a lot of rubbing but in the end the glue is of and that spot came very smooth and the depth of color looks great.

So I am now considering wet sanding the entire car, but not with 1500 as it was too aggressive and buffing it out. Just wondering what the best method and materials I should use to do this, 2000 - polishing compound? Brands etc? The paint still looks great but it can look better, it is a clear coat lacquer done apprx 14 yrs ago Mist Green.

Thks

Rich
http://www.my70ss.com (see page for Restoration Labels)
http://www.chevelles.com/feature/august2001.html]
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Nov 8th, 05, 8:47 AM
Senior Tech Team
Roger

Default Re: Buffing and cleaning 14 yr old lacquer paint

By all means buff it ouit again. Lacquer loves that. Stay off your edges or tape them with masking tape to keep from burning through. I'd hit it with 2000 grit and then buff it out. I use 3M stuff....a light grade rubbing compound since we have used the 2000 grit followed with a wash and then a glaze. Finally a hand wax
Old Nov 8th, 05, 11:21 AM
Gold Founding Member
Rich

Send a message via MSN to richr

Ok thks 67 so here are the steps I should take - sorry to being extra thorough - just want to insure I do it right -

Wet sand with 2000
Buff with a light grade of 3m rubbing compound - any particular name?
Wash - just water rinse?
Glaze - 3M fill and glaze?

Thks

Rich
http://www.my70ss.com (see page for Restoration Labels)
http://www.chevelles.com/feature/august2001.html]
Old Nov 8th, 05, 4:10 PM
Tech Team

RichR,

I'll second the using of 2000 for wet sanding. I use Mequires Diamond cut
compound. This stuff is great and can save you the polishing step. After
doing my 69 with this combo, I used Mothers carnuba and it looks real
wet. Although ANY 3M product has always worked well for me also.

Oh, use a nice wool pad at 1200-1800 rpm when using the Diamond cut.
Old Nov 8th, 05, 11:16 PM
Tech Team
darryl

Hey Richr,you might want to consider using system 1 for a compound,you can use it through all steps(wool,foamand finish pads)and when all steps are done right there are no swirl marks!the only downfall is it is alittle spendy.I have used a lot of different compounds but system 1 is my favorite,and no I dont have stock in it LOL.Darryl
Old Nov 10th, 05, 9:08 AM
Senior Tech Team
Roger

I'm using 3M Microfinishing compound. You sand it, then wash, then buff, then wash, then glaze (swirl mark remover), wash if necessary and then I hand wax. The washing is very important! First you wash and scrub the car before starting. Next you wet sand with the hose in one hand giving you a trickle of water to keep the fine paper from filling up. Don't sand where you can't buff like real close to emblems and trim. Rinse car to get get sanding residue off, let dry and start with your compound. When you have finished you will need to wash all the compound grit of the car or it will contaminant your next step with the glaze. You can't get the swirls out if your glaze is picking up the coarser girt of the compound. If you don't have experience with a buffer better to start on a beater car first, it can get away from you, grab loose clothing, and burn right through the paint and primer and leave you looking at bare metal. You will need to use clean buffing pads also. If you only have one pad you will need to wash the compound out of it before moving onto the glaze.
Old Nov 10th, 05, 12:16 PM
Senior Tech Team
Neal

Why is everybody so gung ho about wet sanding the car? Unless he has alot of orange peel to take care of, he should be able to achieve a great shine and depth by merely buffing the car and by doing so he will remove much less material.
Old Nov 10th, 05, 12:48 PM
Team Member
Bill

Quote:
Originally Posted by pist0lpete
Why is everybody so gung ho about wet sanding the car? Unless he has alot of orange peel to take care of, he should be able to achieve a great shine and depth by merely buffing the car and by doing so he will remove much less material.
Why buff the car then. The whole reason for buffing is to bring the shine back from wet sanding. Sanding/buffing is the final stage in a quality paint job. Sanding gets out any dust/dirt, as well as taking out any orange peel and makes the paint "flat".
For collision work on a Toyota, paint it and drive it, but for a top notch paint job, it HAS to be sanded.
I know/seen the Chevelle Rich wants to sand/buff, and trust me it is well worth spending a few weekends doing this correctly...
Old Nov 10th, 05, 3:18 PM
Senior Tech Team
Roger

PistolPete has a good point. Not all cars need to be wet sanded and on some the paint is so thin you could go through.
Old Nov 10th, 05, 4:34 PM
Senior Tech Team
Neal

Quote:
Originally Posted by 71SSBB
Why buff the car then. The whole reason for buffing is to bring the shine back from wet sanding. Sanding/buffing is the final stage in a quality paint job. Sanding gets out any dust/dirt, as well as taking out any orange peel and makes the paint "flat".
For collision work on a Toyota, paint it and drive it, but for a top notch paint job, it HAS to be sanded.
I know/seen the Chevelle Rich wants to sand/buff, and trust me it is well worth spending a few weekends doing this correctly...
Well cars can lose their shine over time from various elements in the environment. Buffing would bring that shine back out. Thats why people have their cars buffed its a common practice. The procedure for buffing a car after wet sanding is not the same as buffing a car at say your local detail shop. Buffing is definitely not a process to only be used after wet sanding. Like I said the process and compounds can differ somewhat but the end result is the same. However, you have seen the car and I have not, I was merely speculating on whether or not it has orange peel so if it does by all means wet sand it. See for all I knew the car was wet sanded 14 years ago when the paint was done. I was just going with the information provided.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Chevelle Tech > General Tech Area > Body Shop      Current Topic: Buffing and cleaning 14 yr old lacquer paint
Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.