Team Chevelle banner

A Great Day On The Engine Dyno

44K views 14 replies 12 participants last post by  pdq67 
#1 ·
Man it's awesome to be able to be a part of dyno day with your new engine. I had this first time ever opportunity last friday. Helped hook up my 383 SBC to the dyno, watch the break in, and the half dozen or so pulls on it.

Thanks a ton to Carl at www.cncblocksnortheast.com for the expert machining and and assembly work, and for the fun day at the dyno shop.

Also a thumbs up to Patrick at Pro-systems for the awesome carburator, as Carl said "thats a nice piece"

Peak HP 455 @ 5400 RPM
TQ range was huge:422 ft lbs @ 2900 RPM and 437 ft lbs @ 5400 RPM, peak 501 ft lbs @ 4200 RPM.
Anybody see any problems with this?

Roger

#5 ·
Yeah tire wear problems for sure(aka, traction problems). And guess what....once you cure the traction problems and get some good hook, the new problem will be every single weak link in the drivetrain. Exploded differential parts for everyone yaay! Hehe, I guess thats a much better problem than not being able to turn them over in the rain!

Anyways, the results sound great. If you dont mind, fill us in on all the vital specs on the buildup. Sounds like monster power at plenty streetable rpm's so Im sure everybody would like to hear about it..... Let us know how it all works out once its in the car. Good luck.

#8 ·
great numbers! it is exciting to see your work running for the first time, especially at wide open. give us the specs on your motor. tom

#10 ·
Thanks for the feedback. Got a few chuckles from it.
Here's the skinney on the build:
Scat 4340 3.750 6" crank
Scat 4340 6" bushed I beam pro series rods.
Internally balanced.
SRP flat top pistons.
Speed Pro file fit rings. STD Tension.
Edelbrock Air Gap RPM manifold.
AFR 195 street heads. Got the 74cc ones for the better runner design and had them milled to 68cc.
Pro Systems, Pro Series-HP 750 DP carb.
20 year old but brand new GM 350 high nickle block and main caps that I had in hibernation. bored 0.030 over (obviously) it's a 383
ARP bolts thru out entire engine.
Hyd FT cam. I don't have the spec sheet. It had like 505 lift with the 1.52 rocker ratio of the comp cams Pro Magnum rocker arms I used. It's a grind that Carl recomended, so he might chime in with the specs or you could email or call him for them.
10.5 CR
8.3 DCR if I remember correctly (thanks Pat Kelly)
All prep and assy including:block,Balancing rotator,clearancing rods and pin bores,line bore, torque plate bore and hone,square decking,crank polishing,Balancing flywheel and pressure plate, was done by Carl
www.cncblocksne.com
It's going into a fully restored 70, frame off resto, M20, 12 bolt posi rearend W/ 373 gears. It's been a 5 year project. Engine won't be going in until spring time. It's friggin winter here already :( It's already being stored inside my warm dry house for the winter. I'll be "test" dressing it for fitment of all the accessories for quick install and assy next spring then it's pavement blistering time!
Whew I think I'm done. my one finger is getting sore.

Whad I forget?

Roger

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.