Cylinder Scratch Hone or Bore? - Chevelle Tech
Chevelle Tech join team chevelle as a supporting member  
Chevelle Parts at SS396.com      
GROUND UP & SS396.com         
Official Sponsor of Team Chevelle

Auto Insurance

Chevelles.com is the premier Chevrolet Chevelle Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Engine AdvertisementGeneral Engine Discussion.

Old Sep 16th, 05, 11:08 PM
Tech Team

Default Cylinder Scratch Hone or Bore?

I have a 454 that was rebuilt and has about 5K on it.I pulled the heads and checked the cylinders and one has a scratch that you can feel with tour fingernail.The motor is already boared .040 over.My question is can I get by with hoening out the cylnder or going to .060 over.How much does a hone remove frome the cyl?I am buying new pistons to raise the compression anyway so would it be best to start with a fresh bore?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Sep 16th, 05, 11:50 PM
Gold Founding Member

Default Re: Cylinder Scratch Hone or Bore?

"It all depends".

You need to hone enough to eliminate the scratch--so how deep is the scratch?

You need to consider piston-to-wall clearance. What clearance do you have now, and what clearance is recommended for your new pistons? What EXACT size are your current pistons, and what EXACT size are the new ones?

I would consider going to .060 over, I'm thinking there's a better selection of pistons than what's available at .040--but I can't say I've researched that.
Old Sep 17th, 05, 12:00 PM
Tech Team

The scratch is not very deep about .0001.You can hardley feel it with you finger nail.It's more of a scuff than a scratch .I hate to go to .060 if I don't have to because these blocks are getting harder to find.SpeedPro ha a .040 piston in hypertech that requires a .0015 skirt clearence.I am sending it out to have the cam bearings replaced and have the cyl's honed.I was suprised with the number of .040 pistons out there.
Old Sep 17th, 05, 3:25 PM
Gold Founding Member
"Wild Bill"

Send a message via AIM to BillsCamino

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankg70ss
The scratch is not very deep about .0001.You can hardley feel it with you finger nail.
You would not be able to see a scratch .0001" deep, much less feel one.
If you're able to hang nail on it, it's probably closer to .003" or more. Removing a defect that deep will require honing .006" (.003 per side) out of the bore.
Since you need to by pistons anyhow...bore .060" over and be done with it.

Team Chevelle #613
ACES #3920
CAMI (Ireland) #14
CanAm Chevelles #136
Carolina Chevelles #185
Heart Of Dixie #231
Long Island Chevelles #113
Old Sep 17th, 05, 9:46 PM
Paul

Thumbs up Re: Cylinder Scratch Hone or Bore?

Dingle-berry hone her AND put it back together with new rings AND run her!!

pdq67
Old Sep 18th, 05, 2:04 AM
Senior Tech Team
Tom

All you can do at home is hone the cylinder walls to seat the new rings. To remove a groove from the cylinder wall will require that the block be bored to the next piston size by a machine shop. If you are putting new pistons in, now would be the time to do it. Look on the bright side; you'll pick up about four extra cubic inches of displacement with the bore job.

Tom
Old Sep 18th, 05, 10:53 AM
Tech Team
Mark

Talking Re: Cylinder Scratch Hone or Bore?

If it isn't smoking, using oil, or showing a difference in compression readings,
I'd leave it alone.
If it needs more than a couple thousandths removed, it should be bored or you'll have excessive piston to wall clearance.
JMHO.
Old Sep 18th, 05, 5:31 PM
Senior Tech Team
John

depending on what it comes out at after honing, my builder thinks that 8 thousands of cyl to piston clearance is fine, you won't hear it, no oil consumption difference and no slap. minehad a light scratch like yours, he's honed it and got almost every bit of it out, but not all, beed blasted the pistons and will re-use them... he assures me i'll never tell, the pistons were tight to begin with... i'd as you builder what kinda clearance you'd have after a hone and have the pistons checked, if they are a tad big anyway, and the cyls maybe small you have a good chance to just hone and go (have the pistons cleaned up though)
Tremec TKO-600
GOLD Member #783
Old Sep 19th, 05, 7:34 AM
Tech Team

Was it doing anything wrong in the first place? If not I wouldn't mess with it.

Is the scratch from the ring gaps or some unknown source?
Old Sep 19th, 05, 6:00 PM
Senior Tech Team
Shawn

chev-hell,

I know im new here, but i have had several experiances with piston sidewall to cylinder clearance issues. At .008 you will definately hear piston slap and it will rock in the bore prematurely wearing spots on the piston and be more prone to galling ect. It all depends on the composition of the piston material he mentioned hyper's which use a very tight clearance his example was .0015 they use this tight clearance because they do not expand under heat like a forged alloy. This makes them great street engine pistons because they are stable in the bore and long wearing with good ring seal properties. I put a set of those in at about 3.5-4 ( same as my old pistons ) and they rattled their ass off. Older TRW forged slugs ( heavy beast they were ) required about .006 because of their expansion charactoristics and at .008 they would probably be fine after they got warmed up. Most of your modern forged alloys use a sidewall clearance in the range of .004 to .0045 trust me from experiance just follow the piston manufacturers recommendations the best you can afford. RPM is another issue the effects of sidewall clearance issues are amplified the higher the RPM you turn the engine. IF you plan to buy new Hyper's and install them at the recommended .0015-.0025 most of them run then i strongly urge you to consider boring on out to .060 and starting fresh. However you might get your machinist to remove the scratch and measure the bore because if he doesnt have to remove to much you might be able to buy a piston to suit the increased bore diameter and still meet the recommended clearance.

For example if you had run hypers before installed at .002 and he grinds 4 out to get the scratch out you could then buy a set of cheaper pistons that require .006 clearance and your set at .040. The reason i know all this is these 400 blocks i have been running are getting scarce and can only be bored .040 ive been through all of this on the success side and failure side.

JMHO
Shawn
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Chevelle Tech > Mechanical > Engine      Current Topic: Cylinder Scratch Hone or Bore?
Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.