Quadrajet Electric Choke - Chevelle Tech
Chevelle Tech join team chevelle as a supporting member  
Chevelle Parts at SS396.com      
GROUND UP & SS396.com         
Official Sponsor of Team Chevelle

Auto Insurance

Chevelles.com is the premier Chevrolet Chevelle Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Engine AdvertisementGeneral Engine Discussion.

Old Sep 5th, 05, 10:09 PM
Senior Tech Team

Default Quadrajet Electric Choke

Anyone know how to preliminary install, set, and then adjust one of these? Just rebuilt an '79 vintage M4MC for the '72 and everything is done besides the choke. I put it together and set it, and I think it works. But I never made a mark for reference when I initially took it apart. So I took the choke back out of the housing just to see how it works, and now I can't get it to work again. It warms up and everything. I'm energizing it with a battery charger, and I get spark at the charger clamp when I complete the connection, so I believe it should work. I just can't get it to work the choke.

Any advice, or support?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Sep 6th, 05, 12:34 AM
Lifetime Premium Member
Jim

Default Re: Quadrajet Electric Choke

I usually set it so the choke plate just barely closes @ 70 or so deg. Does that help?

77 Monte
385- AFR 190's Clay Smith solid--200-4r w/ 3.73's
67 Imp.SS for the wife 275 hp 327-TH350

http://myweb.midco.net/77cruiser/
Old Sep 6th, 05, 1:23 AM
Senior Tech Team

I wish I could say "yes".

70 deg angle?
Old Sep 6th, 05, 1:33 AM
mod since about forever, old now :)
TerribleTom II

sounds like you missed the link to the choke with the bi-metal coil inside the cap. pop it out, look again. the end of the coil has sort of a C-shaped tail, the link to the choke mechanism go in that C. Did you install the little link that goes inside the carb body, the shaft coming out of the choke housing goes into it after passing through the outside wall of the main body.

I think he meant 70 degrees Farenheit, something I won't be seeing any time soon here in Phx.
Old Sep 6th, 05, 1:54 AM
Senior Tech Team

Hi Tom,

That was my first guess on the 70 degrees Farenheit. I knew he meant either that or a 70 deg angle. Take your pick kind of thing.

The choke links are installed and hooked up in the body, and i've had the choke on and off several times, always making sure that the choke goes around the link inside the housing. I can rotate the choke (like the way it would be adjusted) and can get the choke to go on and off, but don't know what orientation to set it to for a baseline adjustment, just to make sure it works.

I might just set the choke so it stays open for now and try the carb out sometime during the day tomorrow. I hope it works. I mistakingly tampered with the primary metering adjustment screw for the primary piston, and set it to 3.5 turns out for an initial adjustment. Think that will work? Will the air horn gasket be reusable if I have to go in and readjust?
Old Sep 6th, 05, 6:14 AM
Lifetime Premium Member
Mike

The airhorn gasket will be okay if you have to open things back up once or twice.

For a baseline, I rotate the black cap until the choke closes, then rotate it the other way until it just opens. I lock it down there. This is assuming 70 degrees or so.

3.5 turns will probably get you close on the APT.
Old Sep 6th, 05, 10:51 AM
Lifetime Premium Member
Jim

Yea 70 deg. F. that's a warm day up here.

77 Monte

Old Sep 6th, 05, 10:59 AM
Senior Tech Team

Yeah, been getting pretty unseasonably warm in southern MN lately. Lower 90's...... Maybe warm again this weekend. BTW, it's about 70 degrees here right now.

Thanks for the tips on the rest of the carb.

I found a decent link about modifying Q-Jet's to work on engines with larger cams. http://www.corvettefaq.com/c3/myqjet.htm I wonder now if this carb will even work decent on my engine. It currently has a 244 @ .050" cam, which according to that link will make the carb run bad.
Old Sep 6th, 05, 11:10 AM
Lifetime Premium Member
Jim

It adjusts your part throttle (cruise) A/F ratio. The 3.5 turns that Mike said will get you started.

77 Monte

Old Sep 6th, 05, 1:46 PM
Senior Tech Team

I set the choke like you told me and I hooked it up to the battery charger. It does work!
Old Sep 6th, 05, 8:40 PM
Tech Team

Q-Jet info----> http://www.florida4x4.com/tech/quadrajet/

Pat

Pro Street Full Fendered '27 Ford T Coupe -392 Hemi with Hilborn injection
'27 Ford T Tudor Sedan -V-6
'68 El Camino 406
'87 Mustang GT convert -302
Trike Shop -VW Trike -1835
'93 S-10 4X4 Blazer (Hey! it snows here) Oops! it's a parts car now
Old Sep 6th, 05, 9:44 PM
Senior Tech Team

Thanks for that link!

Put the carb on the grain truck today. Figured since it has a Performer intake, I might as well test it out on that. It's a very mild 355. I am very impressed with the Q-Jet. The last one that I ran was a 4MV with no choke linkage or linkage from the vacuum canister to the secondary air valve. Never could get it working. It came from a local dirt track racer, don't know if it was ever used in that application. I should see what it has for tuning parts in it. Probably stock, not too many Q-Jet tuners around here that I know of. Anyways, I thought this carb worked good today, right from bolting it on. APT screw was adjusted out 3.5 and idle mixture screws were adjusted out 3.5. I'm anxious to see how it works on the 383. I have to get a manifold for it yet, though. Unless, is their a way to bolt it up to a Stealth intake?

I took the truck out to the corner and back tonight. I thought it was underpowered, but then remembered that I forgot about something. The electric choke wasn't wired up, so the secondary lock was on and I didn't have the secondaries. As I was driving it I thought that I would come on here and tell the symptoms (the secondaries don't feel like they're coming on), but then I forgot about that secondary lock. That carb has fairly small primaries on it too (also the fact that it's a spreadbore), so it wasn't too powerful with the front two. I managed to rig a throttle system up with a spring, temporarily, so there is a little play in the pedal. I just wanted to see if the carb worked, and wanted to be able to move the truck around.
Old Sep 6th, 05, 10:07 PM
Senior Tech Team

Just thought i'd add. I had to pull the carb off right away because I wasn't getting any fuel out of the carb. Found that for some reason the float rod was sitting on top of the float linkage instead of through it. Got that fixed, got it assembled, and saw that I forgot the float bowl filler piece, so had to take the top back off again. Then I put it back on the truck. It was the first time that I had fuel to the carb. After I got it running I noticed that the air horn gasket surface in front was wet, where it protrudes out of the carb. I took the 1/4" nut driver with torx bit and snugged the front screw up a bit more. Not sure if i'm getting any more moisture out from the gasket area at all. I'll check tomorrow.

Another thing I found was a vacuum leak. There is a hole in the front above the filter boss that comes from the right, and goes up and towards the center at a slight angle. At first I heard the noise and I found that the PCV hose wasn't hooked up. After I hooked that up, I still heard the noise. Then while hooking the valve up into the valve cover, I saw the hole. And after restarting the engine, I felt a good amount of vacuum from that hole. I managed to use a vacuum plug (that would be used on a vacuum fitting) and pushed it in the hole with the closed end in so it stuck in there, and it sealed it up good.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Chevelle Tech > Mechanical > Engine      Current Topic: Quadrajet Electric Choke
Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.