1966 Racing Stripes ??? - Chevelle Tech
Chevelle Tech join team chevelle as a supporting member  
Chevelle Parts at SS396.com      
GROUND UP & SS396.com         
Official Sponsor of Team Chevelle

Auto Insurance

Chevelles.com is the premier Chevrolet Chevelle Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Body Shop Paint & Body Forum

Old Aug 31st, 05, 5:34 AM

Question 1966 Racing Stripes ???

I have a 1966 chevy elky with a brand new eng and trans, i did the steering and the wiring, and i will be ready to paint it withen the next 2 months, however i want to paint it a light blue with racing stripes.

The problem i am having is, is there racing stripes for that year, does chevrolet have there own racing stripes, or is it more on prefreance?

Does any body have a picture of there elky with racing stripes ?? so i can see it and show my paint guy? Or of anyone has any suggestions or send me in the right dicrection.

Thanks
-chevy66elky
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Aug 31st, 05, 11:51 AM
Lifetime Premium Member
Tony

Default Re: 1966 Racing Stripes ???

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chevy66elky
The problem i am having is, is there racing stripes for that year, does chevrolet have there own racing stripes, or is it more on prefreance?
Owner preference...
"Chevrolet" did not have stripes on the 66. There was just a small available pinstripe down the side (not sure on El Caminos), but no hood stripes...

Same for 1967-1969 Chevelles. There were small stripes on the sides, but no "factory" racing stripes until the 1970 SS... Doesn't mean individuals or even dealers didn't add stripes later...

For the 66, it personal choice. I have seen a few that used the SS hood, and had two stripes that went right through where the hood scoops are located, and they looked okay, as well as some that had larger stripes (similar to 1970+) that were wider and incorporated larger stripes on the hood... IMO, nothing that goes over the roof or on the tailgate...
TC #1366
'70 Chevelle 427 Stroker
'66 Convertible Sold
Dual Quad 396 & Conv Int
'66 SS L78
Old Jan 19th, 12, 8:33 PM
Tech Team
Hunter

Talking Re: 1966 Racing Stripes ???

Pictures of side stripe?
Old Jan 19th, 12, 8:54 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Jay

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1966-aztec-bronze View Post
Pictures of side stripe?
No side stripe either. Stripes didn't come out till 68 and they were on the lowest side of the body. In 69 they had the side stripes like mine but I believe you could special order or have the dealer install the 70 style stripes on the 69. With light blue paint I don't think you would need stripes.
http://i1172.photobucket.com/albums/...chevelle69.jpg
Other cars-
2009 Audi S8 5.2 V10
2009 Cadilac Escalade 6.2 V8
Mint 1994 Ford F-350 351 5.8
Old Jan 19th, 12, 10:29 PM
Tech Team
Tom

Quote:
Originally Posted by 69chevelless3964speed View Post
No side stripe either. Stripes didn't come out till 68 and they were on the lowest side of the body. In 69 they had the side stripes like mine but I believe you could special order or have the dealer install the 70 style stripes on the 69. With light blue paint I don't think you would need stripes.
Are you refering to elky's specifically of just chevelles in general? Because in 67, the were available side stripes for SS chevelles.
Old Jan 19th, 12, 10:32 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Jay

Just to the chevelles. Did they have them on 67 velles?
http://i1172.photobucket.com/albums/...chevelle69.jpg
Other cars-
2009 Audi S8 5.2 V10
2009 Cadilac Escalade 6.2 V8
Mint 1994 Ford F-350 351 5.8
Old Jan 19th, 12, 11:07 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Jeff

Short answer on the 66 Chevelle and Elc. is that there were no factory installed stripes of any kind offerred. There was a proposal for a special 66 4-door sport sedan package that would have included side pin stripes, but it was never built.

All 67 SS's (coupes and verts) had a vinyl tape double stripe along the lower side body line as a standard part of the SS option. It has been debated on here before whether a 67 SS could be ordered "stripe delete". I've never seen anything in any Chev. literature referring to a stripe delete option. I think it is more likely that people just had the dealer peel them off if they did not want them.

There was also an optional side stripe (RPO D96) available on the 67 SS which was wider than the standard SS stripe and included curved pieces that went just above each wheel opening.

Pre production GM styling photos of the 67 SS show it without the lower tape stripe and instead with a thin pin stripe on the upper body line. I have never seen any evidence that any production cars were actually built that way. In those styling photos the grill is also painted different from the production cars, and the taillight trim and rear body trim are completely different from the production cars too.

With all that said, of course any given dealer could have had a guy come in and add pin stripes for a fee if the cutomer wanted them. But that would not be a factory option.

Good luck with your paint job!
-65 SS Convertible (Red)
-65 300 2-dr Wagon, Modified (Tuxedo Black)

-66 SS L78 Coupe (Marina Blue), unrestored
-66 SS L34/M20 Survivor Coupe (Aztec Bronze) - 'Vintage Legend' Certified (Survivor 66 Picture Album)
-66 SS Convertible (Marina Blue)- "LOADED"

-67 SS L78 Survivor Coupe (Grenada Gold)
-67 SS L34/M21 Survivor Coupe (Tahoe Turquoise)
-67 SS L34/M20 Convertible (Bolero Red)
-67 ElCamino L35/M20 (Butternut Yellow)
-67 Concours Station Wagon (Mountain Green)

-67 Camaro SS350 Survivor (Grenada Gold)- 'Vintage Legend' Certified by the American Camaro Association

Last edited by jeffschevelle; Jan 19th, 12 at 11:24 PM.
Old Jan 20th, 12, 1:54 PM
Tech Team
Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffschevelle View Post
Short answer on the 66 Chevelle and Elc. is that there were no factory installed stripes of any kind offerred. There was a proposal for a special 66 4-door sport sedan package that would have included side pin stripes, but it was never built.

All 67 SS's (coupes and verts) had a vinyl tape double stripe along the lower side body line as a standard part of the SS option. It has been debated on here before whether a 67 SS could be ordered "stripe delete". I've never seen anything in any Chev. literature referring to a stripe delete option. I think it is more likely that people just had the dealer peel them off if they did not want them.

There was also an optional side stripe (RPO D96) available on the 67 SS which was wider than the standard SS stripe and included curved pieces that went just above each wheel opening.

Pre production GM styling photos of the 67 SS show it without the lower tape stripe and instead with a thin pin stripe on the upper body line. I have never seen any evidence that any production cars were actually built that way. In those styling photos the grill is also painted different from the production cars, and the taillight trim and rear body trim are completely different from the production cars too.

With all that said, of course any given dealer could have had a guy come in and add pin stripes for a fee if the cutomer wanted them. But that would not be a factory option.

Good luck with your paint job!
Thanks!!
Old Jan 21st, 12, 12:49 AM
Team Member
Bo

Personal preference, but I don't think stripes look good on any velle or camino earlier than 68.

Sent from my Autoguide iPhone app
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Chevelle Tech > General Tech Area > Body Shop      Current Topic: 1966 Racing Stripes ???
Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.