Starting an engine that hasn't been started for a while - Chevelle Tech
Chevelle Tech join team chevelle as a supporting member  
Chevelle Parts at SS396.com      
GROUND UP & SS396.com         
Official Sponsor of Team Chevelle

Auto Insurance

Chevelles.com is the premier Chevrolet Chevelle Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Chevelle Tech General Tech Area
Please try and post in specific forums

Old Aug 17th, 05, 5:17 PM
Tech Team

Send a message via AIM to OUChevelleSS
Default Starting an engine that hasn't been started for a while

My engine hasn't been started in five weeks, but it ran fine when I parked it. I just never had to take it anywhere.

I'm trying to get it ready to move up to school on Friday (well, that was my goal), and I found I had to replace basically my whole charging system.

I know its hard to start engines that have sat a while, but this one just isn't doing too well. I've tried giving it a few pumps of gas and starting, tried just cranking it regularly, tried starting it like it was flooded, holding it open a little bit, etc.

Any tips on how I should do this? I don't think anything is wrong with it, just not firing up. Maybe I should spray some starter fluid down there or something? Thanks..

'71 SS 350, Black w/ white stripes, now a '71 SS 454! Brodix Race Rite heads w/CNC, SRP pistons, ~10.2:1CR, 402A3LUN Solid cam, Edelbrock Performer RPM intake, Holley 850cfm double pumper, Tremec TKO-600 and a 4.11 posi 12-bolt rear.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Aug 17th, 05, 5:44 PM
Senior Tech Team
Roland

Default Re: Starting an engine that hasn't been started for a while

Start it like you normally do! Five weeks is not long at all. Maybe your gas is bad, but after 5 weeks, I just can't see it. Gas can't be that much CRAP nowadays.

The only hard thing about starting an engine that has sat is cranking it long enough for oil pressure and to fill the float bowls. That is probably your problem. Crank it for 20-30 seconds or so, then start as normal.

-Ayn Rand
Old Aug 17th, 05, 11:11 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Jason

Send a message via Yahoo to 136679ss

uh, start and go, five weeks is just like you drove it yesterday. In the winter I only start the cars in the garage once a month let run five minutes. The 327 engine I pulled from my project was seized, had not run in 8+ years had ****e loads of stuff inside.....1. changed oil, 2. poured mystery oil in each cylinder 3. turned by hand after working the crank for 2 days and retapping snapped off harmonic bolt. 4. reprimed oil pump with ground down distributor 5. hooked up parts and 12 vdc. 6. ignition after fresh gas. barely even a puff of smoke, then I tore it completely apart and gave it away. seriously just start and go. JN
TC#2693
Aces# 7467
Heart of Dixie CC
Old Aug 18th, 05, 1:33 AM
Lifetime Premium Member

Just get in and start it normally, it probably wont start normallly because it has sat that long but you wont hurt anything. Thats what I do when it sits all winter. It will take some extra cranking.

When the Boogeyman goes to bed, he checks the closet for Chuck Norris.

If it aint broke, just give me a minute.
Old Aug 18th, 05, 3:04 AM
Lifetime Premium Member
Greg

Send a message via AIM to undee70ss

As I said in the electrical forum, if you want it to start right away after the car has sat for a while, fill the bowls first with a squirt bottle. If you are having trouble starting it the plugs may be fouled.

MY 70SS
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Chevelle Tech > Information Exchange > Chevelle Tech      Current Topic: Starting an engine that hasn't been started for a while
Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.