Team Chevelle banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Re-Curving H.E.I. Dist.

4K views 8 replies 5 participants last post by  1968 hot rod 
#1 ·
Does anyone know were I can send my distributor to, to have it re-curved on a dist. machine? So that I can drop it in set initial timming and go. Thanks.

#2 ·
do you know what curve you need? If not, Id suggest figuring that out first. Get your idle timing worked out so that you know for sure what initial it needs to start and idle right.

Then, work on total timing to find out what it likes for a total(full throttle performance).

Once you find those two numbers(obviously independant of each other at this point), then you know exactly how much mechanical advance needs to be dialed into the curve.

If you just send it to have a typical "high performance" curve dialed in....theres no gaurantee it will be right.

Another reason I say sort it out first is because you might be able to just grab some off the shelf weights and centers and curve it yourself.

The factory #375 center and #41 weights provide about 20 to 22 degrees advance. Meaning, you can set total somewhere between 34-38, and initial will fall somewhere between 12 and 18.

The MSD kit is said to give the same amount of advance with their weights and center(20ish degrees). If your engine likes that curve...you can buy the kit for about 20 bucks and not worry about paying to have somebody curve it or sending the dizzy somewhere.

I intended to have the MSD weights and center in mine before winter fell. Too many other things came up and Im not working on it now til this fridig winter weather breaks. So unfortunately....I have yet to confirm the numbers, but it is what Im "told".

#3 ·
Sounds like a plan, thanks for your help. Same here I live in Indiana, and we are gettin hammered with a snowstorm right now, just trying to prepare myself for Spring. I just got my engine running late in fall, all new rebuild, did not have time to dial it in before winter. Have a nice Holiday.

#4 ·
Thanks man, you have a good holiday too! Sorry I couldnt reccomend somebody. The only guy I can think of is Dave Ray(posts on the net as ignitionman). He is the only guy I can think of off the top of my head that would have all the equipment to plot it right. And I know he would do the job right.

I know he advertises his services as small body HEI conversions though, so Im not sure if he takes on any jobs outside of the norm that he advertises. He may though.

Tell you what, I plan to do mine after the holidays and after the weather breaks(which might be a little while). If I have mine finished(with the msd weights and center) before you make a move on yours, I'll let you know what the advance curve ends up looking like when its all done. If the numbers jive with what yours ends up liking....you can grab up one of their HEI curve kits for under 20 bucks I beleive.

A few other companies make an HEI curve kit also, but I have no clue what kind of numbers they supposedly provide. Probably out there somewhere on the net though.

Wonder if GM has a kit? They make those HEI distributors for their hi performance crate engines, and they have a pretty favorable curve that might work too(if they sell the components seperately)

#5 ·
You will have to weld up the mech advance slot to limit the mech advance. HEI's were calibrated for smog-control engines that need way more mech advance than non-smog enginges need. It usually involves welding, run on the machine, file with a rat-tale file, re-calibrate, file, etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.