Team Chevelle banner

Could these exhaust manifolds be from a numbers matching car

1K views 5 replies 5 participants last post by  Verle 
#1 ·
Hi everyone, i've purchased a 70 chevelle ss that is to be numbers matching. I'm currently tearing it down to get the engine rebuild (the vin in stamped in the front pad) car had 1 repaint and all signs show its original or looks like it. The manufacture date is june 1970 but when pulling the exhaust manifolds they are dated E6 70 (left) and D21 70 (right) would it be normal for the exhaust manifolds to have diff. dates..... 2nd part is could the heads also then have different dates? :beers:

#3 ·
The manufacture date is june 1970
Is that the Assembly Date for the car or the engine? The engine's front pad is stamped with the exact Assembly Date. Obviously the original manifolds couldn't have been cast after the engine assembly date... I'd say 16 days would be a byte much on a small block (since so many were built), they may be okay for a Big Block.

#5 ·
Thanks for the responses, its an oshawa built car....would this also apply towards the heads? i had pulled the covers off a bit a go can't recall the exact dates but they were not the same date... i will be checking dates to make sure and will post.

#6 ·
Yes, heads are usually different dates. Workers had no interest/incentive to do anything like that. They just used the next available parts.

Exhaust manifolds were installed at the engine plant and were painted when the engine was painted. The paint quickly burned off when the engine was run a little while.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.