Team Chevelle banner

Home remedies-- Welder?s Flash, arc flash,arc eye, flash burn

185K views 42 replies 37 participants last post by  lbaker06 
#1 ·
Home remedies-- Welder’s Flash, arc flash,arc eye, flash burn

My son called early this morning with arc flash burn to his eyes. As soon as the Dctor's office is open he will be there.

It's been years since I received reflective flash burn to the eyes but I haven't forgot the intense pain. He was wanting to know of any home remedies to relieve the pain. I've heard sliced potatoes, milk and wet tea bags.

Anyone have home remedies they would care to share?

Man, I feel for him. :(

#31 ·
Re: Home remedies-- Welder’s Flash, arc flash,arc eye, flash burn

Great tip on the white shirt, thanks!

I just started getting into welding and know enough to wear a helmet every time I weld. I also am very safety conscious and wear a clear face shield when I am using the angle grinder or bench grinder.

Unfortunately, I forgot to switch my clear shield with my auto-dimming weld helmet and caught about 1/2 second of flash when I started to weld. Took a couple minutes to get rid of that greenish/purplish large dot in the middle of my vision. Luckily, I never got that sandy feeling in my eyes, but I was waiting for it to happen.

#32 ·

I was a welder for 30yrs. Eye drops called Welders eaze works well. In a pinch tea and tea bags have a soothing affect. keep eyes wet and DO NOT RUB. Wear saftey glasses they will deflect a lot of the indirect flash.

#34 ·

Many years ago I set out to do a lot of tigging on stainless using a very dark pair of goggles and a short sleeve shirt. Man, I got the worst skin burn on my face, neck and arms I had ever had in my life. I learned the hardway, and have always worn a helmet and leather welding jacket after that. The UV rays will eat you up!

#36 ·

My buddy used to swear by canned milk as a eye wash. I've had mild cases but never bad enough to try it. I did learn to keep all exposed skin covered while TIG welding. I was a real red neck untill I attached a small flap of leather to the bottom of my helmet, V-neck tshirts and welding don't mix.

#38 · (Edited)

That is a once and learn not to do it again moment! Here's a scary story, I knew a guy who's brother was welding a dune buggy frame up, couldn't find the hood and was in a hurry, "I only have a little welding to do", so away he went. Did about 30-60 seconds with his friggin eyes OPEN! Well, his eyes skinned over and they scarred with a white overlay and he has about 10% vision and sees like he's in fog permanently. Terrible price to pay!!

Also worked with a welder from Mexico, he worked on high rises and no helmet/shield! They were taught to get the rod close, shut your eyes and "feel" the weld. We all hate Osha but man this was insane. I always caught him trying to weld like that and made him wear a shield.

#41 ·

I was a welders helper in 79 and got flashed, thin sliced raw potatoes laying over my closed eyes did work for me, I was working 7am-1am a couple days a week and it happened at night, I called my welder friend I was his helper, he told me about the potatoe thing, old welder dude, it worked, I remember that pain, feel for you.

#42 ·

ive been welding since i was 10..my dad was a pipe fitter and taught us early..i have never flashed myself, but others have.

recently i started selling pulse migs for aluminum and bronze silicate...and one guy flashed me bad..

like most..i woke up at 2 in the morning..couldnt open or close them with out pain..got up went to CVS and bought

Systane night time ointment

i thought id try it..i used it for dry eyes..as i age..my eyelids relax and i get dry eye bad at night if theres a fan on..anyway

after suffering for a few hrs.and know what was coming..i tried it...

it took me 5 minutes to get home..i applied it and in 10 minutes i was back asleep...the heat from my eyes and the dry excruciating pain ive gone thru in the past..gone..amazing..

its thick gooey stuff..ointment..in the eye care section..and is the most amazing stuff i ever used..

worked for me...now have it in the car and in the medicine cabinet..its not a fluke..it works...

#43 ·

What really happens with arc eye. When your eyes fell like sandpaper the arc flash has created tiny blisters on your eyes in which it causes EXTREME PAIN and can last from a few hours to a week and more depending on severity:crying:. It all depend on prolonged exposure. If the irritation and pain lasts longer than 24 hours then I would recommend an ophthalmologist appointment. Also some of these people said potatoes too. Take a potato or two and slice into 1/8" pieces and place into a pitcher of ice water and keep it in your fridge before AND after you weld. The potatoes have a chemical and the density that naturally absorbs the heat and swelling on your eyes. Ibuprofen and Advil are recommended only if the eyes are causing a migraine or any other irritation.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.