Team Chevelle banner

th400 transbrake install

17K views 29 replies 10 participants last post by  Jebchevelle 
#1 ·
We had our second MSRA race on Memorial Day and as soon as I got home, the car was on the stands to be ready to take the trans out.

The trans is now out and on the bench and I've begun the install process.

I've never worked on a th400 internally before, so I'm learning as I go. It's not near as bad to work on as I had thought all these years. I'm enjoying learning how to work on is as I intend to try and be able to maintence the transmission from here on out.

Anyway, all the parts came in and I should be able to button the trans up in about 2 hours or so.

I won't make it to test this weekend, but may try for the following.

Parts used during the install are:

- Griner Pro Start trans brake (internal solenoid)

- ATI forget/billet forward clutch hub

- ATI gasket/seal kit

- PTC 8" converter

- MSD 8735 3 step "Launch Control"

- Biondo "Double O" button

See less See more
#5 ·
Here is a link to Jakeshoe's excellent rebuild article. Replace anything that is worn and blow everything off with the air nozzle before you put it in. You can put the pump together without the giant hose clamp, but having one makes it easier. With a TB, you will be throwing a lot of parts in the "save-for-future-projects" bin.

#8 ·
No full rebuild this time around. This was basically a valve body swap and looking at the direct drum to see if the mods needed for the t-brake were done or not. The .063" bleed hole was already there, so I just installed the 16 heavy return springs and checked the clutch pack clearances. I also replaced the direct drum seals since I took the piston out.

Clutches and steels looked pretty darn good for 250+ passes, so for now it's going back together as is.

Over the winter I'll do a more in depth freshening, but for now I just wanted to get my feet wet so to speak.

Only parts thrown away were some seals, old softer return springs and the previous ATI reverse manual valve body. No other parts were removed/deleted as the ATI rev/man was setup identical to the Griner brake in terms of no case mods, intermediate band/servo deleted and rear servo accumulator seals deleted.

#14 ·
Nope, and some are actually a brake on the rear of the trans. Kind of like the parking brakes on some big trucks.

:thumbsup: Looks good Todd!

I built myself a fixture for holding the trans, it is similiar to the Kentmoore piece a big "C" that goes into the case lugs, then I can hang it on my engine stand. If your gonna be tearing into this thing here and there it's worth buying or building one.

Here's a link to one on ebay.......I just built mine. Cheaper :D

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/_Aut...adiZ2871QQcmdZViewItem?hash=item270240957236&

#16 ·
I purchased the Griner brake for one reason only. It's the quickest out there. As slow as I seem to be, i need all the help I can get. :clonk:

Also, I read way too many posts on racing boards where the stock modulator valve sticks/binds in it's bore. The internal solenoid design should eliminate that issue.

#18 ·
Also, I read way too many posts on racing boards where the stock modulator valve sticks/binds in it's bore. The internal solenoid design should eliminate that issue.
I'm a bit confused by this^ comment, because I thought that all valve bodies that come with transbrakes are manual valve bodies, and therefore do NOT use a vacuum modulator valve. :confused: Is it possible to have a transbrake on an automatic valvebody which also uses a vacuum modulator valve? Perhaps there's a slang terminology issue going on here that I'm not aware of.

And while we're on the topic of transbrake solenoids, let me ask if any of you have ever had a problem with them leaking trans fluid. If so, would an internal transbrake solenoid like Todd has also eliminate such a problem? And BTW, if an extrnal transbrake solenoid does leak, would it merely be a matter of unscrewing it from the trans, and applying thread sealer, and re-installing it to stop the leakage?

#17 ·
Trans is all done and back in one piece. Also installed the trans last night. Only thing left mechanically is to put fuel back in the cell, fire the engine and set the trans fluid level.

Next project is the wiring side and fabricating a nice button mount for the shifter.

#19 ·
hm I wonder billy I always thought they were manual as well its what has stoped me from putting a trans break on my car. I have a button and noid lol just didnt know how to make it work with a standerd valve body. any way hope someone answers this.

#20 ·
I think what Todd is referring to is that some internal brakes on the t-400 use the electric kick down/modulator solenoid that was OEM equipment to act as the trans brake solenoid. Many trans companies have modified this solenoid to work as a brake solenoid. And if I remember correctly the external solenoid is retained by a plate and sealed with an o-ring. I don't think it threads in.

#21 ·
Billy, The external solenoid trans brakes (probalbly 90% of the current market) all use a solenoid in place of the vacuum modulator. The modulator valve is inside the case behind the modulator an is what the t-brake solenoid moves to operate the t-brake.

Jeb, You cannot simply add a solenoid to a stock/manual valve body. These other companies are modifying a stock valve body for t-brake use. You also have to drill a .063" hole in the direct drum as well as installing 16 heavy return springs on the direct piston.

To my knowledge, the Griner is the only internal solenoid brake currently on the market.

#22 ·
Billy, The external solenoid trans brakes (probalbly 90% of the current market) all use a solenoid in place of the vacuum modulator. The modulator valve is inside the case behind the modulator an is what the t-brake solenoid moves to operate the t-brake.

Jeb, You cannot simply add a solenoid to a stock/manual valve body. These other companies are modifying a stock valve body for t-brake use. You also have to drill a .063" hole in the direct drum as well as installing 16 heavy return springs on the direct piston.

To my knowledge, the Griner is the only internal solenoid brake currently on the market.
ATI too

#27 ·
The installation/conversion is now DONE.

Completed the t-brake button mount and wiring this afternoon. I tested both the burnout and high side rev limiters, but did not try the t-brake itself other than checking reverse which requires the t-brake button to be pushed to back up.

Now I gotta find some time to go out and test.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.