Team Chevelle banner

ETec 200, FastBurn, or Large Port Vortec for my 400?

11K views 34 replies 20 participants last post by  fridgeguy 
#1 ·
Well all this time I've been planning a "budget" rebuild for my 400 small block, that keeps getting less and less budget :) Now, I'm thinking about moving out of the current Vortec 906 heads. Here's the combo so far:

-400 SBC, .040" over
New balanced rotating assembly, Eagle crank & rods, KB pistons 22cc dish makes 9.8:1 w/ --64cc heads
-Lunati Hydraulic Roller BareBones 10021, 232/242 @ .050, .507 lift w/1.5 rockers (could go 1.6 if I want)
-TH350 with 3000 stall converter
-12 bolt rear with 4.10 gears posi

So, been doing a little comparsion shopping, the Edelbrock seem to claim themsleves champs of the group, but I'm not sure what to think. At this point, I don't really care about a small cost difference, just want the most out of my new combo. Considering the following heads:

1) Large port vortecs iron (not the stock vortec but the GMPP 206cc runner). 65/66 cc chambers, puts compression at about 9.7:1 depending on final chamber vol. $1000/set
2) Fast Burn GM aluminum (200cc runner). 62cc chambers (advertised), should get almost 10:1 with thse $1280/set
3) Edelbrock ETec 200 cc aluminum, 64cc chambers, should be 9.8:1 with these $1100/set (if they have them in stock, if not $1200/set)
4) Also, I'm seeing a 225cc large port Vortec in the GM catalog, PN 25534446. Says it flows 281 @.600 lift, 65cc chambers, $1000/set. Is this really different than #1?
4) Other, please suggest? I've got an almost brand new AirGap Vortec intake, so I'd like to stick with this config, but YEAH, I CAN change this if I want to...

Also, anybody know of better place to get better prices on any of these heads? I live in Lubbock and can deal locally with Scoggin Dickey, but have to pay sales tax so the shipping cost savings gets spent that way.

Thanks in advance!

See less See more
#2 ·
I like the Brodix IK 200's for a budget big inch small block. :D

#3 ·
I have Victor Jr 64cc's on my 377 (400 block) and love them. They have the 215cc runners and 2.08 int & 1.60 exh valves. I got them without springs so I could use the springs made for the cam. They use standard intake manifolds which are plenty cheap, even with victor intakes. Just another possiblility.

#10 ·
hey guys i think he is looking at vortec style heads because he has a vortec style intake allready. because he says hes movin out of his 906s. id do either of the large port vortecs. go with the larger ones if you decide you want to do upgrades later and the smaller ones if you think you will stick with this combo or somthing similar

#11 ·
Yeah, kind of what Matt said, I could change intakes if there was a similarly priced head that would make a big performance difference, but to go to AFR's is going to be $250+ over what I'm looking at, plus changing intakes, just seems like it adds up to close to $500 difference for little performance difference.

I'm kind of torn between the Etec 200's and the large port Vortecs right now....

#16 ·
OK guys, one more round here: I can get AFR 1054 model 210cc race port (not competition port) heads close enough to what I need to spend, any input on those heads with the rest of this combo? Or would another (similarly priced) AFR head work better?

THANKS!

#35 ·
See my sig for my hp/tq #'s with Competition 195 Eliminators. You will not go wrong with the AFR's. I can posy my dyno results if you like.

#21 ·
Im running AFR195's on my 406(rest of setup in sig). My build is for road racing but also street. After building this combo my suggestions to you would be:

If your rotating assembly is forged, internally balanced and mains studded I'd be wanting the AFR210's. Only questionable part is your compression and cam with 210's. The combo will work but ideally you'll be missing out on alot of high end(6000-7000rpm) HP with that medium cam.

Use eliminator 195's, RPM intake and make 475-500hp only spinning it to 6000rpm.

To save the most cash I would go with the 206cc Vortecs or Fast Burn heads. I havnt read alot about the Etecs but with what I have they seem to be designed more as a street performance head. A 200cc runner is still going to make great power(500hp) but I would bet Etecs would be down minimum 50hp to AFRs or 25hp peak to Vortecs or Fast Burns with the right cam.

#22 ·
Well all this time I've been planning a "budget" rebuild for my 400 small block, that keeps getting less and less budget :) Now, I'm thinking about moving out of the current Vortec 906 heads. Here's the combo so far:

-400 SBC, .040" over
New balanced rotating assembly, Eagle crank & rods, KB pistons 22cc dish makes 9.8:1 w/ --64cc heads
-Lunati Hydraulic Roller BareBones 10021, 232/242 @ .050, .507 lift w/1.5 rockers (could go 1.6 if I want)
-TH350 with 3000 stall converter
-12 bolt rear with 4.10 gears posi

So, been doing a little comparsion shopping, the Edelbrock seem to claim themsleves champs of the group, but I'm not sure what to think. At this point, I don't really care about a small cost difference, just want the most out of my new combo. Considering the following heads:

1) Large port vortecs iron (not the stock vortec but the GMPP 206cc runner). 65/66 cc chambers, puts compression at about 9.7:1 depending on final chamber vol. $1000/set
2) Fast Burn GM aluminum (200cc runner). 62cc chambers (advertised), should get almost 10:1 with thse $1280/set
3) Edelbrock ETec 200 cc aluminum, 64cc chambers, should be 9.8:1 with these $1100/set (if they have them in stock, if not $1200/set)
4) Also, I'm seeing a 225cc large port Vortec in the GM catalog, PN 25534446. Says it flows 281 @.600 lift, 65cc chambers, $1000/set. Is this really different than #1?
4) Other, please suggest? I've got an almost brand new AirGap Vortec intake, so I'd like to stick with this config, but YEAH, I CAN change this if I want to...

Also, anybody know of better place to get better prices on any of these heads? I live in Lubbock and can deal locally with Scoggin Dickey, but have to pay sales tax so the shipping cost savings gets spent that way.

Thanks in advance!
I'd check with Mike lewis aka wolf place and see what he can do for you on a set of AFR 195's, they would be perfict for a HYD RR 400CI.

ITS most obvious he talking about the hypercracktics . The kb hypers have a bad rep. Im guessing you have read all the pros & cons .
All the KB's I have seen broken have been from people not reading the directions, and opening up the top ring. Thats the main reason I stay away from them, I don't like their theroy behind the high ring large gap. Other than that there not a bad piston if set up correctly.

#24 · (Edited)
I'm building a .020 over 400 with the large port Vortecs. As-cast, they look as good or better than most aftermarket heads, ports are relatively smooth and free of flash. Don't let the runner size scare you, remember that raised runner heads tend to have more volume due to length. You need to use either a dedicated Vortec intake or a raised runner piece, your choice. Perimeter or center bolt valve covers, too. The only thing I don't care for is the rocker stud setup - it's a small metric hole that uses a squirrely stud (3/8" top, metric bottom). I'm having mine drilled and tapped for 7/16 stud bases. We're gonna do a cam swap on the dyno, starting with a GM Hot Cam to see how it would be as a mild daily driver, then a 232/238 piece to see how it likes it. This engine is for my '81 4-speed Corvette, looking to build a cruiser/bruiser.

#26 ·
BTW, mine are P/N 25534445. GM revised it after initial release, made it bigger and picked up flow and power. Here's the only numbers I've found on 'em: http://www.fbparts.com/gmp SBC_head.htm 280cfm ain't bad for an iron head, out of the box, but I don't know how reliable those numbers are.

#27 ·
Busted Knuckles - Thanks, I was going to ask you about that. What kind of headers are you running? I'm assuming these are the D-port, so I may need special or 1-3/4" headers, right?

PS - Going to the football game today? I'm fixing to load my crew up for guns up :)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.