Team Chevelle banner

4-speed #s '68 SS396, 'farm find'

3K views 18 replies 17 participants last post by  daveschevyparts 
#1 ·
If this car can be bought anywhere near the $4200 the seller says he paid for it, and is relatively solid, I think it would be one hell of a good deal.

http://tinyurl.com/ldtcsc7

See less See more
#3 ·
Looks like he's intentionally not showing any low areas in his pictures. Also the cowl is rotted out around the trim tag.

It's a 325hp car, so it's not a big-money car restored either. I'd say $3k max based on what we can see in the ad.

#7 ·
Very bad pictures. As already said probably intentional. Looks like probably a rust bucket. "Farm Find" Is that a new term. Think I might prefer "Nice Dry Storage, Non Rust Producing, Non Mice & Rat Find"

#9 ·
The VIN tag is about to fall off into the cowl area.

#14 ·
He says the rear glass is missing, no picture of the rear. The rear glass probably just fell out.

What do you do about a trim tag that has to have metal replaced like that. As antsy as everyone is about this sort of thing, would be a problem later down the road?

#18 ·
Jackie, funny you m,entioned that. I did a reasembly of a 68 L78 Chevelle for a guy six years ago. He had his buddy drill out the trim tag when he sectioned a new cowl. Body guy filled the holes. I found the plate in a box of parts. He refused to let my put the tag back on the car because he didn'e want me to pull the hood and drill new holes.

The trim tag has been in my desk ever since. Some people never think they will have to sell anything.

#15 ·
Good call, I missed the rust 'hole' to the left of the trim tag.

I will say, though, that severe corrosion in localized areas can happen when a car is stored in a wet barn with a leaky roof, or under a pine tree. The car looks better than certain projects I have owned. I'd definitely have a look at it in person if I were in the market for a 68.

As usual, not a good idea to buy any 46-year-old anything sight unseen....

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.