Team Chevelle banner

Backup light/Neutral safety switch and Painless harness

2K views 7 replies 4 participants last post by  Cecil 
#1 ·
Greetings again! Here I go again trying to be cheap (and learn something as well). My 71 Sprint has what appears to be a single unit that functions both as a reverse light switch (it has a connector with pink and light green wire) and a neutral safety switch (another connector with purple and purple/white wires). My Painless TBI harness has a wire that should connect to ground only when the car is in park. Here's the switch they show:

My switch does not have the connector for "Orn/Blk" on this diagram. Am I going to have to buy a correct switch, or is there an easy way to wire this up properly?

Thanks.

See less See more
#3 ·
Dean said:
What is the wire that is suppose to ground out for?

Both switches on the NSS connect to hot wires.
As I understand it the wire iso tell the computer when the car is in park. I'm thinking I need to break down and buy the correct switch, it will be easier.

#7 ·
The recommended switch is not expensive but it’s not necessary. You can connect the orn/bk wire to the ppl/wh wire (IGN switch to NSS). If it were me I would get the switch.

The orn/bk wire, from the control module, needs to be grounded when the trans is in park. It will ground through the start solenoid. It's not a 0Ω ground but it is low enough to satisfy the control module needs. Power applied when starting will not damage the control module.

#8 ·
Elree Colby said:
The recommended switch is not expensive but it’s not necessary. You can connect the orn/bk wire to the ppl/wh wire (IGN switch to NSS). If it were me I would get the switch.

The orn/bk wire, from the control module, needs to be grounded when the trans is in park. It will ground through the start solenoid. It's not a 0Ω ground but it is low enough to satisfy the control module needs. Power applied when starting will not damage the control module.
For $12 at Napa, I'll get the switch. Seems best...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.