Team Chevelle banner

1967 SS barn find on CL

6K views 18 replies 16 participants last post by  PCB67SS 
#1 ·
I don't post here much but for some reason this car got my attention and it's not to far from me. Seem's a little high to me but it would be a nice fixer upper regardless. Whats your opinion?
http://stlouis.craigslist.org/cto/2848311848.html

#2 ·
i say it is a $5k car. it would take so much to restore even if you do it yourself for what you got in it you might as well just buy a finished one.
if you work all week you can only dedicate so much time 2-3 years to do a frame off. nice project to start off with. everyone thinks they got a golden car.

jim

#7 ·
not to rain on everyone's parade, but recently a red 66 was presented here and asking price was $15K and that seemed reasonable...this is a complete original A/C /bumper guarded/vinyl top bucket seat car....even out here in sunny California they arent that common especially a 138 vin car....

So I WOULD pay $10K for the right car....if it caught my fancy: color combo, etc. I have over 30K in my 1966 SS tribute car with a Mark Jones 625 hp 468...Dupont Jet black...and I started with a $3.2K Malibu. Most of the cost (over 15K) was in body/paint...

I bet the seller will drop the price to 9-10K....Newbie restorers wont be finding these cars much longer in this shape...

#9 ·
If it's close by, it's worth a look.

Restoreable, documented cars are hard to find.

You'll never know unless you look.

#10 ·
Seller is a dreamer at $12K. Why would someone pay $12K for that car when they could get a nice 67SS that is already restored for double that ($24K). I'm not saying one could purchase a show winner for $24K but they could get a pretty nice 67SS. If one bought that car for the asking price they could possibly have close to $50K into the car before it is done. By the sellers own admission it needs a complete restoration. Realisticly I think the seller could get maybe $7K for the car. Personaly I would pay in the neighborhood of $5K for it. From the looks of the interior it has lived in a pretty exposed barn for all those years and I would think there is a little more deterioration than the seller is revealing.

#11 ·
You are going to pay a premium for this car because of what it represents and would surely want to take it back as it was built new. Done right you are looking at about $40k and several years. Yes it is a 4 speed and A/C, which will be costly to restore and still may not blow less than 40* into a very hard to cool cabin, but one thing that lowers my excitement level is the color. No way I want $50K in a car that I do not like the looks of. On the other hand there are not many of these left.

#15 ·
I say 10k if it's the original engine and trans.

#17 ·
If that was near me I would be looking at it. The seller knows what the car is, and that it has value to the right person. The pictures don't show enough to say the asking price is fair, but the seller must start somewhere. You would need to find that the numbers mach to consider anything near the asking price. It could be a rust bucket, with NOM and a bad frame. It could also be a #'s matching unpolished jem. Take a look at it, and tell us what you find.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.