Team Chevelle banner

Jeep box upgrade-PICS-and then some...

390K views 799 replies 202 participants last post by  Todco 
#1 ·
So finally after a lot of reading/researching decided to upgrade to the jeep box. I had the day off from work but drove down and did it there so I could use the lifts, work benches, and the other unlimited resources a shop offers. Got a rebuilt jeep box from Autozone, rag join #200 from Advance auto, and Lee's hose adapters. All in all about $150.

First I used white out to mark the center/up position of the steering column where it attaches to the rag joint. Then drained the PS fluid and lines from the box.

Next I removed the bottom bolts of the St. box. I just loosend the top bolt so I could use it to swing upwards when removing the Pitman arm from the spline.

One needs to be replaced...

Removed the castle nut from the center link and nut from the pitman arm spindle. The nut for the pitman arm came off rather easily, but then again I was using a 3' 1/2" breaker bar

Using the pitman arm puller first I was able to separate it from the spline. After I swung the box upward and propped it up out of the way, this left me room to put the ball joint puller in there and pop that sucker loose. After that it was just the last bolt on the box, and she popped right out...

Something here seems out of place...

Work station...

See less See more
#344 · (Edited)
Ok, I finally got around to doing the JGC upgrade to my 71 Elco and have read forum post until my eyes bugged out :wacko:. 1st I want to thank everyone for great write-ups, photos and details.

I pulled my box from the local Pull-A-Part off a 98 JGC. Everything felt nice a tight. Did a power wash on it to get the grime off, used the air grinder with a small wire wheel to clean surface rust and painted it up nice with some semi gloss black Rustolium.

After reading all the post I could find on the subject here and elsewhere regarding the hoses, fittings, adapters and whatever else there was out there I went with none of the above. What I did was get a doner pressure hose from a mid 80's V6 Camaro while I was at the yard. No V8 doners available. $2 I think. I cut off the steering box end with about 3 inches to spare. Then I cut off the steering box end on my original steering box hose with flare fitting at about the same distance in. The Camaro hose had a slight bit more radius and all I had to do was put a bit of pressure on it to open it up to match my original hose. I went to Granger and picked up a stainless steel 3/8" compression union part # 1PZE9. I cleaned, de-burred and emery cloth sanded the ends I had cut and put it all together. This union is rated at around 6200 PSI and should be plenty to handle the pressure the pump puts out.

On the return side of the steering box I simply picked up a Duralast 39106 at Autozone and reattached the hose with the original clamp.

It all looks very nice. If you don't want to pay the premium for the SS harware at Granger $21-$25 you can get everything you need a NAPA in steel and brass coupling for $4.

The beauty is I am using the correct fitting on both ends, and the original hose that follows the original installation lines.

I'll post a picture of it completed when I am done this weekend.

#345 ·
When I do my 71 and 72 Monte's, I will look into what you have done here with the coupling, as the Monte Carlo hoses are quite different than the Chevlle/'80 Camaro hoses. Either this or the inserts.

All it take is money and time, ain't got no time now, let alone money!

#350 ·
Well, the junkyard box was a bust. The input shaft seal leaked non-stop. Just turning the wheels back and forth without the engine running would start a drip. No biggie, I just went ahead and ordered the Lares 1353 from RockAuto. What a deal! $56.79 + $50 core and $12.95 shipping. The thing showed up yesterday and looks great. They do a really nice paint job. Kinda looks like the Eastwood cast iron grey paint.

I got it put in this morning, but have not had a chance to take it out for a test drive yet.

Here's how it all looks with the SS union on the pressure side.

#351 ·
I just went ahead and ordered the Lares 1353 from RockAuto. What a deal! $56.79 + $50 core and $12.95 shipping.
Let's hope you actually got a box with the proper ratio and torsion-bar. It's not guaranteed with a rebuilt box.

#353 ·
It seems to be the correct ratio as it has a very good feel now. I think lock to lock is 3 1/4 to 3 1/2.

I will check it tonight as I have to recheck my bolts on the pump. I think I left something loose as I now have a slight leak from the bottom of the pump. I removed it with the intention of installing the metric O-ring fitting, but since I kept my original hose and used the SS union to add the metric O-ring connector on the box side I didn't change anything. I just think I forgot to re-tighten all the mounting bolts to the bracket.

Sorry the pic above disappeared, but I moved it to a sub folder on Photobucket and the link no longer worked. I can't seem to find the edit button on this forum to go back an update the link, so here it is again. I guess since someone quoted me the edit button on my post went away.

On another note... One thing that was really nice was getting my full turning radius back. I had originally put a Quick ratio GM box in and lost a lot of turning radius. This jGC box is the bomb!

#356 ·
I love that thing. You would not believe how many people who are not familiar with them ask me "What's the chain for?"

I just say "Man, you would not believe the power this beast makes... The chain is to prevent the motor from ripping the motor mount out when it torques over..." The dropped jaw and white of their eyes look is just priceless...:D

#357 ·
I've read through everything here, but I still have a question.

One post references a Lares 202 coupler, but most people say Lares 200 is the one to use. Someone also posted '1978 Camaro', which Rockauto shows to be Lares 205.

After reading through all these posts a bunch of times, I think Lares 200 is the right one, as it's the one that several have said they've used. Can someone please confirm before I order?

Also - how is the quality of the Lares piece? Why the big price differential vs Dorman?

#358 ·
Lares 200 is the CORRECT steering coupler. I get them from Advance Auto.
I've done this conversion at least a dozen times...parts to do it again on my Sprint are sitting on the work bench out in my shop right now. Gonna replace the center link and idler arm at the same time...just because it'll be apart.

#360 ·
I KNOW many, many people have used the Lee adapters with no issues. However, I just can't warm up to the idea of jamming a SAE thread into a hole tapped for metric threads.

I found that CPP sells adapters that are 11/16 thread inv flare to 18mm and 5/8" inverted flare to 16mm. I just ordered a pair. I'll let you all know how it works out. Figured I'd share this as an alternative for guys that want to keep stock hoses and don't want the press-in Lee adapters. The other "plus" for you guys running re-man parts store boxes is that these just unscrew if you happen to get a bad box. I don't know if the press-in inserts are reusable?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/55-56-57-CHEVY-605-670-500-STEERING-O-RING-ADAPTERS-/380338591248

#362 ·
I believe Weatherhead has something similar that is available at NAPA.

Am going to try a JGC box on my 71 Mustang (it actually uses a Saginaw box, so should be pretty close) and was going to use something like these as the hoses come straight up out of the box.

#364 ·
just my 2 cents worth.......... The adapters mentioned by "novadude"

http://www.ebay.com/itm/55-56-57-CHEVY-605-670-500-STEERING-O-RING-ADAPTERS-/380338591248

These are great ! just did the swap and for the $20 these cost, everything screwed tightly into place perfectly ! For anyone doing this in the future you should give these adapters serious consideration and should anything need to be changed in the future you can just unscrew them.

#367 ·
Mine are "in transit"; thanks again to Novadude.

#366 ·
Like Verle and many others I used Lee's inserts with no leaks or problems. I wouldn't call the meeting of the SAE and metric fittings "jamming" though. It's a tight fit with no hint or feel of thread interference.

#368 ·
I got the adapters a few weeks ago. Haven't tried them out yet, as the steering box and adapters are actually going to be given as a Christmas present. :) I'll probably end up helping the recipient install the box in the spring, so I'll let everyone know how it works out.

As a side note, that junkyard Jeep pitman arm was harder to remove that any that I've ever encountered (and I've done a few before). I fought with that thing for hours, until I eventually caved and just used a cut-off wheel to cut through the arm ALMOST to the spines in two places. That's the only way I could get the puller to move it at all.

#370 ·
As a side note, that junkyard Jeep pitman arm was harder to remove that any that I've ever encountered (and I've done a few before). I fought with that thing for hours, until I eventually caved and just used a cut-off wheel to cut through the arm ALMOST to the spines in two places. That's the only way I could get the puller to move it at all.
I had to do the same to my jeep box. Bent up my puller and worked my impact to death until I broke out the cut off wheel, then it was like butter.

#369 ·
I temporarily mounted JGC box to a frame, used good penetration oil a few times over a period of a day, applied a little heat to the the Pitman arm after several attempts and it was still pretty hard to get off. One inch drive breakover with cheater pipe extension.

A second one was a little easier so they vary some.

Manufacturing tolerance stack would make a difference.

#376 ·
I should have read through this all before I replied. I think my package had one small (16mm?) fitting and one large (18mm?) fitting. I'll get my friend to open the package and try threading them in. I know for sure his steering box is an original from a '98 Grand Cherokee, as I pulled it myself this November at a U-pull-it yard.

#377 ·
I should have read through this all before I replied. I think my package had one small (16mm?) fitting and one large (18mm?) fitting.
Oh CRAP !!!!!!!!!!!!

You are correct...mine are the same as yours.

I failed Test Fitting 101.

PLEASE DISREGARD MY "NO FIT" RANT.

#379 ·
Mounted the new gear box and installed the adapters.

New problem: The down curving return tube on the pump now interferes with the pressure line due to raised height of adapter.:pout:

Soooooo, I cut the curve part of the tube off and welded it back so it curves out the side. Hope I didun ruin sumpin. :rolleyes: