Team Chevelle banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

1970 bumper pad

7K views 8 replies 8 participants last post by  dsolomon 
#1 ·
The bumper pad on my ss clone was peeling off so bad that I ended up just ripping it off. I've got all the glue off the bumper and the pad. Now I want to glue it back on but I don't know about the glue. Friend of mine told me that I should only use the glue that you get from the repo manufacturers.
I was hoping some of you folks have had some experiene with this and could give me some advice.
Much appreciated.

#2 ·
I can't remember but I used either the GM emblem adhesive or super weatherstrip on mine over 15yrs ago and have had no problems. My bumber was off at the time so it was easy to put some pressure on it. You might have a tough time with the bumper on the car.

------------------
Steve Strasemeier (70SS 396, Fathom Blue/White Stripes)

#3 ·
Go to the hardware store and purchase 4 small tubes of lepages #8 glue its almost like crazy glue it works. check there chart at the store and see that its best for rubber and steel.sand the back of the pad and scatch the bumper put the glue on the rubber and wait 3 min . Then take a winch strap and 2 4x4 about the length of the wide part and tighten it up . place small ropes around each end of the bumper to hook to .
put small pieces of 2x4 in the center.

leave over night

this has worked 2 times for me

OH make sure to get it staight first time it dries instant!!

Good luck

Kirk # 546 SEVNTE

------------------

#4 ·
Last year on my '70 the pad was coming off in the center area. I went to the auto paint store and bought "Structural Adhesive", which is much stronger than a normal heavy-duty adhesive. Worked great.

------------------
Stan Hanek
'66 SS - 396 4 sp.
stan.hanek@weyerhaeuser.com

#5 ·
Call Year One or Ausies and order the correct glue ,, it has a 2 week shelf life so dont order it untill you are ready to do the job

------------------
John
Catapiller Mechanic
Salinas,Ca
70SS 454 Clone {in construction}

#9 ·
Adding to an old post just in case it might help someone in the future.

PROUDroad relocated. If you have an old bumper pad and mail in the post card, you will need to send it to the following address.

PROUDroad Inc
2015 Preisker Lane
Suite E & F
Santa Maria CA 93454
800-624-7561

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.