Team Chevelle banner

How to cut Wrought Iron...?

31K views 16 replies 16 participants last post by  ss1970chev454 
#1 ·
Hello-
I need to create an opening in a wrought iron railing, so a dog can pass thru. I need to make three cuts to remove one "spindle". I think this stuff is solid, not hollow.

What do I need to cut it, don't have a torch. Pics below........and thank you.

ktownkid

See less See more
#11 ·
Yeah, cutoff wheel in my air cutter would be gone in a minute or two. But I still have the hacksaw for backup!

#14 ·
Done wrought iron work for 10 years. Best way to cut that 1/2 picket is a grinder getting the cut as close to the bottom rail as you can, or you can cut the bottom rail off if you don't need it and weld it back in at the height you cut the pickets out giving the look it's always was made like that. A hacksaw would be a uphill battle with a 1/2 square stock, jig saw would burn up blades, and the saws-all could bend the blades its it gets jammed.

#16 ·
Sounds to me like a darn good excuse to go to home depot and buy a 4 1/2 inch angle grinder. I use mine so often it has paid for itself many times over.

That small one might do it, but it will certainly take considerably loinger if the compressor behind it isnt up to the task of spinning it fast enough. Get a really thin metal wheel and a good grinding wheel to smooth it down once its cut off.

Jeff

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.