Team Chevelle banner

Z010 cam specs help?

12K views 9 replies 7 participants last post by  StevenS 
#1 ·
I'm tearing down my 400 SBC to replace the heads with Vortecs and I was planning on a Comp 280H cam to swap for what I had figured wasn't much of a cam that's in there, but now I'm wondering. The old cam is stamped Z010 on the back (dizzy end), and if I'm measuring correctly it's got like .325 lobe lift (measured with calipers diameter along a lobe, then diamerter 90 degrees away, got ~.500, and ~.175 = .5 - .175 = .325). Can anybody tell me the specs on this? I could only find one post online and the guy there said it's a 292H cam with ~.501 lift which is possible my measurements are kind of rough. Thanks in advance!

It does not have a cam company name stamped or cast into it, my new 280H Comp says Comp Cams 280H stamped on the end.

#2 ·
Well I just remeasured and came up with 1.510" and 1.175" so 1.51 - 1.175 = .325 * 1.5 = .502 lift, somewhere I saw an answer that this cam is a 292H which has .501 lift, maybe this is correct? Can anybody veryify?

I remeasured the Comp 280H since it's a known and came up with 1.530" and 1.210" which gives .320" which is the advertised lobe lift for that cam...Hmmm

#3 ·
But that leaves out the more important spec: the duration @ .050 which is what you want to focus on when shopping for a new cam. That and the LSA. ;) And that would be a bit more difficult to measure. Particularly with dial calipers. Sorry though, I don't know the specs on that cam. Hopefully someone else will chime in.

#4 ·
i just got a clevite cam, new in the box but its an old grind they dont make anymore, ZL-1 cam from 1969 (clevites version of it with a wider lobe seperation everything else the same)and i have been emailing with a clevite rep. and on the back of this new cam is "Z026" he told me this:

"This must be a very old cam if there is not a 229 number on the box. If we had this in our line, it was discontinued long ago.

The "Z026" marking on the rear of the cam is the last 3 digits of the supplier. Based on this, he has the cam with 262/273 duration @.050."

so maybe just maybe its a clevite cam mine was for a bbc. im still trying to dig information out of this guy on more specs since my box cam with two stickers on it with two different lobe seperation numbers one was 112 and the other 116.25.

in the past i had a few cams given to me and no info on them other then they ran really good in such and such engine..............never knowing the specs of them all i did was measure the lobes and made a degree wheel and took some .050" reading from opening and closing points to give me a rough idea how big the cam was.

one cam gave me 5" of vacuum at idle 800 rpms and had a real rump rump sound to it so i thought it was pretty big but had no specs i just ran it , then i finally made a degree wheel. it had about a .500 lift ( bbc cam) i thought small lift, but it had about 240 degrees at .050" . another cam had 230 something degrees and i used degree wheel on other known cams to give me an idea of how close it might be.

this was the cheapest way for me to find out what i had without sending cam off to get it read.

i save these cams for back ups in case i have one go flat or if im building a low dollar engine for the heck of it.

so if the cam is in good shape maybe just hold on to it use it for a future build and put a cam in that you want to run with known specs.

#6 ·
I had one of these cams still in the box. For historical purposes I’m posting this information to help people in the future.

As follows:

Old Clevite part number: 229-1995 (obsolete) grind by Elgin.
Cam number Z010
New company and part number selling cam: Elgin #E1067

Valve lift: int 488 ex 508
Cam lift: int 325 ex 339
Duration @.050 int 234 ext 244
Lobe spread: 112 degrees
BTC: 10
ABC: 44
BBC: 59
ATC: 5

Thanks, Rick Akin

#8 ·
Just so you know the last post before #6 in this thread is from March 08 so it's an old thread, that is all.

#9 ·
That should read post #5 and up is march 08 and from post's #6 >on is new
that is all

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.